Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Simplest possible CMS?

Simplest possible CMS?
Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 04:33 AM

Hi everyone,

So I'm developing a quick website and I'm at that always annoying CMS part of it. I have looked at both greymatter and wordpress and they are both far more than I need. I'm not really looking for a blog. Just a something that provides a web based interface for content.

I have a news, about, and contact page I'd like to make easily editable. It would be nice if the CMS used something like TinyMCE to make the content visually editable. Ideally it would also have some concept of posts and page collation for the main page. A user can make posts and delete them. But I have no need for comments or saving posts before they're published or anything like that.

Is there anything like I'm looking for? I was almost tempted to use wordpress to be the administrative part of it and then writing a quick and dirty script that read from the RSS feed and showed the appropriate posts/content on the main page. I'm not against this approach, but I think the RSS feed only shows the first 10 or so entries. I also think the RSS feed has summaries instead of full entries.

Help?

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 04:39 PM

I just found Bloxsom and it's works perfectly.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 25, 2007, 10:11 PM

I would honestly take a look at Wordpress.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2007, 02:07 AM

Use Wordpress Posts for your news page, Wordpress Pages for your static pages.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 02:31 AM

Have you considered a wiki? PMwiki is text-file based and is pretty darn easy to use.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 02:57 AM

I actually installed both greymatter and wordpress yesterday to see how well they would work for what I'm doing. To recap, my goals are:

- To let the owners of the site add brief posts to the front page.
- To let them modify the intro text in 4 other pages without mucking around in the HTML.

My problem with wordpress was that there was just way too much there. It's about 5 mb and hundreds of files. Blosxom is 1 file and 16 kb. I've developed a wordpress site before and you have to build your site around it. I like Blosxom because I just drop in a script and tell it where I'm going to put my entries.

I can see it continuing to be useful whenever I want my clients to be able to edit a few simple pages on a brochure type website. There are a lot of other things I like about it (flavours, simple plug-ins), so I think I'm going to stick with it.

I have very simple needs so I'm using a very simple tool that I can easily integrate into my site. If my needs change, I can change my tools.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2007, 03:18 AM

Why don't you just develop your own tool? Attaching TinyMCE to a textarea is extremely easy. It sounds like you just need a few forms and some input validation. If you want something super simple and simplified for your needs, building your own forms might be a worthy option if all existing tools don't pan out.

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 04:42 AM

I thought about it. Really .

It's simple enough enough to make a tool lets you visually edit text files or links to a database. It would work well enough for the static pages. Doing it for the dynamic post-based pages would be a little more annoying. I would have to implement pagination, view options, templates for the posts, etc... Not incredibly difficult things, but by the time I was done, I basically would have written Blosxom. Its simple plugin functionality and large repository are also appealing. I was able to just drop in the Gruber's Smartypants tool into the plugins folder and a simple script that lets me define authors in a "jack.article.txt" format, which I can pull in the templates.

That said, you still have to edit the entries as text files, which you could see as either good or bad. I personally like the feature. What I might end up doing is writing a simple tool like in my mockup that edits/creates/updates the text files that Blosxom works with. Either edit from your desktop, command line, or the web. Keep the HTML separate from the content. Keep the logic separate from the HTML. I like it!

transparent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2007, 03:46 PM

If you have a little time, you should go over to Open source CMS as they have a lot of working demo you may find helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules