Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Don't bend or lose the memory door on the powerbook.

Don't bend or lose the memory door on the powerbook.
urban
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 04:12 PM

I have a 12" Powerbook and I bought a 1GB of RAM and couldn't be more excited. So I opened the memory door to get access to the RAM slot. Except only two screws would come off. The other 2 screws just refused to come loose. The screws were so malleable they broke before I could unscrew them. So I had to pry open the memory door. I went to an Apple retailer only to find out it cost $30CDN (US$24) to replace the damn piece of metal. I had thought of taking my pbook to a tech to get the door open for me. But I figured I wouldn't wanna pay $85CDN/hr to the tech to get the door open. So in the end I guessed I made the right decision.
But then I got a decent deal on the RAM, $200CDN (US$160). Btw, the RAM (by kingmax) works fine but the pbook runs hotter now. But I don't regret it.
I was going to get 512MB but then I was like what the hell, I might as well max it. This pbook will stay with me for another 2 yrs and then I'll get a mactel.

Just thought I wanted to complain about the memory door.
CHeers.
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

Pennstate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 08:12 PM

I have the Kingmax 1GB module in my 12" PB and it runs cooler. I think it's because the hard drive doesn't have to spin as much

itasor
Jun 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

$24 for the door isn't THAT BAD considering how much they charge for other stupid things like this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules