Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac OS X Server and iPhoto sharing?

Mac OS X Server and iPhoto sharing?
bojangles
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 04:26 PM

I have a B&W G3 running Mac OS X Server v.10.3.9 that’s currently being used for… well, nothing. If I were to transfer my iPhoto Library to that machine, could Mac OS X Server serve up the iPhoto Library and allow multiple workstations to use it concurrently?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 04:50 PM

AFAIK, the protocol used for discovering/sharing iLife libraries in OS X is only used for providing read access to a photo collection. So, I believe that your best case scenario would be to allow people to browse your photo collection, but they wouldn't be able to alter it.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 05:38 PM

Hey, besson. Thanks for the tip. I actually knew that about iPhoto’s sharing, but I’m talking about bypassing that entirely and just using Mac OS X Server’s sharing so each computer can use the same Library package (which is, of course, on the shared drive). Does that make sense?

Thanks again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 05:45 PM

Ahh, at the file system level.. okay.

You could mount your network share hosted by your server on each of your workstation and create a symbolic link to point to your Photo Library located on your server. The same technique works for sharing iTunes libraries.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 12:15 AM

You could mount your network share hosted by your server on each of your workstation and create a symbolic link to point to your Photo Library located on your server. The same technique works for sharing iTunes libraries.
Really…. Now I’m very excited. I’ve been using cron jobs to shut down iTunes on all computers and back up the Library to the server, every 24 hours. You just made my weekend!
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 12:33 PM

Well, I used besson3c’s method and it worked beautifully!—for two days. Then I tried to use iMovie. For some reason, iMovie doesn’t recognize the iPhoto Library, presumably because iPhoto is accessing a symbolic link instead of an actual Library package.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

ETA: It doesn’t work any more at all. I tried to access the iPhoto Library from a second computer concurrently; no dice. Then I tried the same from iTunes; also didn’t work. Why on earth did this work (in iPhoto, anyway) for two days and then nothing?
( Last edited by bojangles; Jan 14, 2008 at 12:58 PM. )
—Abraham Lincoln

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Well, I used besson3c’s method and it worked beautifully!—for two days. Then I tried to use iMovie. For some reason, iMovie doesn’t recognize the iPhoto Library, presumably because iPhoto is accessing a symbolic link instead of an actual Library package.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

It shouldn't matter that you are using a symbolic link, as applications can't tell the difference...

Doesn't iMovie create iPhoto Library caches and use those instead?

Forum Links
Forum Rules