Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 27" glossy Apple Cinema Display or 23" antiglare CD

27" glossy Apple Cinema Display or 23" antiglare CD
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 24, 2010, 10:01 AM

I've had repeated hum problems with my 23" Apple Cinema Display, such that Apple has offered to replace it with a 27" ACD -- which is glossy. It seems like the new ACD is better in many respects -- except for the reflections. I did have a late 2008 MacBook Pro with a glossy display, and it was manageable, but I'm afraid that the reflections could be much worse on a display of this size.

The antiglare vs. glossy question is so often debated with no clear consensus -- can anyone offer some more thoughts?

OreoCookie
Nov 24, 2010, 10:34 AM

Isn't the choice obvious?
Get the 27" ACD and try it. If you don't like it, sell it for $$$ and get a matte display (I have an Eizo at home which I love). Problem solved

It's personal taste whether or not you prefer glossy or matte. My MacBook Pro has a glossy display which is gorgeous, but all my external displays are matte. I deliberately wanted to try glassy and I must say, 95 % of the time, I don't notice anything. Try it and give it a few days. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, there's always ebay.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 24, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Isn't the choice obvious?
Get the 27" ACD and try it. If you don't like it, sell it for $$$ and get a matte display (I have an Eizo at home which I love). Problem solved

It's personal taste whether or not you prefer glossy or matte. My MacBook Pro has a glossy display which is gorgeous, but all my external displays are matte. I deliberately wanted to try glassy and I must say, 95 % of the time, I don't notice anything. Try it and give it a few days. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, there's always ebay.
I used to have the same configuration: I had a glossy MBP which I used with my matte 23" ACD. The new config would be the reverse: a high-res matte MBP which I would then connect to my glossy 27" ACD.

So there's no reason to stick with the 23" matte ACD? There are better displays on the market right now?

OreoCookie
Nov 24, 2010, 12:01 PM

Well the 27" ACD does have an excellent panel that doesn't have to hide behind its competition. Matte displays and glossy displays only differ by additional compensator foils so you actually get better image quality on glossy displays if you disregard reflections.

I only suggest to sell the 27" ACD in case you don't like glossy displays.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2010, 04:27 AM

I wish that my 23" Cinema had a humming problem Please let us know how things go.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2010, 11:26 AM

I really like the new 27" CD, actually. But (picky, picky), there's a bit of a shadow along the bottom edge:

Within spec?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2010, 11:37 AM

Looks more like your camera is broken.
Strange anomalies all over that picture.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2010, 11:38 AM

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Do you see what the arrows are pointing to?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2010, 11:41 AM

I can perhaps see a brighter line, but as I said, I can see others, so I don't know if they're reflections or not.
Can you take focused picture?

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Can you take focused picture?
Sure.
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Nov 27, 2010 at 04:46 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2010, 12:46 PM

I can perhaps see a hint of a dark line, but it's negligable.
I've monitors which have much bigger problems.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well the 27" ACD does have an excellent panel that doesn't have to hide behind its competition. Matte displays and glossy displays only differ by additional compensator foils so you actually get better image quality on glossy displays if you disregard reflections.

I only suggest to sell the 27" ACD in case you don't like glossy displays.
I looked closely on these display. It's not only foils.

There's a glass panel between the screen and the eye, and that's exactly what bothers me more than the gloss. It doesn't give me the impression to be completely clear, but slightly tinted. It moves the image away from the eye and makes it harder to judge.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2010, 10:18 AM

Couple of other issues:

1. I have password-protected wake from sleep. Sometimes, when my machine wakes, the display backlight turns on, but there's no password dialog. I can type my password and hit return, and then I see the desktop. Obviously the password dialog isn't being displayed on screen. Fix?

2. Yesterday, my macbook pro stopped responding to the keyboard (I have the kbd and my Apple modem plugged into the back of the Cinema Display). Running System Profiler and clicking on USB revealed that the entire USB chain related to the display was missing. Unplugging the display's USB cable from my computer and reconnecting it fixed the problem. Is this a problem with the display or my computer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules