Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > need help upgrading memory or get new mac?

need help upgrading memory or get new mac?
gambo
Sep 19, 2007, 02:19 AM

I have an intel imac 1.83ghz with 512mb memory (occupying 1 slot). I got this literally the first week apple released its intel chips.

I just purchased games with the credit from my early purchase iphone ( I paid $550 after tax for the 4gig). Stupidly i ordered the games before looking at the system requirements 1gb ram.

I've known i need to upgrade my memory since aperture originally came out with a requirement of 1gb memory but have been putting it off.

Anyway when looking for a memory upgrade at the apple store i found the 1gb chip for $150
512mb chip for $75

A quick search online i found chips much cheaper but am in over my head.

A couple of ?'s

1) I have a free slot can i only put in a 512mb chip to give me the 1gb or can i add a 1gb chip giving me 1.5gb?

2) How many volts does the chip i need use?

apple says i can use this

You can use small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) of 512 MB or 1 GB that meet all of these criteria:

* PC2-5300
* unbuffered
* nonparity
* 200-pin
* 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
DIMMs with any of the following features are not supported in this iMac:

* registers or buffers
* PLLs
* ECC
* parity
* EDO RAM

3) When looking around i found this- Will this or these be ok? [url=http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=512M-PC2-SO5300&gtse=GOTO&KEYWORD=512MB+PC2%2D5300+%28667Mh z%29+200+pin+DDR2+SODIMM]512MB PC2-5300 200 pin DIMM:
512MB 200pin DDR2 SODIMM 64Mx64 non ECC gold leads unbuffered 1.8 volts PC2-5300 spec 667Mhz with SPD CAS 5 latency max 1.25 inches tall

4) Where can i find what i need @ a cheap and reliable place?
i just did a quick search and found tons of places whose reputable for this product?

5) is it worth it to go bigger 2x1gb?

6) How much time to you think i have with this machine before its obsolete i have a 1.83ghz dual core processor, and 30gigs of storage left. If i have anything open, opening paralles to get onto my company's intranet is like pulling teeth with this. I don't do anything spectacular - mostly internet, music, documents, occasionally i'll play with imovie but nothing serious.

P.S. how long you think till the imacs have intel's quad core - maby released with leopard? Whens that goin to be released?

Forum Links
Forum Rules