Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > April 2007 NPD sales numbers. DS dominates. Wii in second place. PS3 among the worst.

April 2007 NPD sales numbers. DS dominates. Wii in second place. PS3 among the worst.
Eug
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 09:04 PM

April NPD numbers

Unit sales:

DS: 471K
Wii: 360K
PS2: 194K
PSP: 183K
360: 174K
GBA: 84K
PS3: 82K
GC: 13K

US hardware install base, since release:

PS2 – 38.2 million
GBA – 35.7 million
GameCube – 11.7 million
Nintendo DS – 10.9 million
PSP – 7.4 million
Xbox 360 – 5.4 million
Wii – 2.5 million
PS3 – 1.3 million

Top 10 game sales chart:

Pokemon Diamond—NDS—Nintendo—1.045 M
Pokemon Pearl—NDS—Nintendo—712K
Super Paper Mario—Wii—Nintendo—352K
Wii Play w/remote—Wii—Nintendo—249K
Guitar Hero 2 w/guitar—360—Activision—197K
Guitar Hero 2 w/guitar—PS2—Activision—142K
Spider-Man 3—360—Activision—117K
Spider-Man 3—PS2—Activision—105K
God of War II—PS2—Sony—101K
MLB '07: The Show—PS2—Sony—79K

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 10:21 PM

Nintendo is kicking arse - who could have imagined? I guess innovation works.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

riley46
May 17, 2007, 11:27 PM

If Wii's stocks are not limited, it could have topped the sales very easily. Nintendo hasn't taken full advantage of the saying, "Strike while the iron is hot." This is one aspect that is very regrettable in my opinion.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 11:33 PM

Wow, after all the stories about what a success the Wii is and what a failure the PS3 is, I expect the Wii to have a much larger lead in installed base.
Not even double the installed base is kinda pathetic considering that it costs less than half as much.

highstakes
Senior User
May 18, 2007, 01:58 AM

I really wonder how it will play out during this holiday season, only big games I see is GTA IV and Halo 3...I doubt Mario Galaxy will have a big impact as one of those two titles. PS3 either will die (or forced to cut the price) in the next year, or it will follow the path of PSX, PS2 and will last more than 5 years.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Wow, after all the stories about what a success the Wii is and what a failure the PS3 is, I expect the Wii to have a much larger lead in installed base.
Not even double the installed base is kinda pathetic considering that it costs less than half as much.
It's the PS3's numbers that are pathetic. The PS3 had a natural lead because of the dominance of the PS2, and Sony totally blew it. Wii availability has suffered due to parts shortages, which has had an effect on installed base, but it's still in second place in terms of sales - quite an achievement for a system that many derided as a minor upgrade from the GameCube.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 08:05 AM

Mario party 8 is very close....... and from a relitavely trust worthy source...SSBB will be out before the end of July.

Ive never played either...but i do know they are system sellers.

Pretty good for a gimmick if you ask me. also.... the GBA outsold the PS3 ? wtf

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 10:04 AM

Sony needs some big games coming out over summer... Haven't seen any yet :/
we don't have time to stop for gas

ink
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 10:19 AM

Sony keeps promising big titles, but until they actually deliver, the PS3 is just an expensive Bluray player (and, knowing how Sony optical drives fail, not a very good one at that).

I want to buy a PS3, but honestly, there are no games for it that interest me.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 01:15 PM

You can buy an HD-DVD player for less then $300.

I think the PS3 is in trouble. Way more then I could have ever imagined in my most dire scenario. They really don't have any huge titles coming out for the rest of the year. Nothing that will make a huge splash anyway, like Halo or Mario.

A price drop won't help them either, since Microsoft will just counter with a price drop of their own.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 02:38 PM

Sony Gamers Day 2007

Quite a few games down the pipeline actually. Most people are waiting for them to actually ship before making a buying decision.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
Sony keeps promising big titles, but until they actually deliver, the PS3 is just an expensive Bluray player (and, knowing how Sony optical drives fail, not a very good one at that).
An expensive Blu-ray player? You mean one of the cheapest Blu-ray players, don't you? And what's with this "it's probably going to fail" FUD? No one can say what long-term reliability will be like, but as of right now it rivals the standalone players in quality.

The PS3 doesn't have much available now that distinguishes it from the 360, but with titles like Lair, Ratchet & Clank, Heavenly Sword, White Knight, Uncharted, and of course (eventually) Final Fantasy XIII on the way, it'll do all right. It's probably good for the industry overall if it doesn't dominate like the PS2 did.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 03:26 PM

First to 10 million wins.

ink
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
An expensive Blu-ray player? You mean one of the cheapest Blu-ray players, don't you?
Expensive for me, I suppose. I would never blow $500 on a movie player.
And what's with this "it's probably going to fail" FUD? No one can say what long-term reliability will be like, but as of right now it rivals the standalone players in quality.
It comes from my 3 PSX's and my 2 PS2's.
The PS3 doesn't have much available now that distinguishes it from the 360, but with titles like Lair, Ratchet & Clank, Heavenly Sword, White Knight, Uncharted, and of course (eventually) Final Fantasy XIII on the way, it'll do all right. It's probably good for the industry overall if it doesn't dominate like the PS2 did.
I'll probably end up buying one, but not until there's at least one must-have game out.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 06:15 PM

I just find it a little strange to intimate that the PS3 will be unreliable when so far I've heard of no major problems, while the 360 has been pretty bad in terms of reliability. (Although my personal 360 has been fine so far.)

highstakes
Senior User
May 18, 2007, 06:48 PM

I just find it a little strange to intimate that the PS3 will be unreliable when so far I've heard of no major problems, while the 360 has been pretty bad in terms of reliability. (Although my personal 360 has been fine so far.)
Yeap, seems like PS3 is the most reliable system in this gen. I had to return my 360 twice, and had my consoles bricked so many times; god knows when this one will die on me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 07:35 PM

PS3 most reliable ? didnt it have some problems upscaling old games ? and how about the initially claimed "complete" backwards compatibility (for both NTSC and PAL territories).

I know about the XB360s dreaded red ring of death and that whole warranty fiasco with M$.

On the otther hand, the Wii's only "issue" so far has been the wiimost strap, which imo is due to idiocy than a faulty component, which i might add, Nintnedo went ahead and replaced free of charge anyway.

So nah...i wouldnt put the PS3 up there as being the most reliable. My housemate is a Sony fanboy, whos PS2(slim) hasnt been able to play a single DVD movie without skipping since day 1 either.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 07:40 PM

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So nah...i wouldnt put the PS3 up there as being the most reliable. My housemate is a Sony fanboy, whos PS2(slim) hasnt been able to play a single DVD movie without skipping since day 1 either.
He should have returned it day 1.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
PS3 most reliable ? didnt it have some problems upscaling old games ? and how about the initially claimed "complete" backwards compatibility (for both NTSC and PAL territories).
Do you know what reliability means?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 08:08 PM

And admit there's a problem with it ?

He got it modded day one to play multiregion movies(which it "surprisingly" cannot, why anyone would want to watch DVDs on it anyway is beyond me) and to bootleg software.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 08:09 PM

Do you know what reliability means?
Not a clue mate.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 08:21 PM

OK... In a word, we're talking about whether the console will break or not. Things like backwards compatibility or scaling or whatever may be important issues, but they have no impact on whether or not a console will experience a hardware failure. Both the Wii and PS3 seem good in this regard, but the 360 seems to break with disturbing frequency. Microsoft's response? "Y'know, things break."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 08:25 PM

I was bing sarcastic, but thanks anyway

my bad labeling those *issues* as reliability related.... just thought id highlight the major issues facing the 3.

Cheers

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 08:36 PM

I figured you were being sarcastic, but then again you were conflating two unrelated issues with reliability problems, so who knows?

Anyway, the scaling issue is apparently fixed for newer games. Older ones like Resistance may never be fixed though. And backwards compatibility (while not as good as the Wiis) is really very good on the PS3. Even the "limited" backwards compatibility for the European models that got everyone upset turned out to be a relative non-issue.

ink
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 08:42 PM

Playstation has been my first choice over the last two generations (had both on day 1), but they have had horrible optical drive problems. Based on that experience, I don't think I'd run my PS3 drive just to watch a movie; I'll use a device that is meant to play it. Noting that not only is the BR drive new to Sony itself, but also new to the industry as well.... Maybe Sony nailed it this time, I guess we'll see. Personally, I wouldn't run the drive just to watch a movie.

I'm not saying the 360 is problem-free either; but at least the HD drive can be easily replaced if you do choose to watch movies on it.

The Wii doesn't have this "problem".

Forum Links
Forum Rules