Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radeon 9800 Pro 256 Mac Edition

Radeon 9800 Pro 256 Mac Edition
i2i
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 02:59 PM

I have installed the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 Mac Edition video card in my G4 with the Sonnet Encore G4 1.8 Ghz processor upgrade and am having video freeze up after a few minutes of DVD playback in Apple's DVD application

I'm running OS 10.4.9, have done a complete reinstalled the OS, upgraded the driver from ATI website, have tried using external DVD drive with same result. I sent the video card back for replacement and now upon reinstalling the replacement the problem persists. The freeze up is complete and the computer has to be shut down with a power shutdown.
Could this problem be one of the card overheating?
Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 03:49 PM

The card requires a power connection and includes a power cable splitter so you can split it from the HD power cable. This is required. I removed an HD from my MDD G4 and within hours I kept freezing in WoW and kernal panicking and it was due to the power connecter not being loose.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2007, 04:35 PM

It could be overheating or it is a weak PSU. Between the increased power draw from the video card and processor upgrades, you may be pushing things. Are you using an ADC monitor? How many harddrives do you have?
I love lamp! I love lamp...

i2i  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 06:55 PM

I am running no external drives on this testing period. I am using a VGA monitor as well.

i2i  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 07:02 PM

I'm sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this power cable splitter to split it from the HD cable---and the "power connector not being loose".... ?
Would you be able to explain this in more detail for me or send me a url link to explain this better to me?
I very much appreciate your help!
thanks

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2007, 07:48 PM

The 9800 needs a lot of juice. So the question is, how much power is your computer having to dole out here. Do you have internal hard drives? External devices not powered on their own?
Is the 9800 hooked up to a Power Cable?

The old G4s (like my sawtooth) had power supplys that didn't offer very much power, that's why I've avoided trying to get a better video card:
Between the CPU upgrade, the 3 drives I have internally, the DVD drive, and anything else that's drawing power, it's a lot for the machine to do.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

i2i  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:47 AM

Actually, I'm not running any additional drives in this testing period..only the G4 internal HD. So, I would imagine that the Power supply would be adequate to run the card, no?
I connected the power cable to the card as required for installation.
So, I'm rather stumped...

TerryR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 10:38 AM

The 9800 requires at least a 300W power-supply (acording to Radeon; it sucks 75W all on its own); in my old Sawtooth, I replaced the 208W original with an ATX 300W (with pin-out surgery), and that worked fine (I had a Giga 1.8GHz and four hard drives, also). Depends on your model and the juice that the PSU has, but it really sounds like a power-shortage; check your original specs.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2007, 01:46 PM

If you put your original video card back in, does everything work ok?

If you put your original CPU back in, does everything work ok?
I love lamp! I love lamp...

i2i  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:47 PM

When reinstalling the 128 Rage (original video card) there is no problem with the DVD play. But, I have not reinstalled the original processor...
But, before both were installed at the same time there was no problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules