Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMware Bridged mode not behaving like it should

VMware Bridged mode not behaving like it should
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2008, 09:54 AM

The only machine I can get to connect to my FreeBSD guest is my iMac (the machine hosting it) but any other machine on the network can't connect to the VM. It should be bridged but it behaves like its in NAT mode. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm making a stupid mistake but it this doesn't make any sense.

iMac connecting fine:

Ubuntu failing:

VM Settings:

Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2008, 02:56 PM

Are all your computers on the 192.168.1.x subnet? What is the IP address of your Mac?

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Are all your computers on the 192.168.1.x subnet? What is the IP address of your Mac?
Yup. My iMac is 192.168.1.9.
Signature depreciated.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2008, 10:01 PM

Firewall?
Vandelay Industries

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Firewall?
None.
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 02:38 AM

What are FreeBSD's network settings? What is it using for its gateway IP? The IP of your router assigning DHCP address, or the router of your Mac? You can find these settings in /etc/rc.conf.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 03:03 AM

Well, I can't help with Ubuntu on VMWare, but Bridged Mode works fine for my XP and Vista installs.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, I can't help with Ubuntu on VMWare, but Bridged Mode works fine for my XP and Vista installs.

-t

There is no Ubuntu involved here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 12:25 PM

That's what CATS said:
Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Ubuntu failing[/IMG]
At any rate, maybe it's just CATS failing ?

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 07:56 PM

-t
Thats not Ubuntu running in VMware, thats a separate PC I have running it.

What are FreeBSD's network settings? What is it using for its gateway IP? The IP of your router assigning DHCP address, or the router of your Mac? You can find these settings in /etc/rc.conf.
Its using the DHCP server as the gateway for it (192.168.1.1).

What I don't understand is why this is happening in Fusion 2 but not when I was using Parallels 3...
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 08:44 PM

-t
Why do you feel so compelled to always get in these completely needless and pointless digs? Relax a little man!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 08:47 PM

Thats not Ubuntu running in VMware, thats a separate PC I have running it.

Its using the DHCP server as the gateway for it (192.168.1.1).

What I don't understand is why this is happening in Fusion 2 but not when I was using Parallels 3...
Is your FBSD machine set to use DHCP, or a static IP? If the former, is the IP showing up in the list of machines that have received a DHCP lease in your router admin?

I find that for VMs that are on sometimes it generally works much better to assign them to a static IP on my VLAN. For starters this allows me to not have to figure out the IP of the machine I'm trying to connect to, whenever I need to do so.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 08:57 PM

That's what CATS said:

-t
First, the screen shot is of Ubuntu failing to connect to the virtual machine running FreeBSD. He said that his OTHER machines (which apparently include an Ubuntu machine) can't connect to the FreeBSD VM, with the exception of his iMac. It's NOT about Ubuntu, and when besson said "There is no Ubuntu involved here," he was referring to the problem machine, not the others on the network.

Second, civility is in order here, and if we don't have it, we will have infractions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 01:22 AM

Is your FBSD machine set to use DHCP, or a static IP? If the former, is the IP showing up in the list of machines that have received a DHCP lease in your router admin?
Yes and yes.

I find that for VMs that are on sometimes it generally works much better to assign them to a static IP on my VLAN. For starters this allows me to not have to figure out the IP of the machine I'm trying to connect to, whenever I need to do so.
I'll have to look into that. I don't have a VLAN so, I wonder if its possible to have static and DHCP-assigned IPs on the same network?
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2008, 05:08 AM

Yes and yes.

I'll have to look into that. I don't have a VLAN so, I wonder if its possible to have static and DHCP-assigned IPs on the same network?
Sorry, I meant to say LAN, not VLAN.

Putting your machines on static IPs is simple. Just choose an IP on your subnet, and set this manually... i.e. take one of the IPs auto-assigned to you by your DHCP and set this same information manually so that it is permanent.

Releasing and renewing your DHCP lease on your FBSD box may solve the problem, but if using a static IP works for you this ought to be an easier solution. I haven't completely wrapped my head around why bridged VMs might have difficulty with DHCP, but I do believe I've run into the same problem you've had that was solved by using a static IP. I run VMWare Server this way with multiple FBSD VMs and this has worked fine. It has also worked under KVM/Qemu as well.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 05:38 AM

Sorry, I meant to say LAN, not VLAN.

Putting your machines on static IPs is simple. Just choose an IP on your subnet, and set this manually... i.e. take one of the IPs auto-assigned to you by your DHCP and set this same information manually so that it is permanent.

Releasing and renewing your DHCP lease on your FBSD box may solve the problem, but if using a static IP works for you this ought to be an easier solution. I haven't completely wrapped my head around why bridged VMs might have difficulty with DHCP, but I do believe I've run into the same problem you've had that was solved by using a static IP. I run VMWare Server this way with multiple FBSD VMs and this has worked fine. It has also worked under KVM/Qemu as well.
Just to note: this happens on all VMs I run (FreeBSD, Nexenta, and OpenSolaris). I'll try setting a static IP for FreeBSD and post back.
Signature depreciated.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 05:44 AM

Yes, VMware does have a problem with bridge mode. I couldn't get internet access.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Yes, VMware does have a problem with bridge mode. I couldn't get internet access.
And static IPs don't help.

Parallels: Networking works, but horrible UNIX/Linux support!
VMware Fusion: UNIX/Linux support, but networking doesn't work!
Signature depreciated.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 06:14 AM

And static IPs don't help.

Parallels: Networking works, but horrible UNIX/Linux support!
VMware Fusion: UNIX/Linux support, but networking doesn't work!
Well, I have parallels too and bridge mode works fine. Except my version of Parallels is 2.0. Heard how great Fusion was, so I bought a copy. To my surprise, I couldn't even get the network connection working after I had Fusion and Windows XP installed.

Had to switch over from bridged mode to NAT. Was working for a day, then got so error from Fusion saying some network error or something. Then switched back to NAT mode again. Seems to be working now. I don't remember how I got it working.

All I remember is that I went ahead and registered with VMware, so I can download the latest update.

Not sure if you are using wifi or your ethernet port. You might want turn off wifi and try the ethernet port and see if you can get that working. Switch to NAT mode and enter a static IP, gateway address, and even the DNS servers.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 AM

Well, I have parallels too and bridge mode works fine. Except my version of Parallels is 2.0. Heard how great Fusion was, so I bought a copy. To my surprise, I couldn't even get the network connection working after I had Fusion and Windows XP installed.

Had to switch over from bridged mode to NAT. Was working for a day, then got so error from Fusion saying some network error or something. Then switched back to NAT mode again. Seems to be working now. I don't remember how I got it working.

All I remember is that I went ahead and registered with VMware, so I can download the latest update.

Not sure if you are using wifi or your ethernet port. You might want turn off wifi and try the ethernet port and see if you can get that working. Switch to NAT mode and enter a static IP, gateway address, and even the DNS servers.
I need to have all ports open incoming and outgoing working in order for me to get any work done. NAT mode blocks all incoming ports.
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2008, 05:03 PM

It can't be completely broken.

I use VMWare with bridge mode and static IP on XP. Works.

Maybe it's just broken with *nix flavors.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 06:58 PM

You mentioned you had Parallels installed before. Did you get it completely uninstalled? If not, you might still have some of Parallels' virtual network extensions interfering.

I use Fusion in bridged mode without any problems at work. Since we still use Netware with IPX, it's my only choice.
Vandelay Industries

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 09:28 PM

You mentioned you had Parallels installed before. Did you get it completely uninstalled? If not, you might still have some of Parallels' virtual network extensions interfering.

I use Fusion in bridged mode without any problems at work. Since we still use Netware with IPX, it's my only choice.
I had parallels installed on my MacBook. I installed Fusion on my MacBook Pro. Got a copy with my MacBook Pro purchase.

But I'm not the only one with the problem. I just google search and fine that many people are having the same problem.

I had problems with both NAT and Bridged mode in Fusion. It's working fine right now however. I'm actually using NAT mode right now on Fusion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2008, 09:58 PM

I had parallels installed on my MacBook. I installed Fusion on my MacBook Pro. Got a copy with my MacBook Pro purchase.
Well, maybe Art is on to something.

I never had Paralells installed.

However, thinking about it, I do remember once when Bridge Mode acted strange. But the problem disappeared and I never bothered investigating.

-t

Cold Warrior
Dec 29, 2008, 10:03 PM

At one point -- perhaps the upgrade to Leopard or maybe a minor point release -- Fusion 2.0 networking stopped working. The only thing that fixed it was a complete uninstall-reinstall. Have you tried that?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 10:39 PM

Well, maybe Art is on to something.

I never had Paralells installed.

However, thinking about it, I do remember once when Bridge Mode acted strange. But the problem disappeared and I never bothered investigating.

-t
No. I had parallels installed on my MacBook, not my MacBook Pro. I have 2 separate laptops, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. My MacBook Pro is brand new and had nothing installed except for whatever preloaded from Apple. If Fusion doesn't work correctly on a brand spanking new MacBook Pro, then it must be broken. This MacBook Pro is the previous non-unibody generation.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 10:56 PM

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the OP.
Vandelay Industries

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 02:24 AM

All I removed was the Parallels apps and the virtual network interfaces, are there more files?

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
At one point -- perhaps the upgrade to Leopard or maybe a minor point release -- Fusion 2.0 networking stopped working. The only thing that fixed it was a complete uninstall-reinstall. Have you tried that?
I'll try that, thanks.
Signature depreciated.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 02:38 AM

All I removed was the Parallels apps and the virtual network interfaces, are there more files?
Yes, use the uninstaller.
Vandelay Industries

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 08:48 AM

Yes, use the uninstaller.
I didn't have the uninstaller handy so I had to use terminal commands. I also updated VMware Fusion 2, lets see if this works now.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 10:04 AM

I didn't have the uninstaller handy so I had to use terminal commands. I also updated VMware Fusion 2, lets see if this works now.
Removing all Parallels leftovers and updating didn't work.
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules