Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Who keeps hacking my iCloud account?

Who keeps hacking my iCloud account?
Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2013, 02:12 PM

I woke up this morning and saw that someone changed one of the "calendars" in my iCloud account from bright yellow to purple. But I never changed any colors...ever. So, I changed it back this morning, and this afternoon, it's purple again! The other colors ("calendars") remain the same.

What is going on? Is someone hacking my account?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2013, 02:32 PM

sounds like you got graped by The Grapist

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2013, 05:14 PM

And now two out of my four calendars are changed to a different color. I'll change them back again.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2013, 05:39 PM

Funny, one of my calendars changed colors too.

And.reg, it is *far* more likely that there is simply an iCloud/Calendar bug of some sort than it is that your/our accounts have been hacked.

Most "hacking" is just spam bots interested in using an account for spamming or phishing, which can involve defacing/hijacking a website, fooling you into doing stuff, etc. There is far less hacking in terms of trying to obtain sensitive information with the intent to do something illegal with it in comparison to the spam harvesting type stuff, and I would think that there isn't anything of real significant value to the criminal population in most iCloud accounts anyway.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2013, 12:11 AM

It wasn't me. Stop looking at me.

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It wasn't me. Stop looking at me.
Watching you.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Ham Sandwich
Aug 15, 2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Funny, one of my calendars changed colors too.

And.reg, it is *far* more likely that there is simply an iCloud/Calendar bug of some sort than it is that your/our accounts have been hacked.
Well it's an extremely obnoxious bug...the colors I have set help me to categorize themes and when I change the color back and sometimes 5 seconds later it gets changed on me, again, it can get exhausting.

How long until Apple remedies this? I didn't see any alert on their System Status page.

Apple - Support - System Status

Nada, no problems with iCloud it says.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Well it's an extremely obnoxious bug...the colors I have set help me to categorize themes and when I change the color back and sometimes 5 seconds later it gets changed on me, again, it can get exhausting.

How long until Apple remedies this? I didn't see any alert on their System Status page.

Apple - Support - System Status

Nada, no problems with iCloud it says.

That is their system status page, bugs are excluded.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2013, 02:28 PM

And.reg, it's possible no one has told Apple about this yet. You can use their Feedback page to submit a bug report, describing the problem clearly. The date it first happened on would be helpful, along with any changes you did right before that. Try to give them enough info to recreate the problem.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 15, 2013, 04:19 PM

iCal/Calendars just said: "Upgrading Calendars" when I re-launched, so maybe they found a remedy.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 8, 2013, 08:59 PM

Well it just started happening again... I didn't do anything, other than update my iCloud and have my iPod open...

...which, by the way, doesn't ever actually automatically update, I have to tap Calendar, wait 20 seconds, and then it updates. Why doesn't it just update behind the scenes? (Or... it won't update at all! Until I open Calendars, wait the 20 seconds, then nothing updates, then hit the Home button, then re-open Calendars, then it'll update. Same with Reminders. Why the delay?)

And why are the colors changing on me, again?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 9, 2013, 07:35 AM

Problem remains. I didn't see a place to file a bug report, so I just sent feedback from that form.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 10, 2013, 02:45 PM

Well I just tried the technique that spartan2424 suggested:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23350924#23350924

This worked. At the end, I imported the "corrupted" categories. The Calendars app asks me if I want to assign the events to my re-created calendars. I select them, for each calendar, and all of my events are recovered.

What a pain. Apple needs to release one more iOS 6.x update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules