Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any hope to repair dead video bd on PB 15" 1.25?

Any hope to repair dead video bd on PB 15" 1.25?
zoink!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2006, 07:23 PM

Is it possible to repair or replace just the video board on my logic board? Wouldn't this be cheaper that replacing the whole mother board? I have a PB 15" 1.25 gHz with lots of both horiz and vert lines, so much so that I can't see anything on screen. And it happens when I plug in an external monitor.

Any ideas, y'all?

ibook_steve
Oct 22, 2006, 12:44 PM

Considering there is only one board (no separate video board) where the GPU is soldered down, you don't have much of a choice other than replacing the main logic board.

Steve

zoink!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 02:56 PM

Definitely not what I wanted to hear! But oh well... Know of anyone or anywhere from which I might get a logic board for this puppy?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 04:07 PM

The only way you can "repair" a baord in any computer without detailed info on the components, is if it has cracked solder joints that you can identify by sight. Then you can resolder them to repair them.

Damaged components can be replaced if you can spot them (burned, cracked, etc.) and replace them (assuming you know what they are).

So essentially, the answer is no.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by zoink! View Post
Definitely not what I wanted to hear! But oh well... Know of anyone or anywhere from which I might get a logic board for this puppy?
eBay's not a bad place. Just today I see a 15" PowerBook 1.67GHz logic board for $250. That's extremely cheap considering Apple will charge you upwards $1000 to fix it.

Make sure it's the right one, though. Apparently the Hi-Res 15" mobo won't work on the older generation 15" PowerBooks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

zoink!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I use eBay often. I got outbid on two MB's already. I was wondering if while I am at it if I could upgrade to a 1.67 MB? I wasn't able to find out from anyone if this would fit in my 1.25. Does anyone here know?

BTW, the MB looks real clean, so I can't see any fried components or obvious cracks (didn't use a magnifying glass, tho).

Thanks!
( Last edited by zoink!; Oct 22, 2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarified MB condition)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2006, 08:12 PM

I think a 1.67GHz MB would work, but it can't be the high-res version.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

zoink!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 08:32 AM

How do I find out FOR SURE?

There's a 1.67 board on eBay at a reasonable price, but the auction ends today. And the seller doesn't know for sure either.

HELP!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 10:34 PM

Did you get your 1.25 GHz PB pretty soon after they became available (before the Rev. b model)? Is your screen's resolution 1280x854? If you answered yes, then you have the low-res 1.25 GHz (was it the high-end PB when you bought it?).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

zoink!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 04:10 AM

I bought it slightly used on eBay, so I am not sure if it is rev A or B. I wasn't aware that the 1.25 had different models. I knew the 1.67 did. Anyway, I checked with ifixit.com and they said I was stuck with the 1.25 board only (or the 1 GHz) but that I couldn't use a faster processor :-( Unless of course, anyone knows how to modify my PB slightly to accept a 1.67 board?

Forum Links
Forum Rules