Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wintel 1.2 vs. Virtual PC 6.1

Wintel 1.2 vs. Virtual PC 6.1
cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 17, 2004, 05:58 AM

As I already posted in another thread I need to run MindJet on my PB17 Rev. A.

Virtual PC seems like the best option.

Is WinTel 1.2 a viable alternative? The price difference is more than 100$. Fine with me as long as it works just as well.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 07:19 AM

Bochs (and all this WinTel thing appears to do is launch Bochs) - Bochs is about 1000 times slower than VirtualPC.

Whether that is a viable option for you depends on how much time you have. At least it's free.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

cszar2001  (op)
Photo Architect
Apr 17, 2004, 07:23 AM

Oh well-this way Bill Gates stays the richest man in the world.
Big MindMaps take quite some time-even with a fast processor.
Virtual PC it is then.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 03:40 AM

I highly recommend choosing Win2000 for VPC and having your RAM maxed out for acceptable speed, even with your model Powerbook. You may even find having to close all other running applications in OSX while using VPC to avoid the legendary speed issues.

cszar2001  (op)
Photo Architect
Apr 18, 2004, 04:51 AM

I bought the standalone version of VPC since I have an old copy of Windows XP lying around. With all the graphics stuff disabled XP should be as fast as Windows 2000.

I have 1GB RAM. That should do the trick.

Me on Flickr.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 08:30 AM

Just FYI, don't expect VPC to run well at all. It's always been a dog, but people who've never used it are always surprised how poor the performance really is.

On a dual-1GHz G4 (the fastest machine I've used that will run VPC), it ran slower than a Celeron 366 I had lying around. I'm still waiting for a G5-compatible version to see if there will ever be a future for VPC, but so far buying a PC has been the only viable option for me.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

cszar2001  (op)
Photo Architect
Apr 18, 2004, 08:50 AM

I�m prepared to suffer quite a lot.
But MindJet is not that power hungry-so I should be able to work with it quite well.

Buying a second Laptop just for this one program is no option.

Me on Flickr.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 04:38 PM

WinXP, even with all the interface graphics turned down/off is still slower on VPC than Win2K. I can get VPC/Win2K to run acceptably on a 900MHz G3; WinXP is much slower on the same hardware.

andybrawer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I bought the standalone version of VPC since I have an old copy of Windows XP lying around. With all the graphics stuff disabled XP should be as fast as Windows 2000.

I have 1GB RAM. That should do the trick.
Don't be so sure that 1GB will do the trick - I have the same configuration and it was still a dog. I tried disabling all the graphics in WIN XP as well as other unneeded services, and still saw a significant performance improvement when "upgrading" back to WIN 2K.

You can get some optimization tips here

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm if you stick with WIN XP or

http://www.blackviper.com/Win2K/servicecfg.htm if you use WIN 2K

cszar2001  (op)
Photo Architect
Apr 27, 2004, 02:46 PM

Installed everything. Mind Manager is running just fine. The only thing that takes forever is exporting websites (the "convert to website" feature).
Never thought XP could be that slow.

To sum up: it`s definitely worth it.

Me on Flickr.

sbc
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2004, 09:41 AM

Is Wintel/Bochs performance improved any? Is VPC still superior?
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by sbc:
Is Wintel/Bochs performance improved any? Is VPC still superior?
VPC will likely always be superior. Bochs is written in standard C, whereas VPC is written in PowerPC assembly.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules