Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Intel wants headphone jack on smartphones replaced with USB Type-C

Intel wants headphone jack on smartphones replaced with USB Type-C
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 27, 2016, 10:28 AM

The days of the headphone jack may be numbered, if Intel's intentions over device connectivity gains traction. The processor producer has proposed that the widely-used 3.5mm audio jack should be removed "from audio sources" in favor of a different connectivity technology, with it putting forward at an IDF Shenzen talk the suggestion that the replacement could be a connection type already being used in some devices: USB Type-C.

The proposal, reported by Anandtech, would allow manufacturers to add new features to headsets not currently possible with the 3.5mm connection. Switching over to a different type of connection could theoretically simplify connectivity, especially in the case of home cinema systems and other multi-channel audio devices.

Lastly, for smartphones, it would remove one of the items currently restricting manufacturers from making their mobile devices even thinner than they currently are. Using a single universal connector rather than a separate one just for audio input and output could also help simplify internal hardware designs, speeding up product development.

While Apple could potentially use Lightning for a similar system in a future iOS device, Intel is putting its efforts towards pushing USB Type-C as that universal connector. USB Type-C is already set up in such a way that it could be used to transfer analog audio as part of the connector's specifications, with the use of sideband pins for analog connections potentially leaving data transfers and other features of the connection standard unaffected.

Despite the proposal being outlined by Intel at the IDF meeting, it may still be a considerable amount of time before it gets widely used by manufacturers. Intel is expected to finalize and release a specification related to the technology later in the second quarter.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2016, 10:41 AM

Interesting. A risky adaptation that only Apple can pull off.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2016, 11:06 AM

I wish they'd make future plugs like the MagSafe plug.

Going with USB-C is great and all, but still has the risk of port or connector damage due to flexing and bending, or having pressure put on it in the wrong way.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2016, 12:13 PM

DCQ: we are testing this at the moment, and will write up something more about Magsafe wrt to ultra-light devices like the MacBook, but yes I appreciate the Magsafe connector on my MacBook Pro and my wife's Air.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

just a poster
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2016, 01:46 PM

A little scary for consumers. 1/8" audio jacks are 40 year standards. 1/4" jacks first used in the 60s. That is many, many years of practical utility and productivity.

Today, it is difficult to impossible find a computer with the firewire jack Apple touted as "next generation" just 12 or so years ago. This is a big deal if you spent $5000+ on analog-digital converters and other really expensive hardware that is still of practical use in productive/commercial applications but have no way to connect it to modern equipment because support is dying out.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2016, 02:42 PM

Making these changes, so smartphones can be thinner is pointless. They're already more than thin enough. The really driving impetitus is probably to force people to pay more—possibly even a lot more—for headsets and negate the value of those they already own.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2016, 03:51 PM

This is sort of like changing Imperial System to Metric System in the US which didn't work. Perhaps the practical direction is to perfect bluetooth wireless headset. But I do think that Apple will have a better chance in making it work; whether it's USB-C or Apple's Lightning port.
( Last edited by coffeetime; Apr 27, 2016 at 04:13 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Apr 28, 2016, 02:32 AM

I'd get behind this effort, if it gains wide adoption (and, if USB-C is as durable as 1/8", which I'm quite skeptical of).

The big question for we iPhone folks though... is would Apple do the forward-thinking thing and follow this (like killing off Flash), or would they stick with Lightening for years before ultimately getting on board. I'm guessing the latter, which means years of pain for Apple folks.

And, yea, I'm so sick of this 'thinner' thing being thrown in all of these 1/8" jack discussions. Aside from not needing thinner - which is a good point - Apple already makes thinner devices with 1/8" jacks. If this kind of move is made, it would be revolutionary in terms of audio standards (good or bad?), but it has almost nothing to do with thinner that I can think of. Maybe a USB-C connector takes up a bit less internal volume overall? But thinner, that would be a pretty stupid reason for such a move.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules