Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can’t edit iPhoto Library over network… help!

Can’t edit iPhoto Library over network… help!
bojangles
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 04:40 AM

I recently picked up a couple of 500GB SATA drives to put in our old B&W G3, thinking a mirrored drive would make a good multimedia repository. The B&W stays awake 24/7 and streams our iTunes (via wired connection to a 802.11g AirPort Extreme) anywhere we like, but the 128GB limitation means the 160GB ATA drives already in there weren’t big enough for both our iTunes and our iPhotos, and I had an extra SATA card anyway, so….

Anyway, the drives have been installed and formatted and now contain our iPhoto Library. I’ve pointed iPhoto on both our Power Mac G5 and our MacBook to the drive in the G3, knowing full well that they can’t access it at the same time. (Thanks to Leopard’s screen sharing, I can easily quit iPhoto remotely on the other computer, so not a huge deal.) iPhoto works beautifully and is just about as responsive as it was with the Library on the local drive. Everything seems to be working great.

Except I can’t edit.

I click the “Edit” button, the background changes from black to white, and… nothing. No matter what I do, the photo doesn’t change (unless I try to zoom in, in which case it disappears).

So what do I do now? Would the G3’s processor speed really affect this (since it’s just the hard drive being used)? Is 100Mb ethernet not fast enough for this kind of thing? Any help would be appreciated!

(Note: I placed this in Networking because the issue is obviously with the Library being on a shared drive and I figured networking expertise would be more valuable than application expertise. If this is inappropriate, I apologize in advance. Thanks!)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2008, 08:41 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is file permissions. Are your iPhoto files set to allow you to edit them over the network? I believe you're saying that your humongo-drives are attached directly to the B&W, and that's what's sharing their content. If I have this straight, I think the B&W should allow you to edit the pictures if you log in to it directly-is that right? If it is, then it's probably a network user permission issue. You'll have to configure the B&W to allow everybody to read and write files in the photo library folder, making sure that this covers not just local but network users as well.

I could be way off base with this, but that's where I'd start looking...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 11:11 AM

Glen,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, that’s not it…. The drives are attached directly to the B&W—I stuck a two-port SATA card in one of the PCI slots—and I’ve got the drive set to my account as owner, admin can edit, and “Ignore ownership on this volume” is checked, anyway.

Here’s an interesting quandary: I’ve now discovered that the MacBook can edit the photos, although everything happens more slowly (since it’s connecting via 802.11g). So now I’m really cornfused.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
So now I’m really cornfused.
Me too. One networked computer can edit, but the rest can't? My head hurts!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 04:27 PM

…and suddenly all works fine.

So now that it’s working, let’s break it.
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules