Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 29)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 04:57 PM

I think my preference to the FAL is its better up close. Burst weapons in CQB can be real bad if you miss that first burst.

Like I said, I'm still working it out.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 05:12 PM

Out of all the 360 owners here, I think Dakar's xbox lasted the longest.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much dead. I figure if it shows the RRoD once you are in sh!t city.

Warranty? Or are you going to have to buy a new one entirely out of pocket? Either way make sure you get a new Jasper unit, mine runs much much cooler than any of my previous models....even if the DVD drive is about twice as loud now...
Yeah, what's up with that? The DVD drive in my new elite is way louder than the one in my previous 360.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 05:15 PM

Mine makes a really annoying vibration sound that stops after about 10 minutes of use. This sound is absent if I'm not playing a game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 05:15 PM

Probably cutting costs somehow.

Out of all my friends I think mine lasted the longest as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 06:01 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, congrats to everyone who was in our new record for lowest game ever: 7500 - 1500

I think I died once or twice in the last minute or two,which really killed the score.

But still nothing better than the our show of complete air superiority by having 2 Harriers, a Pavelow, and an AC-130 in the air. They probably thought we were glitching.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 07:09 PM

I've rediscovered the joys of HC. Especially HC S&D.

I hate playing it on Derail or Scrapyard though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 08:08 PM

Attempting to spare myself of yet another week of sleep deprivation, I'll be on earlier now till only 11.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, congrats to everyone who was in our new record for lowest game ever: 7500 - 1500
Looking back at that game, I should have went for the "Get 10 kills in a row without using a kill streak reward" challenge. I really want that Soap/Luigi emblem.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Looking back at that game, I should have went for the "Get 10 kills in a row without using a kill streak reward" challenge. I really want that Soap/Luigi emblem.
Is that a challenge? Hmmph, I'll have to do that tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, it's a great emblem. I got mine somewhat incidentally when I was camping the hell out of the room overlooking the tunnel on Skid Row.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2010, 07:25 AM

You guys hear anything about a 'new' MW2 coming out in November, being done by Treyarch?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 08:53 AM

I heard it's going to be set in the Vietnam war.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 08:58 AM

Last night I Prestiged, yay, also broke the 1000 kills mark with the M1014...which was surprising considering I had just over 500 kills not that long ago.

Probably won't play tonight, unless I see some of you guys on around 9.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I've rediscovered the joys of HC. Especially HC S&D.

I hate playing it on Derail or Scrapyard though.
I have yet to play a single HC match. Are the other players a bit more mature than in TDM and FFA? I always had that perception of the types that HC would draw.

I think I died once or twice in the last minute or two,which really killed the score.
I believe I was there for that one. It's also most likely that I was responsible for five of our deaths. My average kill count has gone up, but I still die a ton. My apologies; it could've possibly been 7500-1000 or below.

But still nothing better than the our show of complete air superiority by having 2 Harriers, a Pavelow, and an AC-130 in the air. They probably thought we were glitching.
You know you've done well when the lobby starts swearing at you the moment the killcam makes its appearance.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 12:54 PM

I joined into a match last night on Highrise. My team was losing 1000-0 when I showed up. Luckily I was on fire and ended the match 34-4, called in two Chopper Gunners, and pretty much forced my team to victory single-handed. The entire lobby was aghast at my pwnage, and I was paired with the same team for the next match, in which I went 9-13. Needless to say they didn't think I was a god anymore.

Seeing as the M4 is about on par with the ACR I shouldn't have to much trouble in the AR department, but I am really going to miss the M1014. I mean, I unlocked it at level 54 and got over 1000 kills (1008 to be exact) before I prestiged. I've come to heavily rely on that weapon, this prestige should be a shock to the system.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 12:59 PM

You guys hear anything about a 'new' MW2 coming out in November, being done by Treyarch?
You mean COD? Jesus, man.

Last night I Prestiged, yay, also broke the 1000 kills mark with the M1014...which was surprising considering I had just over 500 kills not that long ago.
...and you were worried about Prestiging. Also: Holy crap that was quick.

Now it's time for you to rock the SPAS.

Seeing as the M4 is about on par with the ACR I shouldn't have to much trouble in the AR department, but I am really going to miss the M1014.
The M4 is an adequate substitute. The sights aren't quite as good, but whatever.

• I won't be on til 10 (LOST)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 01:22 PM

Now it's time for you to rock the SPAS.
I look forward to being stabbed in the face between pumps.

Had a run-in with some dude certainly using FMJ/Akimbo on 1887s last night, range was retarded. He was able to kill me, with one blast, from easily 40 feet away. I suspect he had host as well.

Also joined a match on Afghan that we lost 7500-2200. When I joined the game there was a Harrier and Chopper Gunner in the air. Then two Pavelows. Then more Harriers. I literally spawned in a little cranny and stayed there for a solid 5 minutes only to have a Predator MIssile jammed up my ass. Now I know how the teams we destroy feel.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 01:25 PM

I look forward to being stabbed in the face between pumps.
I'd think a man like you might find a way to use the added range over the M1014 to compensate.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 01:33 PM

Eh, the limited range of the M1014 was barely noticeable for the way I used it. I'll whip out the shotty for CQB, and in that respect the spread and semi-auto fire is what saves my ass, not accuracy. Most of my M1014 kills were 2-burst, having one shot to deal with in CQB means I'll have to tone down my aggressiveness. Which is ok, I'm looking forward to exploring different avenues of gameplay this time around.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah, but the SPAS is a one-shot kill 90% of the time so wouldn't that make up for not being able to pump out that second one faster?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I have yet to play a single HC match. Are the other players a bit more mature than in TDM and FFA? I always had that perception of the types that HC would draw.
Uh, no. In fact it seems that lots of kids (squeaky voices) play HC S&D. What is annoying is that sometimes they are excellent as well. HC TDM maybe. I didn't work yesterday and those that I played with during the day seemed like a pretty good bunch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 04:11 PM

So, has anyone gotten the "Get two kills with bullets while in mid-air" challenge? I imagine if you have you probably did it on Hardcore.

--

So my buddy with the PS3 is serious about getting a 360 this weekend. Looks like yet another person who may be on occasionally on weeknights.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2010, 04:36 PM

Had a run-in with some dude certainly using FMJ/Akimbo on 1887s last night, range was retarded. He was able to kill me, with one blast, from easily 40 feet away. I suspect he had host as well.
Yeah, I always swear when I run into someone using those or the akimbo Rangers, since I hardly use shotguns. But I've added the M1014 lately to my runner class and gotten quite a few kills indoors with it.

I think next prestige, I'm going to check out shotguns more in 1 or 2 of my classes.

The running animation with the two shotguns is hilarious though. You look like your running with a couple of sticks - one in each handl
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah, but the SPAS is a one-shot kill 90% of the time so wouldn't that make up for not being able to pump out that second one faster?
The M1014 is usually a one-hit kill as well, the two bursts accounts for not making contact/lag/painkiller for the first shot. I've had decent luck with the SPAS in the past, but I doubt I can be nearly as bold with it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 05:12 PM

Like I said, I need to run with you sometime. I saw some guy wrecking with it, but I think that was FFA.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 01:45 PM

Thoughts on 2nd Prestige:

- The SPAS has crazy range, and a penchant for headshots.

- The M4 is almost dead-even with the ACR, but I feel it has more recoil, which hurts my killing ability at long range. Still, I am comfortable in the thought of using it exclusively until I unlock the ACR.

- The throwing knife is pretty fun to use, first time giving it a try, but I wonder its effectiveness. I feel when I kill somebody with it I could have easily done so with either of my weapons.

- I no longer use Cold Blooded (I have SP instead) so the only perk I currently hate not having is Ninja Pro. I succumbed to several kills via the heartbeat sensor and was not amused.

Other thoughts:

- The care package glitch is now ubiquitous, can't go a few matches without seeing it.

- The spawning in Sub Base, while still a good level, is absolutely horrid. Worst spawns in the game IMO.

- I officially have come to despise Thermal. I can't use it worth a damn, but I am getting pwned by it on Wasteland, Underpass, and Derail.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 01:56 PM

- I officially have come to despise Thermal. I can't use it worth a damn, but I am getting pwned by it on Wasteland, Underpass, and Derail.
Yes it seems to be used more these days and like you I don't care for it. I find it washes out detail, that I need. I know I got owned by it on Underpass more than the other two maps you mentioned and even invasion.

I'll have to try thermal again, next prestige - I still need to get 30 km of running this prestige and I'm trying to finish my precision air strike and emergency air drop killstreak chanllenges for which I need 4 more. I'm so close.

I had a so-so night yesterday. Half my game ended on a negative k/d, and the other half ended on positive. There seemed to be alot of pros on last night.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 10:25 PM

Had a great evening - finished off my killstreak challenges up to 8 killstreak mark. Got 4 emergency arir drops in one evening - that's a new record for me. Just have to run another 28 miles to finish the marathon perk and then I'm prestiging. That should happen this weekend or earlier.

I've got to catch up to Sek (Fatty), again.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 05:10 AM

In HC (TDM or S&D) 99% of players have cold blooded. The thermal is therefore useless. In std TDM I have a thermal on the 50 + FMJ setup (yet with cold-blooded) that I can usually do well with. Except on derail because they screwed up how derail should appear through a thermal. I haven't tried thermal on any other weapon.

I'm enjoying the Tar with a silencer, both in std and hc matches. No need for SP. I have scavenger for std matches though - just in case.

If there is anyone who wonders if they should prestige or not, I offer this : the number of slots allows you to have enough configurations to meet any opponent type on any map. Having one dedicated crazy commando class and one anti-chopper class can save a match.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 11:05 AM

In HC (TDM or S&D) 99% of players have cold blooded. The thermal is therefore useless. In std TDM I have a thermal on the 50 + FMJ setup (yet with cold-blooded) that I can usually do well with. Except on derail because they screwed up how derail should appear through a thermal. I haven't tried thermal on any other weapon.
That explains why thermal is probably bugging me this prestige - I've been switching between Hardline and Coldblooded. I usually start off a match with Hardline to get my hardline perk challenge and get killstreaks easier, and then switch to Coldblooded later in the match if the enemy is sending out killstreak rewards.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 11:26 AM

Thoughts on 2nd Prestige:

- The SPAS has crazy range, and a penchant for headshots.
**** yeah!

- The M4 is almost dead-even with the ACR, but I feel it has more recoil, which hurts my killing ability at long range. Still, I am comfortable in the thought of using it exclusively until I unlock the ACR.
You are exactly right.

- The throwing knife is pretty fun to use, first time giving it a try, but I wonder its effectiveness. I feel when I kill somebody with it I could have easily done so with either of my weapons.
It's a quick one-hit kill weapon. It's also quite good for saving your ass when you run out of ammo mid-fight.

I go back and forth on it. I really despise people who are spotting me because a sliver of my shoulder came through 50 trees, a window and a doorway.

My new pet peeve is the M21 users. All they do is get half a bead on you and then spam their magazine.

In HC (TDM or S&D) 99% of players have cold blooded. The thermal is therefore useless. In std TDM I have a thermal on the 50 + FMJ setup (yet with cold-blooded) that I can usually do well with.
It's a small lament that no matter what they do, one red perk dominates each game type.

---

Some other stuff:

• logged on after i called off work yesterday and got put into a match with some douches boosting. I spent the next three games breaking up their party (barely breaking even doing so). FInally, they left, so I played another game, then joined their game, and broke up their party again. They then partied up and played some other gametypes.

• Getting real mixed feelings about the FAL. Not seeing the great benefit unless you have an amazing trigger finger or get lots of headshots. SIlenced I may like it best, but unsilenced its like the Hammerburst from Gow2

• If I joined 20 games in progress the past two days 12+ of them had to be Derailed. Its been ****ing maddening.

• Every match has care package glitching. Every match. Even the Javelin was never this bad, though probably because they patched it quicker.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 11:42 AM

I was in a match last night on Quarry where my team and the other team were doing the care package glitch.

Highlight of my night was a match in Karachi. My buddy calls in a care package nears the shacks across the way from our usual rooftop garrison. It turns out to be a chopper gunner and a sh!tshow ensues. We go back and forth exchanging bodies over the crate until two of my teammates and myself get noobed. I spawn near the bus area and throw a grenade over the building, lands right at the crate and kills two guys near it. Pure bullshit, but still awesome.

Another sweet moment. I get my 4th kill, care package is a Predator, then I get another kill, which is a Predator. I die after getting my harriers, and quickly rack up another 4 kills for a care package...another harrier! I had two harriers in the air at once, I think I went 30-2 that game.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 12:03 PM

It's a small lament that no matter what they do, one red perk dominates each game type.
Yup.

Yet some people have some great ideas on how perks can be used to full effect. A guy (who luckily was on my side last night) was telling me about his setup. He has One Man Army on a class. He gets an AC-130. Before launching the AC-130 he switches to another class with Danger Close. He launches the AC-130. He is God. I just don't think of that sort of thing, its sort of like the chess masters thinking 5 moves ahead. I can't even remember if I planted my claymore or not - in HC matches of course.

BTW, going to play our first official match tonight. 4v4 in TDM and then S&D - both std. Apparently its 4v4 because the sponsors have a limited amount of prizes and its std because there aren't enough competitive clans in Europe who play HC S&D. Highrise for TDM and Karachi for S&D. The funny part ? I'm Captain.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 12:34 PM

Last night I only played a few matches until I logged off in disgust. Three TDMs out of four (three different groups) of people care package glitching and running away with matches they had no business winning.

IW has to fix this. Now. People are going to get turned off of the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 12:35 PM

The patch is in cert. If MS has any brains they push it out tomorrow so we don't have to endure a third weekend of this crap.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2010, 01:21 PM

I'm curious, how is patching achieved on the 360? Is there like an update center for all played games, letting you know of any updates? Is it as you start the game? And then how are they applied? There are usually no files located on the hard drive to patch, so it must just be files that compile and come in to effect each time the game starts?

I only ask because I honestly have no clue. I have a Wii which to my knowledge is incapable of releasing updates for disc titles. And then WiiWare, VC, or Channel items do not alert you of updates, but you can find that they are available in the shop channel.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 03:57 PM

I believe when you start up the game again, it will say, "An update is available, blah, blah, blah..." and install itself.

Or am I thinking of PS3?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 04:01 PM

Highlight of my night was a match in Karachi. My buddy calls in a care package nears the shacks across the way from our usual rooftop garrison. It turns out to be a chopper gunner and a sh!tshow ensues. We go back and forth exchanging bodies over the crate until two of my teammates and myself get noobed. I spawn near the bus area and throw a grenade over the building, lands right at the crate and kills two guys near it. Pure bullshit, but still awesome.

Another sweet moment. I get my 4th kill, care package is a Predator, then I get another kill, which is a Predator. I die after getting my harriers, and quickly rack up another 4 kills for a care package...another harrier! I had two harriers in the air at once, I think I went 30-2 that game.
I keep meaning to ask, you making any progress on cheezy?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I believe when you start up the game again, it will say, "An update is available, blah, blah, blah..." and install itself.

Or am I thinking of PS3?
Correct. I believe it usually states, as well, that you can't play the game online until you apply the patch. You're usually stuck to apply the patch.

How the patch gets incorporated into the game is beyond me, because as you said, unless you request to have the game loaded to the HD, the game exists on CD.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 04:44 PM

Oooo, I forgot to mention, I finally remembered to do the Riot Shield - Harrier distraction last night. That was hella fun, though it's hard to believe it fired only 100 bullets at me. Definitely gonna try that again.

---

In other news, I'll have crew of 4 running at 9 tonight. We have a plan that if we can get a full party of six we're gonna all go cold-blooded, thus screwing care package glitchers.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 05:15 PM

That riot shield - Harrier distraction does sound fun. I might try that tonight.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 05:40 PM

Oooo, I forgot to mention, I finally remembered to do the Riot Shield - Harrier distraction last night. That was hella fun, though it's hard to believe it fired only 100 bullets at me. Definitely gonna try that again.
Is this to get one of the riot shield challenges? What do you do? Do you just use your riot shield without cold-blooded while an enemy Harrier is out?

I haven't heard of this.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
In other news, I'll have crew of 4 running at 9 tonight. We have a plan that if we can get a full party of six we're gonna all go cold-blooded, thus screwing care package glitchers.
That sounds like fun, but I can't be on past 8:00 usually on a weekday. People want the TV. Besides if I do that, I'm gonna get addicted to this game and be playing it night and day.

On the subject of that glitch, though, I haven't seen that glitch in any games I played. Strange.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 05:44 PM

Best thing I read all day:

I was playing Ground War Deathmatch on Wasteland, and the other team was all in a party. Well, turns out they all decided to put Ghillie suits on and coordinate, so when the game started, my whole team couldn't find them for a good few minutes. Literally. We didn't see a single enemy for 2 or 3 minutes, and we thought they had been kicked out or something.

I start walking through the grass between where C is in Domination and the Cemetary, and all of a sudden... NINE PEOPLE IN GHILLIE SUITS GET UP AT THE SAME TIME AND RUSH ME AND ANOTHER GUY WITH ME. I was so dumbfounded I was just shooting blindly, but they all overtook me, and I swear to God, I think 3 of them knifed me at once.

I was screaming into the mic to my friends who were playing with me what just happened, and they went to investigate, and said no one was there. They checked everywhere in the grass, and couldn't find them. Next thing we know, all nine of those ghillie guys were now in the bunker, set up to take us down for most of the rest of the game.

By the time we started penetrating into the bunker a little, THEY ALL THREW SMOKE GRENADES OUT ALL THREE ENTRANCES. It was nuts, and we didn't know whether they were coming out or staying in, so we just threw grenades into the smoke and shot in. None of them died, and when the smoke cleared, they were gone. Apparently they went out one way and killed my friend.

THEN THEY DID THE GRASS THING ALL OVER AGAIN. The time ran out and we only had about 6 or 7 kills on them TOTAL. They each had maybe 10 kills... each

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 07:25 PM

Sweet, I'm in. I'll probably be on all night and early morning.

I keep meaning to ask, you making any progress on cheezy?
I'm about to pass him up in score, and I've always been schooling him in wins. But his rank and kills are still far ahead of me, his K/D squeaked up to 1.31 in the past few days, I'm nipping as his heels with a 1.29

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 11:23 AM

I'm about to pass him up in score, and I've always been schooling him in wins. But his rank and kills are still far ahead of me, his K/D squeaked up to 1.31 in the past few days, I'm nipping as his heels with a 1.29
Funny i should mention the guy and he shows up last night.

Too bad we couldn't get things going with the big party.

Did you guys have any connection issues last night? Our buddy SubieCubed finished an entire game three times, the rest he got booted from. Also twice our entire team was booted back to lobby mid-game (party , not pre-game). One of the times saint said he won as he was the only person left in the match.

Up to 20 penetration kills with the FAL. That 20 in two days, awesome.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 12:09 PM

Funny i should mention the guy and he shows up last night.

Too bad we couldn't get things going with the big party.

Did you guys have any connection issues last night? Our buddy SubieCubed finished an entire game three times, the rest he got booted from. Also twice our entire team was booted back to lobby mid-game (party , not pre-game). One of the times saint said he won as he was the only person left in the match.

Up to 20 penetration kills with the FAL. That 20 in two days, awesome.
I had some weird issues. Once as a match was about to begin, it got stuck on the "waiting for players" loading screen and I had to quit the game. Also most of my matches seemed abnormally laggy.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 12:20 PM

Aren't you on PS3?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

Aren't you on PS3?
Yeah. If the problems were on the matchmaking server side, I don't know if they might have been across both platforms.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 01:05 PM

Best thing I read all day:
Freakin' awesome.

I imagine even if you were on the losing side, that had to be trippy enough that you kind of enjoyed it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 01:26 PM

Patch is out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules