Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Bad for OSX?

Bad for OSX?
Jeff75
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 08:31 AM

I run SETI 24/7 on my MDD tower. The CPU's are almost completely maxed out, according to CPU Monitor.

I remember reading (I think on MacNN forums) a long time ago that OSX uses the CPU during "idle time" (when the CPU's aren't being used to their fullest) to perform some sort of system maintenance.

Is this true? Am I causing damage to the stability of my system by maxing out the processors 24/7 and not letting this "maintenance" get done properly?

Just yesterday I had to hard reboot (using the button on the tower) because SOMETHING just wasn't right - many applications, including SETI - couldn't start, or process their preference files. First time it has happened.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2003, 09:49 AM

No.

OSX maintenance runs no matter what.
It runs at about 2AM, if I remember correctly.

Almost everyone here has their CPUs maxed 24/7 (what's the point of not using them? ), and I know that at least for me, there are no problems.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 01:30 PM

Ditto here too. After months of running non-stop under OS-X, not a problem.

Your problem may have been caused by some other software issue. Since moving to OS-X, my only downtime has been the result of power outages.

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 10:18 PM

Great! I was hoping you would say that!
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

wfolta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 02:52 AM

MacOS X, unlike MacOS 9, has preemptive multitasking. That is, the OS is not at the mercy of running programs -- in general -- and when it decides it's time to give another application a chance to run, it preempts the running application and gives a slice of time to the program waiting to run.

To see this in action for yourself, run Process Viewer (Applications/Utilities/Process Viewer) and then run something else that uses the CPU and see that it gets its share.

In fact, you can see that FAH has a "nice" value of 20, which means it only gets to run if nothing else needs the CPU at that moment. The 100% CPU utilization you see is really everything running that wants/needs to with FAH filling in the spare time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules