Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W G3 Tiger Install problems

B&W G3 Tiger Install problems
mad_nasty_nizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 01:09 PM

My dad has a B&W G3 and he's running 10.3.9, but he wants to upgrade to Tiger. Unfortunately, he didn't have a DVD drive until we bought a Lacie one off of eBay. The DVD shows up in the Finder, but no matter what I try to do to restart from the DVD (using the "Install Tiger" app on the DVD, going into System Preferences and telling it to start from the DVD drive), when the computer restarts, I get the whole "folder-with-finderface-and-question-mark", but only for about a minute at most, and then it reverts back to 10.3.9 on my dad's internal drive, and starts back up peachy. Does anyone know how to install Tiger from an external DVD drive?
2002 12" iBook Dual USB 800MHz/30GB/640MB/Combo/AirPort
2003 3rd Gen iPod 10GB in BAD condition i need one of those spiffy new 20GB color screen ones :(
2004 iMac 1.25GHz/80GB/1GB RAM/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2005, 06:10 PM

I think you will have to buy an internal drive.

On more modern mac's you can press and hold the option key (alt) on start up and select from available drives and then boot up, but it never worked on my old B&W and probably won't work on yours.

You can always exchange the DVD for CD's with Apple. I think it will cost a bit, but i'm not sure how much.

Good Luck,

Sean

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

You can always exchange the DVD for CD's with Apple. I think it will cost a bit, but i'm not sure how much.
IIRC, the DVD-to-CD exhange was either $10 or $20, but for just a bit more, you could buy an older dvd-rom drive off ebay and use it to install Tiger.......

been there, done that

or look at newegg.com & get a NEW dvd burner for ~$50
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

asthma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 09:53 PM

try holding down the c key when starting up this might work but im not sure.

mad_nasty_nizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 11:09 PM

The c key is only to start up from your internal drive. Thanks for your help, guys, my dad's gonna get rid of the drive and probably go for an internal one.
2002 12" iBook Dual USB 800MHz/30GB/640MB/Combo/AirPort
2003 3rd Gen iPod 10GB in BAD condition i need one of those spiffy new 20GB color screen ones :(
2004 iMac 1.25GHz/80GB/1GB RAM/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 11:49 PM

do you have an ipod?

asthma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 12:58 PM

im guessing u have another mac with osx 10.4 on it and im hoping ur dads B&W G3 has firewire if so try going into target mode.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2005, 01:00 PM

B&W's don't support TDM

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2005, 03:42 PM

I installed Tiger on my iMac 333 (unsupported by Apple). I first pulled out the hard disk from the iMac and put it inside my PowerMac G4, then I put it back to the iMac after it's done.

On your sig, I noticed that you have an iMac G4 and iBook. Since the B&W G3 and the iMac G4 use the same ATA hard drives, I wonder is it going to work. If not, you may have to invest on a FireWire enclosure.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 08:30 PM

The c key is only to start up from your internal drive.

NO, the "c" key is to boot from a CD, but this wont work with a DVD disc unless you actually have a DVD drive of some sorts. A B&W, or any other computer for that matter, will boot up normally from any internal drive with a valid, functional OS on it
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules