Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 4.1 crashes

Safari 4.1 crashes
Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 8, 2010, 03:07 AM

I just installed Safari 4.1 for Tiger, and it crashes every time I try to open it. I tried removing the input manager software that I had added, but that did not help. Is Smart Crash Reports a normal part of Safari, or should I remove that as well? Is there any way to reinstall Safari 4.0.5? Would deleting Safari from the Applications directory make it possible to reinstall 4.0.5?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 03:22 AM

Have you tried running Safari in another account? If it works in a different user account then you know there's something specific to your main user that is causing it to crash.

As for Smart Crash Reports, no that's not a normal part of Safari. I'd get rid of it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 08:36 AM

It works fine for me (10.4.11, PPC), but I had to uninstall ClickToFlash because it caused YouTube to bring the browser down, without even so much as a crash report.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2010, 01:42 PM

I have two accounts on this computer. It refuses to run with both. I got rid of Smart Crash Reports, but that did not help.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2010, 04:36 PM

I deleted Safari using Appzapper, then used Pacifist to install Safari from the Mac install disk. Safari was then at version 2.0.3. I then reinstalled the last combo update for Mac OS Tiger. That brought Safari up to 3.0.4. Safari now works. I tried installing a Safari update again, but the OS still insists that there is a newer version already installed than even v. 3.2.3! How it comes to that conclusion, I have no idea. Is there no way to install any more updates?
Is there any way to fool the OS into considering that the last version of Safari it ever had was 4.0.5? Maybe there is some tweak that can be applied through the Terminal?

themacmonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2010, 03:36 PM

Try this fix, it worked beautifully for me. Safari 4.1 is now working fine.

by blairp36 June 8, 2010 5:46 PM PDT
Had the startup problem with 10.5.8. I tried everything in above article with no joy.

Found this on the Apple Web Site and it worked for me and other people having the problem...

CT plugin seems to cause problem. I did not even know it was installed on my system.

Close Safari, then locate and delete the following files and it should be gone:

/Library/Application Support/Conduit
/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
/Library/Receipts/ctloader.pkg
/Library/Receipts/<Toolbar name>.pkg
/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/CT2285220.bundle
/Users/<User name>/Library/Application Support/Conduit

Christopher

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2010, 01:31 AM

Thanks, but I have no SIMBL plugins, and nothing from Conduit. The only input managers I have are Safari Block and Safari Stand. I tried removing those and that did no good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules