Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther to get all-metal interface?

Panther to get all-metal interface?
Nick_G
May 17, 2003, 03:01 PM

The new issue of Mac Format has a report suggesting that Panther will have the 'brushed metal' interface across the OS. I personally hope that Apple don't do this. I prefer the Aqua scheme and I think the metal theme would look horrible. I don't mind it in the odd application but overhauling OS X to incorporate it system-wide would be overkill to the extreme. Aqua looks cool, metal doesn't!

In another column titled 'Time To Release The Panther' there is a picture of a boxed copy of Panther. The box has a large pink X with the cartoon Pink Panther leaping out of the front. I don't know if it's genuine but if it is does this mean that Apple will use Inspector Clouseau to advertise it?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2003, 03:16 PM

I just hope the interface is redone to something a bit more subtle, and it's more consistent. I think Apple is throwing around ideas now.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 17, 2003, 03:21 PM

I seriously doubt they would use the Pink Panther on the box. A few people jokingly made some mock-ups, which is what MacFormat probably printed.

As for metal, it's OK I guess, as long as they're consistent. Things are just too weird half Aqua-half Metal like it is now. In about a month, at WWDC, we'll know for sure though!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2003, 03:36 PM

I like the idea of the all metal theme. But I doubt it will happen. Same theme with a different style dock etc...
we don't have time to stop for gas

calumr
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure I'd like a metal menu bar, dock, TextEdit, Finder...

I hope Apple will fix metal sheets too - they don't look as nice as aqua ones to me.

Nick_G  (op)
May 17, 2003, 04:46 PM

If Apple do have an all-metal interface I hope it's optional and can be changed to Aqua if desired. Hey, maybe the 'Themes' panel will make a comeback! That would be good.

Finrock
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 04:54 PM

I was under the impression that Apple would stick with Aqua for system-related uses and the brushed metal for independent applications.

For example: iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. wil be brushed metal.

-Finrock

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2003, 05:55 PM

We'll all know in a month and 6 days.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 09:14 PM

old news....see this thread and others.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Sven G
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 04:40 AM

Anyway, personally I hope that we'll eventually be able to choose among a few themes in the System Preferences: for example, to begin with, Aqua and - maybe - a more DVD Studio Pro-like "metal" theme - like in this screenshot (see also a previous thread)...

(IMO, the DVD Studio Pro "professional" metal - or, better, metal + Aqua hybrid - interface looks much better than the "classic" one in use today.)

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 12:28 PM

I find the Apple Pro app appearance to be depressing, but that's just my take. Reminds me of working in Windows NT 4, so maybe it's depressing by association.

I do like the general idea that appearances could be selective rather than across the entire OS, used to classify types of applications, their function rather than as anything so, well, superficial. It's inconsistently implemented right now, especially with the brushed metal appearance, but the idea is sound to me, and something I don't think people are taking seriously enough.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 12:32 PM

I've also been hoping we get the DVD studio pro look for the new Aqua, or at least a choice to use it. It looks awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules