Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about pointing documents, videos, folders to server folder

Question about pointing documents, videos, folders to server folder
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2006, 11:34 AM

I am a recent 'switcher' from Windows XP to Mac. I have a home network and in Windows XP there is a My Documents Folder which points to My Documents on that specific computer which also contains a My Videos, My Pictures, and My Music Folder. Well I store all these files in a data folder on a main (server) computer, then the respective folders under Data, My Documents, My Pictures, etc. The reason I do this is I have the one main server but also a 2nd desktop and a laptop and I want to be able to share all these files at home among the computers.
Well I use a program called TweakXP that I can tell the computers where to look for these files so that automatically when I select My Documents it looks at that folder on the server. Is there a way of doing this on Mac? I see that under OS X in the Finder there is a Documents, Videos, Music, and Pictures folder. Of course these seem to look at that specific folder but is it possible under OS X or even with a 3rd party program to have these folders point to the specific folders on this computer? If not I know I can still select the drive on the server in Finder and use it that way but it would be more convenient if there is a way to do this.
As well, is there a way to make programs such as ITunes look specifically at the music folder on the main computer, Iphoto look at the My Pictures folder, etc. I noticed that even if I browse to music on the main computer and then play it in iTunes by clicking on it iTunes still will not find it when I open the program. it appears that I have to actually import the music and by doing this it copies the music to the music folder on the iMac. I assume the same is true with iPhoto so does this mean that it's necessary to copy all these files to my imac and not store them on the server if I want to use them this way? Thanks in advance for any help.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 11:21 PM

You can create an alias or a symbolic link to point these "references" for documents, etc. to a folder on the server. I suggest you investigate aliases and symbolic links. The latter are more transparent... but require you to set them up via the command line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules