Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook One updated

Macbook One updated
P
Apr 19, 2016, 12:47 PM

It now has Skylake, a Rose Gold variant, and a higher claimed battery life. The graphics is "HD 515", which is basically the same as what it had before, just one generation newer. Intel says that this a massive improvement gen-for-gen, but then they usually say that - in the end, it is limited by thermals. Flash storage is apparently a little faster, but RAM is still LPDDR3. Still no Thunderbolt. Yawn, basically.

The Air got 8GB RAM standard in the 13" model but no other changes, which (to me) reads as if it stays around a while longer but won't get updated anymore.

The MBP was not touched. I guess WWDC is out next hope now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Apr 20, 2016, 02:28 AM

The MacBook one still has its more glaring flaw, which is the one USB port. I believe that the 2nd gen Macbook Air even had 2 USB ports where the 1st gen MacAir had 1 USB port.

I don't mind only having one USB port, but if the that one USB port happens to also be the power port, then it is a no go for me. Luckily, I bought a 2015 MBA which is nice for my needs.

P  (op)
Apr 20, 2016, 03:45 AM

It is a little bit ironic that the iPad now has more ports than the Macbook One.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2016, 04:22 AM

The iPad *Pro* mind you.

See the trend?

P  (op)
Apr 20, 2016, 04:47 AM

I see it, but I don't understand the logic. The Apple way was always "the best product for this niche", and now the iPad line and the Macbook line clearly overlap. So the Macbook One is for people who want a laptop for trivial tasks like web browsing and therefore don't need ports...except that that is what you get a (much cheaper) iPad for.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2016, 04:52 PM

I think that overlap is by design.

More and more, people will come to the exact conclusion that your line of argumentation begs.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2016, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
The MacBook one still has its more glaring flaw, which is the one USB port. I believe that the 2nd gen Macbook Air even had 2 USB ports where the 1st gen MacAir had 1 USB port.

I don't mind only having one USB port, but if the that one USB port happens to also be the power port, then it is a no go for me. Luckily, I bought a 2015 MBA which is nice for my needs.
Technically it was the third-gen MBA (I have a second-gen and it's still the older design with the flip-down side bit that has a single USB port), but that one extra port made a lot of difference.

That one type C port is just silly to me. I don't want a compact laptop if "compact" translates into a need to carry around an expensive dongle and a USB hub just so I can do basic stuff with my computer.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Technically it was the third-gen MBA (I have a second-gen and it's still the older design with the flip-down side bit that has a single USB port), but that one extra port made a lot of difference.

That one type C port is just silly to me. I don't want a compact laptop if "compact" translates into a need to carry around an expensive dongle and a USB hub just so I can do basic stuff with my computer.
I do see your point, but the argument to be made is that you don't need ANY cables to do "basic" stuff with your computer. For all the "basic" stuff I do with my computer, and that includes all the back office stuff including scanning and printing invoices, I need wireless and a power supply. Full stop.

The MacBook is not for me, definitely, because I have computing needs that go WELL beyond "basic" — it's a stage performance and studio production machine, but most everything beyond that, it would suffice. Heck, I could probably make do with an iPad Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules