Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > 3 letter search term

3 letter search term
The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 09:48 PM

Since recently it's no longer possible to search for terms with just 3 letters. As a developer of VLC who regurly tries to scour the forums for user issues related to VLC, this is quite disappointing to me. Is there any possible way around this?

Perhaps a user exception ?

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 09:51 PM

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 12:41 AM

This isn't a per-user setting, so a per-user exception won't work. It's there so the search index doesn't balloon to crazy sizes. That said, your use case is a totally reasonable one, so it's conceivable that vB can do a per-*word* exception (i.e. force "VLC" to get indexed). I'll look into it, but it's a bit of a long shot.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 12:42 AM

Things like DVD, VGA, and Mac might be reasonable additions as well.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 12:51 AM

Ah, here's a goofy little trick. Search for VLC* (with the asterisk) instead of VLC. It'll do a wildcard match and the software will let the search through. Since there are no other words starting with VLC, you should just get VLC results. (Just as a side note, the reason this works despite the fact that the normal character limit is 4 is that the search is powered directly by MySQL's fulltext search and not using the forum software's own thing -- otherwise "VLC" would have just been entirely ignored and this trick wouldn't work.)
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

The DJ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 01:16 AM

Thank so much for the enthousiastic and complete responses guys. I'm a happy camper (forum lurker) once again

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 03:07 PM

What's really weird is that in the settings, the system is set to index words 2 letters and longer. I don't know why it's not working.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules