Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 2)
Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
How is the startup time?
The same / a tad faster

Is there still a delay before restarting or shutting down?
No!

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Here's yet another.

How do you perform an advanced Search? Does command-F in the Finder still bring up Find? Any differences from Jaguar?
same thing as jag from what i can tell....just much faster but this installation is a brand new one..

Originally posted by ls -al:
1. Just wondering if navigation keys work right in the Open/Save sheets specifically,
Does Cmd+1 Cmd+2 Cmd+ 3 switch between the different views. Cmd+Shift+N for new folder etc...

Nope none of that seems to work for me.

2. Can you rename folders (or delete files) in the sheets ala Windows?
Not that i've found...

3. Does the drop down menu in the top still include Favorites/History
whatever is in the bar on the left in the finder now appears in both the simple and advanced save as. adding things to the favorite folder on my computer does nothing.

4. Can you do a Cmd+i on the files/folders to get info?
nope, its weird you can't even select things, they just don't dim at all. i guess they are still working

5. What kind of sorting options are available in the list view?
Labels are there if thats what ur wondering, i would type them out but the window keeps disappearing when i click back to safari.

6. Do labels show up in the Dialogs? What about creation/modification dates?
labels don't show up, date modified is there, but i don't know how/if you can get creation....

sorry about the formatting i'm new to this kind of thing

curmi
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by tRr:
curmi: just tried it and it indeed does work!! I first opened up a blank email.. went to apple.com, picked up part of the g5, pressed F9, then i could move the pic of the G5 over the mail window, but when i released the mouse button nothing would enter the mail document. So next time instead of dropping it on the e-mail i pressed return on my keyboard, the mail message came to the front (with the g5 still dragging along with my mouse) and i could drop it in really sweet.
That feature alone is worth the money! No need for a system wide shelf, or moving around windows to drag and drop. Brilliant! Thanks.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:23 PM

Mmm... Disc copy and Disc utility is baked into one app now

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 10:23 PM

Oh boy... I really wish I had a copy right now!! I guess I'll have to live vicariously thru' kelix and others. A few more questions...

1. What are the finder preferences? (screenies would be helpful..)
2. Does minimizing the Finder toolbar bring up the spatial finder mode?
3. Is there a new text-2-speech engine (in TextEdit)
4. Can you now secure empty trash?
5. Possible to encrypt individual files ala OS 9? What about folders...
6. What Finder actions are included in this install, any new useful ones?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
That feature alone is worth the money! No need for a system wide shelf, or moving around windows to drag and drop. Brilliant! Thanks.
just so nobody yells at me, just for clarity, when i did it from safari it actually just pasted the link, same with explorer, but then if i just drag and drop directly that is what happens to, so i guess thats just safari making it into a link. i also dragged it onto my desktop, creating the image there, and when i did the same whole process but dragged from my desktop it pasted the image.

it works almost to well to describe. i find myself just using F11 to get to the desktop just for the hell of it, it does it so ultra fast, and different windows take different paths

3. Is there a new text-2-speech engine (in TextEdit)
seems to be the same old one...

4. Can you now secure empty trash?
under the finder menu is a secure empty trash option with 3 choices - 1 Pass Secure Empty, 7 Pass Secure Empty, and 35 Pass Secure Empty.

5. Possible to encrypt individual files ala OS 9? What about folders...
i actually looked for that and nothing that i have seen so far...

just tried the secure empty trash with 35 passes, and it makes a whole bunch of hard drive noise takes a long time, sorry don't remember what was even in there.... but its just a regular old empty trash window... put the system is totally responsive when doing it

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 10:32 PM

Thanks to those with Panther builds giving us all this new info. Now for my question, one that's bugged me since the introduction of OS X. Can you sort by "date modified" in the open/save dialogs?
Who'sDaMac?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Thanks to those with Panther builds giving us all this new info. Now for my question, one that's bugged me since the introduction of OS X. Can you sort by "date modified" in the open/save dialogs?
yep, you can

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 24, 2003, 10:34 PM

...and 35 Pass Secure Empty.
Good Lord.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 10:35 PM

I for one am highly impressed.
- It's much faster on my iBook 600 than Jaguar was, and all the graphic transitions are much smoother.
- Expose' is a god send
- There is a slick new command - tab feature, kinda like in XP where alt - tab gives you a full list of all open apps and allows you to tab to the one you want, but in Panther a nice window pops up, just like the volume control window. It works very well.
- Fast user switching...IT'S ABOUT TIME! It works very very well.
- System prefs have been changed a bit, took me a few minutes to get use to.
- The Finder rocks! Blows the old one out of the water, they're not even close to the same app.
- All search fields that I've ran into thus far are instant searches, meaning as you type all contents are filtered live.
All in all, I love it.
Thanx Apple!
jesse ;-)

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 24, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
This is finally *the* window management I've been looking for...I also agree that that feature is worth the money.

I was getting sick of tabs and people saying tabs was the only solution to this window management problem.

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast

One more... in the finder, do you have to precisely click on the icon to open, or can you click in the holes in the icons? For instance can you click on the holes in the "e" of the Explorer icon? How is the masking handled now...

There's another interesting thread going on at:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=26772

looks like the Finder is still Carbon, it's now rewritten in Cocoa as speculated...

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast

Screenshots:

homepage.mac.com/jshier/Command_Tab.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Expose.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Finder1.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Finder2.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Switch.jpg

Thanx to Jon for the mirror
( Last edited by jessejlt; Jun 25, 2003 at 12:17 AM. )

zachs
Mac Elite

Any new toolbar items for the Finder toolbar? (Besides the Action button?)

Also, can you sort in Column view?

Sorry if I missed these questions earlier.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 10:38 PM

yep, you can
Thanks. I know it's simple but that feature is something I sorely missed from OS 9. I sent Apple a bunch of feedback regarding that, I guess they must've listened.
Who'sDaMac?

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
- Dolby digital support in DVD player (which by the way is brushed metal and has that outline around it).
Oh thank the maker. Finally we'll start to see some more Macs used for home theater. *eBay -> search -> "cube g4"*

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by ls -al:
One more... in the finder, do you have to precisely click on the icon to open, or can you click in the holes in the icons? For instance can you click on the holes in the "e" of the Explorer icon? How is the masking handled now...

There's another interesting thread going on at:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=26772

looks like the Finder is still Carbon, it's now rewritten in Cocoa as speculated...
i can still fall through the holes in IE, but once you have selected it a dark square appears around the icon as the background and you can double click anywhere in that square.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:54 PM

It's up to the icon itself for its selectable area. IE has a crappy icon, that's all.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:59 PM

I tried to install that Ports Manager software and it seems to start d/l from the net and then says "Installation Failed: Unable to configure DarwinPorts distribution"

The actual app sorta looks like Fink Commander and if you try and customize the tool bar there is options for Build, Checksum, Clean, Fetch, Install and Package.

The version of X11 installed is 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0 and there is an option in the prefs for a Full Screen mode where X11 take over the full screen (rootless?)... Command-Option-A can take you from full screen and back... i don't think that was there in Jaguar..

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:02 PM

So how is that Disc Utility/Copy app? Is making sessioned CDs easier? Any more advanced burning options? I've always found Disk Copy to be a bit obtuse.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 11:05 PM

I tried to install that Ports Manager software and it seems to start d/l from the net and then says "Installation Failed: Unable to configure DarwinPorts distribution"

The actual app sorta looks like Fink Commander and if you try and customize the tool bar there is options for Build, Checksum, Clean, Fetch, Install and Package.
That would be great if Apple was working with Metapkg on that one.

Thanks for the info peeps. Mac OS X just keeps getting better and better and better...

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:11 PM

can you turn the brushed metal off in finder and basically make it exactly like the jag one? someone in another thread said you could but that was before WWDC, they also said the version now was much more refined which it wasnt (still stupid misplaced "back" label) so im asking again

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 11:18 PM

Inside Mail i was just getting the threads going. Took me a couple of minutes to find how to enable them,(View- Organize By Threads)... I didn't import any e-mail, so i can't really comment on how well it works, but it grouped all my messages to myself together nice effect of the mail sliding down when showing the full thread....

Clicking on eject disc in the finder didn't work for me... so i know have a disc stuck in my drive...

This is the link it gives when it tries to install the DarwinPorts software http://opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/

I haven't really played much with Disk Utility, but Disk Copy seems to be gone (the finder mounts disk images automatically). There are options to create Disks in Disk Utility but i haven't found out how to burn them... it treats disk images now like they are hard drives listing them right below all of the drives..

There is also a Restore section in Disk Copy.

I havn't found a way to turn of brushed metal, in my copy Back is spelled correctly in the finder toolbar.

I'm going to be leaving fairly soon so I hope everyone could understand what I have been saying and sorry for no pics ...

Panther is turning out to be another kick-ass OS from Apple

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:29 PM

...Its amazing, probably better then OS 9...
Thank you Apple.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:41 PM

My lucky bastard friend got his own copy from WWDC. However he's to chicken to install it. Help me convince him.

I KNOW he should install it on another drive. How does it work with 10.2? Clean install I assume? Hopefully it won't delete other Apps? Should I have him install it on another drive?

Give me advice to tell him, because I want him to install it so I can steal his computer :-)

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
My lucky bastard friend got his own copy from WWDC. However he's to chicken to install it. Help me convince him.

I KNOW he should install it on another drive. How does it work with 10.2? Clean install I assume? Hopefully it won't delete other Apps? Should I have him install it on another drive?

Give me advice to tell him, because I want him to install it so I can steal his computer :-)
Tell him that's OK, he doesn't have to install it...

You'll install it on your computer then.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Tell him that's OK, he doesn't have to install it...

You'll install it on your computer then.
I wish, I guess he needs to install fresh and re-import everything into the new os like mail and all his settings?

Thus the fun with betas...

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 11:56 PM

I can't believe no one has asked this but.... gasp.... Spring loaded folders/drives in dock? (holds breath and crosses fingers)
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Tom C
Jun 24, 2003, 11:58 PM

Five nitpicky questions and one big question...

1. In Mail, can you delete attachments without deleting the entire message?

2. In System Preferences/Date & Time, when you update from a network time server, does it record the time when you last updated?

3. Does the "location" setting still control just the network, or does it affect default printer, time zone, etc. like OS 9?

4. In the early betas of Jaguar, if you had a document in the Dock, you could right-click and "Close" would be an option. They took this out in the release version. Is it back in by any chance?

5. Is there any way to create groups from System Preferences/Accounts, or do you still have to go to the command line?

6. Has anyone succeeded in installing on a non-Quartz Extreme iBook (e.g. one of the original 500 MHz, 2 USB models).

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 12:00 AM

The most important question of all:

Can we finally share addresses between users in Address Book?

kman

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 12:03 AM

What's new in Sherlock 3? Any new channels?

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 12:17 AM

just a few observations:

install took forever, specially disk 2 (all options checked)
scrolling in Safari is quite f*cked up, seems like they are trying to implement some kind of smooth scrolling but in this version it's just bad
Finder is not as bad as it looks, I specially like the instant iTunes like search.
SystemPrefs cleaned up a lot, added some nice features (Network status in the Network panel, scheduled power-up is back in the Energy panel)
don't like the Labels implematation at all, don't know yet why.

That's all I can think of for now,

cheers.

tobster
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 12:20 AM

In user accounts there is a feature that hasn't been implemented yet... it deals with what priviliges users have.... limited or not. No options yet since it hasn't been implemented.

Accounts pane is very different (as well as other sys prefs).

Apple Remote Desktop connection now seems to be included with the system. Nice touch.

And yes, again, speed is the most noticable thing for me.

- tobs

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
Screenshots:

homepage.mac.com/jshier/Command_Tab.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Expose.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Finder1.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Finder2.jpg
homepage.mac.com/jshier/Switch.jpg

Thanx to Jon for the mirror
i can setup another mirror and ftp account for you jesse if you wish. let me know.

bg

Henry Casey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 12:24 AM

how do you think it will run on this setup?

700 G3 iBook
640 MB ram
16 MB ATI Rage card

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 12:29 AM

Also, how do "Menu Bar" apps work in Panther? I know that Jag disabled some API stuff to not allow menu'lings to work properly (until Unsanity gave us a nice work-a-round)....has that been fixed or do you still need Application Enhancer to allow menu bar driven apps to function properly?

Thanks.

bracken
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
The install also deleates IE!!!
Yes you heard right... it deleates IE lol
Its nowhere to be seen.. safari is still v85

UPDATE:
It also deleates acrobat 5 as now preview does all lol
I still have IE in Applications, the installer did not delete it. I also chose to leave my user folder alone. Acrobat 6 Pro is also still in Applications. (I deleted Acrobat Reader 5 long ago.)

Did you do a clean install? Then perhaps Apple isn't bundling IE and Acrobat Reader with Panther.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 12:50 AM

What's on the 2nd CD?
Same as Jaguar (localized stuff, drivers, etc.)?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 01:00 AM

What's on the 2nd CD?
Same as Jaguar (localized stuff, drivers, etc.)?
Yeps.

Panther fresh comes with IE but not Acrobat. I installed it fresh onto a 2nd drive in my G4. All iApps came too except iDVD.

Another thing i have noticed is that the get info box remembers the last thing you had open for all items.

In the faxing setup there is an option to let others fax from this computer.. i assume this would be a lot like printer sharing...

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:02 AM

Yeps.

Panther fresh comes with IE but not Acrobat. I installed it fresh onto a 2nd drive in my G4. All iApps came too except iDVD.

Another thing i have noticed is that the get info box remembers the last thing you had open for all items.

In the faxing setup there is an option to let others fax from this computer.. i assume this would be a lot like printer sharing...
Cool.
I'm gonna install in on my external 120GB LaCie.

So, is there any other changes to the Get Info box? Can you still hit Command-I to bring it up? (I remember in Jaguar betas you used Command-P )

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 01:02 AM

Did a straight upgrade... checked everything that waouldnt edit my current setup... very weird.

The secure delete will be fantastic!

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 01:04 AM

Yes.. get info can be achieved by command-I

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:08 AM

Hmmm...

Any new apps in the Applications/Utilties folder?

Is there still a Print Center app, or do you just use the prefpane?

Any new Finder toolbar items?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
Yes.. get info can be achieved by command-I
or the old inspector with option-apple-i

i've noticed the usual prerelease type errors (i've lost the ability to apple-tab in one of my login accounts) but its been very stable after the first two KP's i had ...

Can't wait to show this to my PC using friends

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:13 AM

I doubt it, but...is there a new boot icon?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2003, 01:15 AM

Hmmm...

Any new apps in the Applications/Utilties folder?

Is there still a Print Center app, or do you just use the prefpane?

Any new Finder toolbar items?
Pref pane is basically just a pref for the printer u want to use and the paper size.... i was talking about print center earlier on in this thread and its sorta like in jag, but when u double click on the main printer list to see your printer queue it opens up a new app, with in my case a picture of my printer (and of course its cue). During my testing i've had it printing with that in the dock and without it in the dock.

Seems a tad faster, and a new option for scheduling prints.

I love the way the sheets now come in with alot of velocity and u don't just sorta watch them drift in

murk
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:16 AM

FunMac Forums says Classic does not work. Is this true for you?http://funmac.com/showthread.php?thr...5&pagenumber=3

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:16 AM

So how does the "Print" command from the Finder contextual menu work?

Also, have you tried scheduled restarts/shutdowns?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by murk:
FunMac Forums says Classic does not work. Is this true for you?http://funmac.com/showthread.php?thr...5&pagenumber=3
Probably a reason for that....OS 9 died a few years ago....

Forum Links
Forum Rules