Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar has gone GM?

Jaguar has gone GM? (Page 2)
someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b
6c115 is not golden master. FTP is still mostly broken. I don't think Apple would overlook such a glaringly obvious bug.
Works for me in my limited use.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2002, 01:04 AM

From MacMinute.com:

Jaguar goes Gold
August 1 - 19:55 ET Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar has reached Golden Master (GM) status, developer sources inform MacMinute. GM was reached with build 6C115, whose code is now frozen and will be used for duplication. Mac OS X 10.2 spans three discs and will be available August 24. Update: There is some confusion as to whether 6C115 is in fact the GM or simply a GM candidate. We are currently looking this.
Same from thinksecret.com

Apparently, nobody knows anything.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 01:23 AM

Yes, some people do know; you're just not listening.

6C115 was the GM candidate. It is also GM. Why is it so hard for people to understand that a GM candidate *might actually go* GM?

No one understood it with 4K78 either.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 3, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by piracy

6C115 was the GM candidate. It is also GM. Why is it so hard for people to understand that a GM candidate *might actually go* GM?

heh -- yeah, people who do know what is going on generally can't say anything about it, and even if someone does post the truth, people don't believe 'em anyway. 'tis pointless.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2002, 02:57 AM

* Barring any huge showstopper problems that may be discovered, which is unlikely.

can somebody please try it on a G3 b&w with a Radeon 7000 as the primary videocard?

bye.

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2002, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b
sorry about double post. I will install the new build tonight and let everybody know if it's final. Also despite what the documentation says if you have build 6c106 and higher you can upgrade to the final version. Notice apple took out that big FAT warning in the installer. Trust me i've talked with "people" cough and you can upgrade from it. I don't know about 10.1 can you upgrade to 10.2 on the final? did apple every plan this feature? if they did they must have thrown it in right in the end because even the latest beta wouldnt' let you.

I will let you all know about GM tonight.
I'm not a developer, nor do I have any pre-release copies of Jag, but I'm curious about the process. If you have one of these last couple builds can you run it like the retail version then upgrade using Software Update to something like 10.2.1 when the time comes? Do all these people talking about what's GM have a stake in it? Will they have to buy the final version like the rest of us?

Anybody know?

Thanks.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 03:16 AM

Well "Maury" has some bad info. Sorry.
Just out of curiosity...how do you know one way or another?

I could actually give a crap what version is GM...I'll just wait for it to show up in the mail.

But the way you talk, you'd think Steve called you up and said:

"Piracy, 6C115 is GM. Spread the word."
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

greener
Aug 3, 2002, 08:43 AM

This reminds me so much of the 10.1 fiasco it's not even funny.

50th Post.
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2002, 09:29 AM

But HOW DO YOU KNOW it's GM? Who said that? Do you have a secret crystal ball?

I'm not saying that 6C115 ISN'T GM, I'm saying that too many people are jumping the gun calling it GM just because it has "GM" in the .PDF notes.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2002, 06:45 PM

The Seed Notes for 6C115 state explicitly that it is a GM CANDIDATE! This does not mean it's "set in stone." 6C115 is a Final Candidate but there is nothing stopping Apple from seeding another final candidate and making it the GM.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa
The Seed Notes for 6C115 state explicitly that it is a GM CANDIDATE! This does not mean it's "set in stone." 6C115 is a Final Candidate but there is nothing stopping Apple from seeding another final candidate and making it the GM.
Unless they declared 6C115 GM
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa
Yes. 6C115 was a GM candidate. And it was declared GM.* Imagine that - a GM candidate actually becoming GM!

It's kind of like a presidential candidate actually becoming president! It boggles the mind!

You people act as if something is a final candidate or GM candidate there always has to be "just one more build". Like the mystical, magical 4K83. Well, I have news for you: at some point, sooner or later, a candidate becomes the real thing. With 10.0, it was 4K78. With 10.1, which had several GM candidates, it was 5G64. With 10.2, it's 6C115. Is that so hard to grasp?

* As I said with 4K78, the same goes for 6C115: if a major showstopper is found before ship, there could always be more builds. This is true of ANY product. Note: a Radeon 7000 not working in someone's B&W G3, or Finder FTP not being up to someone's liking are not showstoppers. If the SMB client in 10.0/10.1 was used as a metric, those products should have never shipped! 6C115 is not bug free. Nor is any product release. But it is a good, solid build, and will be a great start for 10.2. Updates will follow quickly.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 3, 2002 at 07:02 PM. )

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2002, 09:09 AM

Hmm, some people think that the real GM is build 6C118. Anybody seen this one?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 09:25 AM

Here's the latest from Thinksecret.com:
Update 5:00 PM EST: Several readers have asked about the seed note accompanying the 6C115 build, which refers to it as the "GM candidate" rather than the final gold master. Indeed, as we noted in our earlier reporting, 6C115 was initially marked as Final Candidate 1. However, today sources confirmed once again to Think Secret that build 6C115 was in fact declared to be GM on Wednesday or Thursday. As for rumors of a 6C116 build? Apple often develops builds after the FC, but 6C115 is the one.
Here's the latest from Railhead Design, which formerly claimed that 6C115 was not final:
6C115 Is The Golden Master

Since returning from our little 36 hour vacation, I have had several confirmations that OS X build 6C115 has in fact, been declared the Golden Master. On the same token, however, build development has continued (of course) as there are a couple of choice fixes that will need to be resolved after 10.2 is released as build 6C115. These fixes will eventually take the form of the minor updates we�ve all come to know and love.

As for what will be fixed the post-6C115 builds, there are still minor issues with FTP connections as well as with the built-in Windows browsing. But don�t worry: these issues only rear their ugly heads under very specific network circumstances, so the vast majority of OS X users will never have to deal with them prior to Apple releasing updates in September.

Sorry for the confusion � but at the time of Friday�s post (7:38am), the screen shot was speaking for itself. =)
Here's the quote from MacNN:
Mac OS 10.2 "Jaguar" quietly goes 'GM'

Apple this afternoon declared Mac OS X 10.2 'GM" at (internal) release 6C115, according to MacNN sources. The internal "Golden Master" designation completes months of testing and development, including the delivery of multiple builds per day over the past few weeks to resolve outstanding bugs. The OS is to be delivered to manufacturing for CD replication in the next few days and Apple is expected to officially ship Mac OS 10.2 to retail outlets on August 24th. (Apple also may ship Apple Store customers the release for delivery earlier that week, as it has done in the past).
One or more of these sources claims to have received confirmation from Apple.
( Last edited by Ken_F2; Aug 4, 2002 at 09:31 AM. )

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
Note: a Radeon 7000 not working in someone's B&W G3... are not showstoppers.

that was just a question based on 10.1.5 expieriences, not implying it wouldn't work.

bye.

Forum Links
Forum Rules