Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > logic 5.3 for os x!!

logic 5.3 for os x!!
dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2002, 05:40 PM

... it�s out..... finally!!!! *wipes off tears of joy*

go grab it now folks, unfortunately i can�t test it until tomorrow because i have left my xskey in the office.... argh!!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2002, 06:40 PM

I hate to be totally dense but what is logic 5.3?

Mike

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2002, 07:21 PM

Multi-channel audio editing and recording, and midi software package.

This is big news.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

dr. zoidberg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2002, 08:36 PM

ugh. i just had to learn that there is no coreaudio-driver for the audiowerk-cards yet.

well, at least i can try around with the headphones... i�m sooo excited baby..!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

atomised
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 08:36 PM

i'm not sure this counts as a double post but i asked this question in 'general osx' before realising it should have been asked in 'osx software' so i apologise on asking it twice but i really want to know!

ok a question, will emagic release updates for silver etc.. (or does this update cover them...) ie does the logic update cover them all?

the reason i'm asking is i was wanting to purchase 'logic big box' but i certainly do not want to be caught in 9 limbo.

or is there something better to wait for on the horizon...?

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by atomised:
ok a question, will emagic release updates for silver etc.. (or does this update cover them...) ie does the logic update cover them all?

this update is just for Platinum users, Gold and Silver will be coming some time later.
Logic 5 Platinum (for MacOS 9) came in March, Gold and Silver in June or July (can't really remember), so count on a fairly long wait.

bye.

chezpaul
Senior User
Sep 2, 2002, 06:49 PM

haha,.... now I got to wait for all my VST plug ins to be upgraded by third party companies... Another wait time.

But thumbs up to Emagic...

By the way, that's the company that was bought by apple.
The Audio and MIDI is now intergrated into Mac OS 10.2 (by use of the Audio Midi Setup) which is really cool. They're trying to make it so that everyone uses the same standards from the start.

But I still have my same problem.. This damn program needs lots of MHz to run properly. And it doesn't like G3's. Even thought they won't acknowledge it.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
haha,.... now I got to wait for all my VST plug ins to be upgraded by third party companies... Another wait time.

But thumbs up to Emagic...

By the way, that's the company that was bought by apple.
The Audio and MIDI is now intergrated into Mac OS 10.2 (by use of the Audio Midi Setup) which is really cool. They're trying to make it so that everyone uses the same standards from the start.

But I still have my same problem.. This damn program needs lots of MHz to run properly. And it doesn't like G3's. Even thought they won't acknowledge it.
There no longer is support for vst plugins in this version of Logic. I suggest you read the press release again more carefully.

Basically Logic will only support the built in Mac OS X plugin format "Audio Units" You need to hope or convince your favorite VST plug developers to port their plugs to the new "Audio Units" format. I believe this will be the same for Instrument.

Good luck

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 03:31 AM

According to Apple porting VST to Audio Units isn't a great deal. Basically Audio Units is a superset of VST. Besides that OSX has a designated folder for VST plugins, so maybe they're supported directly by the system anyway.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 04:38 AM

Can people post what they think of it? How does it perform in OS X? And can you post your system specs too?

I personally am a poor student and use free pro-tools and a griffin iMic on my iBook 500. I like logic much better but I can't afford it. However my current setup isn't that great. I'm hoping Apple comes out with a really affordable solution (read: FREE). Protools has a free version, I really think Logic should too,

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 05:30 AM

If Apple does what I hope they will than you will be in luck

if they bought ableton Live or liscenced the technology from them they could release: iDJ - Steinberg just announced REMIX for $50 that is based on Live's technology....grrrr this could have been a free iApp and Apple could have added rendeview and internet streaming so you could broadcast your djing/remixing- it would also be a great introduction to audio editing and maybe help advertise LIVE

Logic will hopefully lead to - iMix for editing similar to protools free...and it wouldn't suprise me if Apple/Emagic release an Logic Controller 2 for much cheaper than the current one available...(plus Emagic and Mackie are having a bit of a splif)

Finally if audio units isn't universally supported Apple should Waves and force the issue...

Having audio units supported by all the major host apps and developers is the first test of the Emagic/Apple relationship...

This could be great for the OS X platform...

I think they will pull it off and am totally stoked about it...

But it in the mean time everyone DEMAND Support for AUDIO Units in all your aplicable programs...

I think Native instruments are already on board which is very important...I have faith in MOTU...Steinberg and Digi are the big question marks...

But if Waves/bombfactory/Native instruments did not make there plug-ins available in anyother format but Audio Units... Digi and Steinberg would be forced to comply and we would have a standard....

booboo
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by simifilm:
According to Apple porting VST to Audio Units isn't a great deal. Basically Audio Units is a superset of VST. Besides that OSX has a designated folder for VST plugins, so maybe they're supported directly by the system anyway.
well if Apple says so it must be true...

Trivial like porting to 'Carbon' then?

18 months for Logic X... 18 months and still no Quark...

I suspect some clever soul will come up with a wrapper that will allow use of VST plug-ins.

But what I don't understand is what the System 'VST Plugins' folder is all about. Or was this aborted, and thus removed from Jag? (Haven't looked...)

What's that all about then?

(Oh the shame of posting to someone else's Logic thread when my own one has been neglected, cast aside, ignored... and it was first...;-))

booboo
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 06:25 AM

But if Waves/bombfactory/Native instruments did not make there plug-ins available in anyother format but Audio Units... Digi and Steinberg would be forced to comply and we would have a standard.... [/B]
I thought VST was a standard... an open one, even...

chezpaul
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Targon:

There no longer is support for vst plugins in this version of Logic. I suggest you read the press release again more carefully.

Basically Logic will only support the built in Mac OS X plugin format "Audio Units" You need to hope or convince your favorite VST plug developers to port their plugs to the new "Audio Units" format. I believe this will be the same for Instrument.

Good luck

Targon, Thanks for passing me as an idiot. I can read and know that VST plugins are not compatible with OS X. That's why I'm saying that it sucks and that I'll have to wait for all my third party plugins developers to react to the fact. Which I know will take a while.

chezpaul
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 11:44 AM

I like the name iMix, but I doubt that it would ever be free.
This would be a commercial program.

I also heard from good source that Emagic will stay Emagic and you won't have any "Final cut pro" kinda stuff going on with Apple. So no iMix.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 12:52 PM

well there is still hope for iDJ then

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 09:09 AM

FYI, Waves has already said that they're working on porting to Audio Units.

"I thought VST was a standard... an open one, even..."

It was. But it didn't have the blessing of the OS company as being THE standard, plus it didn't do everything that some companies needed. Companies can still make VST or any other format of plugins on X, it will just make the most sense to support Audio Units.

Forum Links
Forum Rules