Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask

Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask (Page 14)
Thread Tools
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 05:46 AM
 
Theres no real problem having a different minimum living wage regionally as this figure is going to vary quite a bit over time anyway.
Seems to me that a minimum living wage ought to be enough to house (mortgage rather than rent), feed, clothe, educate and cover healthcare for two adults and two kids. Some might argue a modest family leisure budget and a holiday once a year is also fair. Working full time and not being able to feed yourself is outrageous. Moreso working in a supermarket.

Every full time job for adults ought to cover that otherwise the business model is wrong.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 06:36 AM
 
It was claimed “not enough” was undefined, while “not enough to live on” was defined as the poverty line.

I brought up the fact the poverty line was a single number to show its definition is somewhat arbitrary. If “not enough to live on” can be defined arbitrarily, so can “not enough”.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 08:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Every full time job for adults ought to cover that otherwise the business model is wrong.
This is a reasonable argument.

My argument is wrong ≠ pointless.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 11:09 AM
 
Republicans: Raising the minimum wage would put make businesses unprofitable and force them to shutdown.

Democrats: Raising the minimum wage results in local consumers having more money to spend locally, increasing profits at local businesses.

Have experiments or analyses been done to measure this sort of outcome?
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 11:43 AM
 
I think Reaganomics trickle-down theory failure might be proof. The Repubs are fearmongering. Big business can definitely afford to pay $15 min wage and the CEOS will still get million-dollar bonuses. <50 employees? Not sure.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Edit: to put it another way, if I need three apples, one or two apples is better than no apples, correct?
As my grandfather used to say, "It's better than a kick in the head, sure." (enhance with wicked maine drawl here)
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Republicans: Raising the minimum wage would put make businesses unprofitable and force them to shutdown.

Democrats: Raising the minimum wage results in local consumers having more money to spend locally, increasing profits at local businesses.

Have experiments or analyses been done to measure this sort of outcome?
From when this was last brought up in the PWL ages ago, the argument is more...

Republican economists: MW is a price floor, and it constricts demand as price floors do. Increasing the MW will constrict the demand for labor, and will therefore increase unemployment.

Democratic economists: that’s the theory, but not what actually happens.

The Democrats don’t need to get to the increased consumer spending argument because their thesis is the Republicans are incorrect in the first place.


If I recall correctly, the Democratic economists have decent data to support their proposition, but I’m sure there’s some level we could set the MW and it would end up doing what the Republicans say it would do.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 12:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think Reaganomics trickle-down theory failure might be proof.
GIven the deification of Reagan by modern day Republicans, I don't think trickle-down is widely believed to be a failure.

The Repubs are fearmongering. Big business can definitely afford to pay $15 min wage and the CEOS will still get million-dollar bonuses. <50 employees? Not sure.
Given that McDonalds' and Wal-Mart's employees are the biggest consumers of welfare and other government benefits, one wonders that, were those benefits not available, would Wal-Mart and McDonalds have to raise their wages?
     
Doc HM
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 12:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Republicans: Raising the minimum wage would put make businesses unprofitable and force them to shutdown.

Democrats: Raising the minimum wage results in local consumers having more money to spend locally, increasing profits at local businesses.

Have experiments or analyses been done to measure this sort of outcome?
Republicans/Tories: Lets run the experiment for 40 years and see if we are right. Oh we aren't. Never mind lets keep doing it in case the facts change.

Democrats/Labour: Lets try it our way and see shall we?

Republicans/Tories/brainwashed masses: What! Are you mad!! What if you are wrong? Also bosses like it this way.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Doc HM
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 12:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
GIven the deification of Reagan by modern day Republicans, I don't think trickle-down is widely believed to be a failure.
And those two things are related how?
And by not a failure do you mean wildly wildly WILDLY inefficient?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2020, 01:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
And those two things are related how?
And by not a failure do you mean wildly wildly WILDLY inefficient?
Republicans love Reagan and believe he was the perfect president. He swept the '84 election, showing how unified our country was. No president since him can compare.

Because of that perception, his policies must be assumed to be wonderful and perfect.

According to a significant percentage of the US population, trickle down is still a valid theory. Any information suggesting otherwise is fake news, liberal university bullshit, Democratic propaganda, socialism, communism, etc.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2020, 05:05 PM
 
Have Christiane Amanpour and Ghislane Maxwell ever been in the same room?
     
taha166
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2020
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2020, 02:28 AM
 
We need leaders like Martin King Luthor and people that an unite all races, color people together. These people speeches were so inspring that i learn leadership quotes everyday to inspire and be like them.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2020, 02:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by taha166 View Post
Martin King Luthor
“Soon after his debut, Marvel was quick to introduce their own character, Professor X Malcolm.”
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2020, 07:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by taha166 View Post
Martin King Luthor
Arch nemesis of Supremacyman.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2020, 07:58 AM
 
"I have a dream that one day, children will be judged not by color of their sun, but by the content of their kryptonite."
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 08:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Arch nemesis of Supremacyman.
Winner.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,