Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > D2OL is rockin

D2OL is rockin (Page 2)
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 11:52 PM

We need more power! DPC is still outproducing us on a weekly basis. They slow it down on the weekends, and then pick it up during the week.

The top 4 teams for today are as follows:

1 Dutch Power Cows 1,869
2 Team MacNN 1,684
3 Team AnandTech 1,634
4 hardCOREware 1,488

Team AnandTech, who we passed a little while back has cranked it up a couple of notches and looks to be trying to pass our daily production. Also hardCOREware who is still ahead of us in overall standings, has turned it up to try to catch our daily production. Guess they don't like trailing a Mac team. Looks like we should take the number 7 overall spot in about 8 days.

On the bright side, I made #10 overall in individual production, and should take the #9 spot tomorrow. That is for the entire project, not just our team. Of course mikkyo is charging up from behind, so there is no chance I will ever make #1. He will pass me long before I get there. Looks like I might be able to take and hold the #6 or 7 overall spot though for a little while.

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
We need more power! DPC is still outproducing us on a weekly basis. They slow it down on the weekends, and then pick it up during the week.
We were actually the top weekly team yesterday.
But it adds a day and takes away a day each day, so it is a constantly evolving data point.
I had some machines down yesterday too.
For some reason the client will lock up and not launch the dock or grid app every now and then. I then have to manually quit it and start it back up and it is fine.

BTW the java tweak from Ubero makes no noticeable difference other than to use up more of your RAM and slow the machine if doing other things.

I've managed to make a completely hidden version too.
If you comment out the jvm.params line in the launch.xen file and set the NSUIElement key in the Info.plist to the one that makes it not show in the dock for your OS version(1 on 10.1.x, 0 on 10.2.x), and then run via the command line with the controller:file method in the background, there is nothing in the Dock and no app visible (cept in Terminal). However, this makes stopping and starting difficult as you have to edit a file. I'm working on a little controller app to toggle it off and on, but spare time is minimal right now.

It will be nice when the Seti race is over if some of those folks would switch to D2OL. Ought to have a recruiting message on MacNN too.

Something like:
D2OL distributed computing client fights Bioterrorism with your extra CPU cycles. Java controlled client runs under OS X and uses vector math. Can be run in background or with graphics showing molecule and target atom display, atom names, and controllable 3D animation. Visit http://www.d2ol.com/ for details/download. Join Team MacNN and do your part to help fight bioterrorism using this cool program!

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 06:27 PM

Code:
Today Rank Name Cands Confs 1 Team MacNN 1,281 25,620 2 Dutch Power Cows 1,227 24,540 3 Team AnandTech 1,026 20,520 4 hardCOREware 953 19,060 5 Team USA 652 13,040

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2002, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by mikkyo:

It will be nice when the Seti race is over if some of those folks would switch to D2OL. Ought to have a recruiting message on MacNN too.

Something like:
D2OL distributed computing client fights Bioterrorism with your extra CPU cycles. Java controlled client runs under OS X and uses vector math. Can be run in background or with graphics showing molecule and target atom display, atom names, and controllable 3D animation. Visit http://www.d2ol.com/ for details/download. Join Team MacNN and do your part to help fight bioterrorism using this cool program!

When the SETI race is over I'm off to DF and f@h.

As for recruiting, that doesn't happen until we have content pages made up so that people know what to do. Now if you are volunteering ...

I am still a bit suspicious about this project.
I'm running just to play with it (I don't like it so far), and doing a bit of research.
Also, if they want me, they'd better make their website work with Omniweb.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:

I am still a bit suspicious about this project.
I'm running just to play with it (I don't like it so far), and doing a bit of research.
Also, if they want me, they'd better make their website work with Omniweb.
I agree. Try to find some sort of coporate sponsership or what company is running the project. The info is there but really hard to find. Almost seems deliberate to hide the info. Me thinks there is something else going on behind the scenes.

Yes, the website does not like OmniWeb.

I've since dropped working on the project and await RC5.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2002, 02:52 AM

yeah looks like just about everyone has dropped this project. Oh well. I also await RC5, and I have diverted back to OGR while I wait. Maybe i'll through a few seti units in there to kill time.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
yeah looks like just about everyone has dropped this project. Oh well. I also await RC5, and I have diverted back to OGR while I wait. Maybe i'll through a few seti units in there to kill time.
Well I haven't and it looks as though mikkyo is still going strong. However Team Anandtech has blown past everyone including DPC and Tech IMO has also cranked it up. We're still a solid #4 in daily and weekly production and #8 overall, but those 2 teams have definintely raised the ante.

Forum Links
Forum Rules