Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I Set Up My Stereo Speakers Connected to an Airport Express as remote speakers?

Can I Set Up My Stereo Speakers Connected to an Airport Express as remote speakers?
urban
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 12:03 PM

I am about to buy an Airport Express Base Station and I was just wondering if I could use it to connect to a pair of stereo speakers and use them as the remote speakers. So whenever I watch a movie or just surf the web the sounds will come out from the stereo speakers.

Thanks.
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 12:19 PM

you can connect your speakers to the airport express, and itunes will have a new button. click that and you can choose computer or your remote speakers, and music will play through them. works flawlessly.

you are going to need something like airfoil to stream other than itunes app's sound to your basestation. i have not played with airfoil but i have read that audio does not sync to movies very well with it. but give it a try.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2005, 12:24 AM

AirTunes causes a delay, so it's really only good for listening to music. For anything interactive, or that is synchronized to something else (like a video or game) it's not that great.

tooki

kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 07:34 PM

its pretty much only good for iTunes. I just bought one, hoping to free my desk of speaker cables. No luck if you wanna watch a movie. Airfoil will allow you to stream the sound from the dvd player to the airport express, but then you learn pretty quick why that functionality is not enabled by default. the sound sync is WAY off. Airfoil says to use another player, like VLC that has de-synchronization adjustment, but it doesn't help.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by urban
I am about to buy an Airport Express Base Station and I was just wondering if I could use it to connect to a pair of stereo speakers and use them as the remote speakers. So whenever I watch a movie or just surf the web the sounds will come out from the stereo speakers.

Thanks.
...unless your speakers are powered, you'll also need an amp for the speakers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules