Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Online or Apple Store?

Online or Apple Store?
Rumor
May 30, 2007, 03:08 PM

I should have the money together within the next week to purchase a MBP. My question is whether I should buy one online from Apple or from the Apple Store a couple hours away (need to go clothes shopping anyways).

What are the pros and cons of each, if any?

I am fully aware that a new revision may be coming out a WWDC. If that is the case, I will trade mine in for the new revision. If that is not the case, no loss for me since I cannot wait until the end of summer.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2007, 03:16 PM

Well with the online store you can custom order it with your choice of either glossy or matte screen. Either way you'll probably have to pay tax and online you can get the snail slow FedEx Ground Shipping.

In the store you get to walk home with it... If you already know what you want, then any sales help from the sales folks is irrelevant. The other advantage to the store is that the whole place is an Apple petting zoo... so you can make any last minute decisions on 15 vs 17, or vs the regular MacBook there in person.

Apple's policy on price adjustments if a new product comes out is 14 calendar days... so you're pretty much safely within that window now. Keep in mind that after you break that box seal, it'll cost ya ~10% to exchange it if something better comes out at WWDC.

Good luck -- either way, I think you'll have a good buying experience.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 30, 2007, 03:22 PM

If your looking at a stock configuration then it matters little. If you want a BTO, then your only avenue is to go online. Its really six of one half dozen of the other. With the apple store, you get instant gratification, with the online apple store you have a little more flexability in choosing the options you may want.
Michael

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 03:24 PM

Check out Amazon too - they often offer pretty good prices with rebates.

Rumor  (op)
May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Check out Amazon too - they often offer pretty good prices with rebates.
Didn't think of that, but it is more expensive through Amazon even with the rebate vs my student discount.

Rumor  (op)
May 30, 2007, 03:46 PM

Would I be able to get this configuration at the Apple Store?

Nix the Mighty Mouse and case.

ibkc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
Well with the online store you can custom order it with your choice of either glossy or matte screen.
You have your choice of screens at the Apple Store, too. I bought my MBP at a store and was able to compare screens on the sales floor, choose what I wanted and walk out with my computer a few minutes later.

ETA: Rumor, at the store I was able to buy a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and a sleeve for my new MBP. The store I went to was well-stocked with accessories.
( Last edited by ibkc; May 30, 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling)

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 30, 2007, 04:14 PM

For me the nearest Apple store isn't that close so unless I have the time I would rather not drive that far if I don't have to. In store is great if you have some nagging issues about which one to buy because you can test it or see it before buying. Although if you have a few friends with Apples you can test out what you like by using their computers so going into a store isn't always necessary to try things out.

If you know exactly what you want then you can save yourself the trip and buy it online. I really like the customizing you can do online because I usually never buy the stock version. There probably isn't much of a price difference between the two from Apple, but usually for other online shopping prices are cheaper. If you are going to go shopping anyway, you might as well drop by the Apple store. See if there is a price or specification difference and then make your buying decision based on that. You can always buy it online later if needed.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 30, 2007, 10:10 PM

I buy several macs per year online from Apple, Amazon, and/or Smalldog.com. Just compare availability and price including tax and edu or developer discounts. Amazon's upgraded shipping deal is pretty cool; I just ordered a 17"x22" SP3800 wide format photo printer, only +$4 for overnight delivery.

-Allen Wicks

amazing
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:57 AM

Are you taking into account the sales tax that you'll save at Amazon?

dmcnickle
Senior User
May 31, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Are you taking into account the sales tax that you'll save at Amazon?
You still have to pay sales tax with purchases at Amazon.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 08:03 PM

I've never had to pay sales tax with amazon?

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jun 8, 2007, 08:18 PM

Amazon doesn't charge tax cause they are located in a state without sales tax, like NV.

Revisions will be taken into considerations at the online store. They will simply bump you to the new model

Rumor  (op)
Jun 8, 2007, 08:29 PM

I'm picking one up next Wednesday (hopefully) at an Apple store since I will be passing by one.

I've decided to go with the 15" since my funds will be limited to about $3400 and I need to get a mouse, case, etc.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 09:47 PM

Well, if you're picking one up at an Apple Store, be sure and open it right then and there, to do a preliminary quality check, especially if you don't live close. Doesn't hurt, and you get to play with almost immediately.

As for a mouse, get a bluetooth multi-button, something that has an ergonomic profile (ie not Apple). I like my Logitec v270 because it has an on/off switch and came with a zippered travel case. NIMH batteries last forever.

Rumor  (op)
Jun 9, 2007, 05:08 AM

I will be looking it over before I leave the store with it, since the store is about two hours away.

Also, I'll check out how the bluetooth mice interact and how they feel before I buy one. I'll take a look at the v270 if they have one. Thanks.

Super Mario
Jun 9, 2007, 05:21 AM

I buy from the store in. I set my machine up instore so I can see everything is working. I don't want to have a problem and send a machine back or wait to get a problem free computer. I have done this twice. The second time I did it the PowerBook's keyboard was faulty so I got my replacement straight away.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:21 PM. )

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Biest View Post
Amazon doesn't charge tax cause they are located in a state without sales tax, like NV.

Revisions will be taken into considerations at the online store. They will simply bump you to the new model
An online reseller only has to charge sales tax to a customer if they have a brick-and-mortar retail presence in the particular state where the item is being shipped to. B&H, for example, only charges sales tax if the customer is receiving the package in New York.

Note that the law only relieves the reseller from charging the sales tax. It doesn't relieve the buyer from having to pay it. The majority of states have a use tax (look at Sales and Use tax). The buyer in those states is still supposed to pay the tax. Some states require that you file that as part of your state tax income return, some require that you obtain a form and submit it along with the tax within a week or so of the purchase.

Now...there is no practical way of tracking that, and even though most states have that on the books, it is simply not enforced in the majority of those states for consumers. Different story for businesses. That tends to be watched closely by those states. Bottom line, you won't be charged sales tax if you order from a strictly online reseller unless you happen to live in the state where they're located, and unless you live in, say, New Jersey or Florida, I wouldn't worry about it.

shiff
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2007, 09:49 AM

i really wish Apple would allow people with ADC memberships to purchase the hardware at a retail store with the discount.

I can freaking see the mall the Apple store is located in from my window as I type this, but cannot just walk in and buy the discounted machine...

There really is no reason they cannot do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules