Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac is made in the USA!

Power Mac is made in the USA!
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 12:07 AM

While looking at the bottom of my new G5.. I noticed something which really put a smile on my face. "assembled in the USA"

While, I'm sure that many of the components are made in Asia and maybe Mexico etc... it is nevertheless encouraging to see that final assembly is still American on a box that costs $3000+ (closer to $5000 with all the crap I have in it!).

Apple store employees are all American, additionally Apple still has (mostly) American (and some Canadian) tech support with Apple Care which is also a big plus.. in a time when almost all Dell and Gateway tech support is in India.

For me, that's reason alone to buy a Mac.

Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 01:16 AM

Very good points. I don't really base my buying decisions solely on country of origin, but it sure is nice when it works out that way.

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
Very good points. I don't really base my buying decisions solely on country of origin, but it sure is nice when it works out that way.
Don't get me wrong, I don't either.. I drive a VW and a Volvo, own Swiss watches and guns, and love japanese audio equipment, but I like my Apple (an American firm) products to have some American origin (other than the designed by Apple bs, that a lot of their stuff carries).

Anywho.... it a well made computer, that's for sure.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2004, 05:30 AM

WD Raptor 10000RPM 74GB
Two questions:[list=1][*]noise level compared to the stock drive[*]speed difference to the stock dive[/list=1]

I plan to do the same ... if there is no negative effect in terms of noise and a positive effect in terms of speed!

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
Even US hand-made PCs with US made Windows will get Virus and Spyware problems (whether it's US malware or form another origin!)

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
Two questions:[list=1][*]noise level compared to the stock drive[*]speed difference to the stock dive[/list=1]

I plan to do the same ... if there is no negative effect in terms of noise and a positive effect in terms of speed!
It's like this... if your one of those guys that looses it when his computer makes the slightest noise, or when the fans spin up for 3 seconds occasionally, steer away from it. It's basically noiseless when it's doing nothing (other than spinning 10000RPM).. however, when the read write head moves back and forth to read apps etc... it makes that classic Hard Drive deep clicking sound (slightly audible but by no means loud). This is very temporary (a couple of seconds), as you're not opening and closing apps every minute (I may do it once in an hour or less).

Now as for speed.. on x-bench I got an almost 20% increase in speed across the board with most tests vs the 250GB Maxtor MaxLite II that Apple sent me, but real world results are even nicer.

My boot up is snappier, Apps like Photoshop, FCP, and Word launch in what seems like 1/3 less time, and with the advantage of using it strictly as a system/application drive and the other drive as a user/data drive, I get the tramendous added benefit of the multi-threading of the SATA bus, as data is being sent by both drives at a rate that almost (but not quite) bottle necks the bus, and therefore provides my system with double the thru-put in certain instances (like clicking on a .jpg on my User drive and having Photoshop open from my System drive all at the same time).

Over all score (0-10).... 9 Cost $250 (+/-)

Also, look at this thread, I started. It has some good info and a good link to a "how to".
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2228300#post2228300

Good luck (and I believe the Raptor is made in the USA!)
( Last edited by UnixMac; Oct 9, 2004 at 10:04 AM. )
Apple user since 1981

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2004, 10:19 AM

Do you know if there is a plan to up the size of the drive? 74GB is just still a bit small. 120GB I could do.

BZ

Originally posted by UnixMac:
It's like this... if your one of those guys that looses it when his computer makes the slightest noise, or when the fans spin up for 3 seconds occasionally, steer away from it. It's basically noiseless when it's doing nothing (other than spinning 10000RPM).. however, when the read write head moves back and forth to read apps etc... it makes that classic Hard Drive deep clicking sound (slightly audible but by no means loud). This is very temporary (a couple of seconds), as you're not opening and closing apps every minute (I may do it once in an hour or less).

Now as for speed.. on x-bench I got an almost 20% increase in speed across the board with most tests vs the 250GB Maxtor MaxLite II that Apple sent me, but real world results are even nicer.

My boot up is snappier, Apps like Photoshop, FCP, and Word launch in what seems like 1/3 less time, and with the advantage of using it strictly as a system/application drive and the other drive as a user/data drive, I get the tramendous added benefit of the multi-threading of the SATA bus, as data is being sent by both drives at a rate that almost (but not quite) bottle necks the bus, and therefore provides my system with double the thru-put in certain instances (like clicking on a .jpg on my User drive and having Photoshop open from my System drive all at the same time).

Over all score (0-10).... 9 Cost $250 (+/-)

Also, look at this thread, I started. It has some good info and a good link to a "how to".
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2228300#post2228300

Good luck (and I believe the Raptor is made in the USA!)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 11:07 AM

The key word is "Assembled". That means that just about everything else is manufactured overseas.

It's better than nothing...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

proton
Senior User
Oct 9, 2004, 11:42 AM

It really depends where you are.

My PowerMac G5 purchased in Australia is "Assembled in China"

- proton

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 01:53 PM

I live in Europe but my Apple t-shirts are assembled in the USA

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

'bout damn time they returned to the US my g4 was made right before they shut down that place in sacramento (elk grove, right?)
Aloha

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Do you know if there is a plan to up the size of the drive? 74GB is just still a bit small. 120GB I could do.

BZ
I know there is a speed increase around the corner (but isn't only about 10%) and it's gonna come at a cost!

As for size, I don't think so, there is something about high speed drives, they can't be too large. The other size is 36GB.

The good news is that my entire OS X and many 3rd party apps all squeeze into 23GB, leaving me with lots of room to add apps. remember, all my data files are gonna reside on the 250GB Maxtor... so you don't need that much space for apps.
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by proton:
It really depends where you are.

My PowerMac G5 purchased in Australia is "Assembled in China"

- proton
That where I thought these were all made... I was genuinely shocked when I read the made in USA.. (again, that's final assembly, but still!).
Apple user since 1981

memory-minus
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 05:23 AM

<snip>...additionally Apple still has (mostly) American (and some Canadian) tech support with Apple Care which is also a big plus.. in a time when almost all Dell and Gateway tech support is in India. <snip>
Bzzt! Wrong, unfortunately. I have called AppleCare within the past 2 weeks and been transferring to India. And nothing against those folks, but let's be honest, it is very difficult to communicate with people for whom English is very obviously a second language, especially when you're trying to describe the kind of problem (a serious one) that someone with a lot of technical skill such as myself would need to call AppleCare about.

HP is NOTORIOUS for this and I will never buy another HP product because of it. I have had a lot of trouble with my OfficeJet d155xi and got to the point where when someone with an Indian accent comes on the line, I very calmly and politely say "Please do not take personal offense, but would you kindly transfer me to someone who speaks English as a first language." And they do it, but I still feel a bit guilty for asking.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by memory-minus:
HP is NOTORIOUS for this and I will never buy another HP product because of it.
I do remember speaking with the Neatherlands about an issue with a HP printer some years ago, how fooled I felt !

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 03:49 PM

this most likely has to do with region. becuz apple has a manufacturing plant in america american ordered computers are assembled there. other regions are probably in different plants around the world. either way i'm glad to see apple is atleast keeping jobs in america. I'm sick of all this outsourcing.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 05:51 AM

My G5 is assembled in Cork, Ireland. I think any G5 European order is made in the Emerald isle?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 10:09 AM

I have the last generation of PowerMac G4 (aka FW800)... I believe the "assembled in the USA" is labeled on the cardboard box, right?

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 12:47 PM

apple has a decent sized operation in ireland,as do quite a few tech firms but whats funny is the british complain about having their tech support call centers over there because they don't like the accent, where as we complain about india. its all relative i suppose.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 11, 2004, 01:03 PM

Mine says "USA" as well.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by weazbert:
apple has a decent sized operation in ireland,as do quite a few tech firms but whats funny is the british complain about having their tech support call centers over there because they don't like the accent, where as we complain about india. its all relative i suppose.

I personally love the Irish accent, but don't think us Brits don't get away without the Indian call centre thing, is happening more and more, and really winds me up when there is a complete lack of understanding, not just me not getting them, but the other way round. I really don't know what jobs will be left in Britain the way foreign outsourcing is going

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by bells0:
My G5 is assembled in Cork, Ireland. I think any G5 European order is made in the Emerald isle?
Yeah, all my Apple stuff is assembled in Ireland!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by bells0:
foreign outsourcing is going
same here man, i'm about to graduate and am very nervous about finding a good tech job.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 03:25 PM

My iPod's (4G) Assembled in China.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 11:39 AM

Apple is an unsusal product from USA. It has quality!!! (But at least Steve supports Kerry!)

Cheers from Europe!
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by runejoha:
Kerry is an unsusal product from USA.(has But at least Steve supports quality!)
fixed...i think

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
fixed...i think
Hehe, I dont understand how you can support Bush, but this is computers and not politics.

:-)
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
Hehe, I dont understand how you can support Bush, but this is computers and not politics.

:-)
agreed, so i'll just end it by saying i don't support bush. even though my last name is bush heh. i don't really suppport either like a little of both but like you said lets stay on topic.

errolbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by memory-minus:
Bzzt! Wrong, unfortunately. I have called AppleCare within the past 2 weeks and been transferring to India.
Every time I have every called Apple (even 2 times this past week) I have spoken to someone in the states (usually Texas). I'm sure they have support folk elsewhere but my personal experience has been quite favorable.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 02:36 AM

in a time when almost all Dell and Gateway tech support is in India.
Dell does not outsource to India for support. They tried it for a time but quickly pulled out because it lowered customer satisifaction. I wish other companies would also get that hint, since even if I did live in a Mac only world, Apple doesn't currently make printers and other devices I use with my Mac.
<This space under renovation>

HighFolioLip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2004, 06:39 AM

Dell brought back only part of its customer service to the states; the rest stayed in India.
So, depending on what type of customer you are, you will either get the Indian or the US call center. I don't remember the criteria, but then again, I don't care!
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles
the world. - Albert Einstein

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 08:34 AM

due to the weight and the bulk, it's probably cheaper to assemble the machine closer to the final market than assemble it in taiwan/china and ship it. i know that Apple are airfreighting every new iMac G5 to the US and it's costing them $50 a pop.

-- james

gurman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by errolbert:
Every time I have every called Apple (even 2 times this past week) I have spoken to someone in the states (usually Texas). I'm sure they have support folk elsewhere but my personal experience has been quite favorable.
I believe Apple's using offshored phone support to reduce wait times when you've been on hold for a whole before speaking to a human being.

Last Xmas (day after, actually), I had to call Apple support and after a few minutes on hold (with rock and roll Xmas muzak), I heard several different ringtones, some different muzak, and then Cedric answered. Cedric spoke clearly and intelligibly, was clearly well educated, but just as clearly in India and had never fielded a question about the Power Mac G5 before; he thought there were more user-removable fans than there are in the single-processor version. He did excuse himself several times to check with a supervisor, who could have been in Austin for all I know. He finally concluded, as I had, that I need to bring the machine to an authorized dealer or Apple Store for service (bad video card).

End of our conversation:

Me: "Cedric, have you ever had your hands inside a G5?"

Cedric: "No."

Me: "Ok, thanks. One more question: what time is it in Mumbai?"

Cedric: "1:30 AM."

I don't think I could have done that well on the graveyard shift, but I do have a problem with offshoring all of any US company's tech support. Apple (and even that spawn of the devil Dell) may be trying to strike the right balance; hope so.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by gurman:

Me: "Ok, thanks. One more question: what time is it in Mumbai?"

Cedric: "1:30 AM."
You guessed this, I take it?

I don't think I could have done that well on the graveyard shift, but I do have a problem with offshoring all of any US company's tech support. Apple (and even that spawn of the devil Dell) may be trying to strike the right balance; hope so.
I don't care where my call is answered, as long as the person is easily understandable, helpful and knowledgeable. It could get re-routed to Santa Claus for all I care - I just want my problem diagnosed, then an appropriate solution decided upon, as soon as possible. That's the definition of good tech support, no matter what country you're in.

-- james

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 01:35 AM

Job outsourcing is a big problem when we outsource to countries that don't participate in fair trade and therefore take our jobs and buy nothing from us in return... the net result is that (multinational) corporations are getting richer and the American family (us) are getting poorer. Now if China and India want so start buying American stuff in the same quantity that we buy their cheap crap... then I'm game.

As for politics...

Frankly... I don't like either one of them sons of bitches.. That communist pinko Kerry with his affirmative action loving, feminist agenda promoting, God hating "democratic" party OR that dumb ass Bush who thinks that God told him to kill all the Arabs ...he understands the middle east like I understand Cosmology. He thinks he can solve our terrorism problem by attacking sovereign countries, and pissing of the entire world.... meanwhile, back home he's doing everything he can to break apart organized labor unions and make his Oil business pals richer...

Both can kiss my voting ass! I'm voting for the constitutional party candidate.

(Damn right I'm politically incorrect... so get over it!)

Where's Mel Gibson when you need him!
Apple user since 1981

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:33 AM

Both can kiss my voting ass! I'm voting for the constitutional party candidate.
steve for president?

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:38 AM

Steve is too much of a lib for me, which works for running a artsie computer company with great design and quality, but not for running a country filled with all walks of life..... Michael Anthony is getting my lousy vote.
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules