Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple TV @ WWDC

Apple TV @ WWDC
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 06:27 PM

If this is true it will be very disappointing ....

Apple won’t be announcing its much-anticipated subscription TV service next week at its Worldwide Developer Conference, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.

The Cupertino technology company has told network executives the planned unveiling will be postponed because Apple has yet to finalize the licensing deals. Industry executives predict Apple’s Web TV offering may not launch until later this year, or in 2016. Technology and money issues remain sticking points.

Apple wanted to launch a subscription TV service in early fall to coincide with the start of the new broadcast television season. But the debut got bogged down by negotiations over financial terms and new technology that would be required for broadcasters to deliver local programming to Apple’s Web TV service.

The company wants to provide customers in cities around the U.S. with programming from their local broadcast stations. That would distinguish Apple’s planned offering from those already available from Sony and Dish’s Sling, which to date have only offered local programming in a handful of cities, or none at all.

Broadcasters don’t own all the local TV stations that air network programming, and clearing the rights to show local programs and commercials is a time-consuming process.
Apple Subscription TV Service Won’t Be Announced Next Week | Re/code

Personally, I couldn't care less about local programming ... be it TV or radio. I consume local news via the internet already and have done so for years. I'd hate to see an Apple TV subscription service get delayed over this. I get it that other people may not feel the same way but if they have to start with network and cable programming and then add local programming later then do it like that. I'm sick of paying for hundreds of cable channels just to see the handful I actually watch.

That being said, even if they do delay the subscription service hopefully new Apple TV hardware is still coming with a proper App Store.

OAW

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 07:57 PM

I'm prepared to continue my yearly tradition of being disappointed by this rumor.

Even when it finally arrives, there will be let downs.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 08:58 PM

Yeah. While I never bought into the whole television set thing (why on earth would Apple do that? ... I was pretty excited about a subscription service. I'm already preparing myself mentally for the letdown.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jun 3, 2015 at 02:47 PM. )

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 3, 2015, 07:27 AM

I think its coming at some point (and isn't a fearless prediction), but have never genuinely thought that it was going to be at WWDC.

This is the walk back phase.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm prepared to continue my yearly tradition of being disappointed by this rumor.

Even when it finally arrives, there will be let downs.
This about a cable service not the physical TV that's been rumored for years (and rumored to have finally been shelved).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2015, 09:55 AM

I read somewhere that the inclusion of HomeKit will make the new AppleTV essential for home automation. That's about all I know about this thing.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 3, 2015, 10:38 AM

Its essential if you want to control devices outside the home.

Apple support document confirms Apple TV at core of HomeKit network | MacNN

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 10:43 AM

It couldn't be worse than WeMo

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2015, 05:02 PM

This may be going from bad to worse.

According to The New York Times, Apple has decided to pull its planned WWDC new Apple TV hardware announcement. Apple planned to debut the new box at the June 8th kickoff keynote before making the decision to scrap the hardware and SDK introduction in mid-May, according to the report:
The company planned as recently as mid-May to use the event to spotlight new Apple TV hardware, along with an improved remote control and a tool kit for developers to make apps for the entertainment device. But those plans were postponed partly because the product was not ready for prime time, according to two people briefed on the product.
We’ve reported that Apple has been planning a redesigned Apple TV box with app functionality, Siri voice search, and a new remote control for sometime, but it appears those won’t be showcased until later. Nor will Apple debut the SDK at this event. Perhaps the new hardware will be ready for display by the fall, when the TV subscription service is expected to be unveiled…

Earlier this week, reports surfaced claiming that Apple would also not introduce its subscription-based TV service at WWDC due to stalled talks with content providers. Besides the new Apple TV news, the NYT reiterates our reports that iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 will focus on quality and stability improvements, while also reiterating that the new Apple Music service will be showcased at the event.
NYT: Apple pulls planned Apple TV hardware revamp from WWDC | 9to5Mac

Not ready for primetime? As long as Apple has been dicking around with this? Seriously?

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 06:17 PM

Since this year?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 3, 2015, 06:17 PM

Not going from bad to worse. There is literally NO NEED for a new Apple TV right now, and I'm not sure that Apple ever really intended one for WWDC. This is rumor stage 3 - walk back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 06:21 PM

They want to release the hardware with their cordless cable alternative in one big bang. Seems simple to understand. Hammering out contracts with tv channels companies must be suicide inducing.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2015, 10:32 AM

I just want a tour of Apple's R&D and see all of the items that "could have been".

It would be the modern day Willy Wonka's chocolate factory tour for me.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 4, 2015, 10:36 AM

Let's see... no TV, HomeKit isn't ready, 15" Macbook was just updated, iMac was just updated, so that leaves just iOS 9 and OS 10.11.

(Apple: Leave the OS font alone, we don't need our phones looking like Androids.)

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 4, 2015, 11:23 AM

HomeKit's ready. Accessories are shipping, and Apple's published a support document for it.

Apple support document confirms Apple TV at core of HomeKit network | MacNN

Ham Sandwich
Jun 4, 2015, 12:38 PM

Alright well I hadn't seen that but I was still thinking back to this article:

Software problems force Apple to delay HomeKit launch - report

Gearhead40
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2015, 01:12 PM

I think they want to get it right the first time because Apple TV isn't going to be about just tv. It's going to be the central hub for the "smart home" so they want as many people on board from the get go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules