Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Milk updated!

[ANN] Milk updated!
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 10, 2004, 10:53 AM

A new version of Milk is available, these are the changes:

Milk 2.5
- Added a baby blue selection color. This was well needed for usability and contrast and made it easier to make certain buttons such as the toggle state of some of the buttons in iCal and iTunes.
- Added appSkins for QuickTime, VLC, iCal, Calculator, TextEdit and Installer.
- Updated appSkins for iChat, Address Book, Safari, iTunes and Help Viewer.
- Themed Font Panel.
- Improved contrast of indeterminate progressbars and scrollbars.
- Bundled the desktop pictures and icon set in the guiKit.
- Added two new desktop pictures; 'Solid Baby Blue' and 'Baby Blue Milk Splash'.
- Added improved iSync menu extra.
- Customized list alternating rows color.
- Hopefully solved the bug with text not appearing.
- Mini buttons (mostly used in Safari) now have the text vertically centered.
- Changed the inactive state for scrollbars.
- Removed the inactive state from segments buttons which means that the save dialog's back/forward buttons will look better.
- Changed the Metal window bevels to use transparency, this means the iChat invitation windows look better.
- Changed the Chocolate menus to be a bit darker.

Download

Should also be available from the download tab soon.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 10:56 AM

How did the driving test go?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 10, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Randman:

How did the driving test go?
I failed. And now there aren't any new times available until January the 11th..

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 11:03 AM

Great work Max!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 11:05 AM

Instead of rubbing it in, you should have done a search for "Driving test" and found it at the bottom here

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 11:10 AM

Wasn't rubbing it in. Just asking.

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 11:28 AM

Nice ! Thanks for the update!

SuperNova

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 12:00 PM

thanks so much for the update. still one of my favorite themes max.

bummer about the driving test... too bad you arent here in america, they practically shove it in our faces.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 12:10 PM

yum

bwahahax
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I failed. And now there aren't any new times available until January the 11th..
That's okay. I failed 3 times . . . I always liked public transit better anyways.

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
- Changed the Metal window bevels to use transparency, this means the iChat invitation windows look better.
Aha! So that's how it's done!

Thanks Max, you the Don!

|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 12:30 PM

I have so far failed two driving tests and will one day get round to failing a third. Until then I am enjoying the financial freedom of not having a car/petrol/insurance/tax/maintenance to pay for. All my mates that have cars are skint!

Anyway, glad you are back themeing, Max. We have missed you. I have only recently left the realm of dark themes and have discovered the joy that is Milk. I have been waiting eagerly for this update and it does not disappoint. The new variation is truly beautiful - you da man.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

silencedge
Dec 10, 2004, 12:46 PM

Long-awaited update finally!

Great work Max.

skellington
Dec 10, 2004, 12:58 PM

very pretty theme design.
thanx,max!!
kenichi yoshida
www.kenichiyoshida.jp

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 01:15 PM

What's the driving test like in Sweeden?

In the US it's a joke, my "driving test" consisted of low speed cruise around a parking lot and an "emergency stop" from 15 MPH, a three point turn and parking... Oooh! The whole thing took less than ten minutes.

I hear that in Europe the tests are much more rigorous and actually involve real driving.

Anyway, I dig the baby blue Milk.

AuGie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 01:33 PM

Great job but i have a little bug. I use Silk and shapeshifter. When i use Milk and handel Gothic Light, The police in adium message is not good, Handel Gothic Light no function . With the other theme, it's good, i don't understand

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 01:34 PM

Nice update. I'm keeping 2.2 though for the fully grayscale look. I'm surprised that doesn't change in the Appearance prefpane for the graphite color.
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Dec 10, 2004 at 01:40 PM. )
click one

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
What's the driving test like in Sweden?...
...I hear that in Europe the tests are much more rigorous and actually involve real driving.
In the UK at least it's a real pain in the a$$. They are trying to get fewer people on the road, so they make the tests harder and harder. First you need to complete a theory test, passing 30 out of 35 questions before you can even apply for the practical. The practical then takes about 40 minutes of driving around a horrible busy little town with massive complex intersections and lots of opportunities for hill starts. If you drive more than 2mph either way of the speed limit (basically you have to nail it) or don't check your mirrors like every 2 seconds they fail you. It's a joke.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

eep
Dec 10, 2004, 03:52 PM

How do I download a .guikit file? Firefox doesn't like them.

Nevermind I found it in the shapeshifter pane.
( Last edited by eep; Dec 10, 2004 at 04:00 PM. )

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Dec 10, 2004, 03:53 PM

What's the driving test like in Sweeden?

In the US it's a joke, my "driving test" consisted of low speed cruise around a parking lot and an "emergency stop" from 15 MPH, a three point turn and parking... Oooh! The whole thing took less than ten minutes.

I hear that in Europe the tests are much more rigorous and actually involve real driving.

Anyway, I dig the baby blue Milk.
It's pretty hard. There are actually 3 parts. First there's the theory test which consists of 65 questions and you must have at least 52 correct. I passed that the first time with 60 points. The second part is a skid course where you get to drive between cones and feel how the car handles on slippery surfaces. That's not hard to pass though. But the driving test is pretty though. I drove for 45 minutes and we drove into Stockholm and around some busy streets and it was at the middle of the day so there was a lot of cars and people. What I flunked on was when I drove into the city, I had just switched lanes and I didn't really noticed that there was a car standing on the side lane with the warning blinkers on, and I didn't react soon enough so the inspector hit the brakes for me. Then there was also a situation in the city where I didn't stop to let a man cross the street. I think the reason for those mistakes was that I was so damn nervous.. I really hope I get it right the next time.

And thanks for feedback, I'm glad the theme is appreciated

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 04:02 PM

I've been waiting for this update and the wait was WELL worth it. This looks fantastic on my lampshade iMac. Thank you...

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the update. I hope your forum contributors update the popular Metal Milk (stroked) mod. That is always my very favorite.

I am sorry to hear about the driving situation. I'm now 20 years old in the US, and I have failed two driving tests to obtain a license. I know it can be tough, that's for certain (even if we can be good at many other things, etc)!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 04:24 PM

nice update max.
gracias.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 04:46 PM

not to jack the thread but in Pennsylvania that 10 minute test is done on a closed course... WTF?!?!?!??!
no wonder everyone here drives like sh**... funny I don't remember cell phone usage proficency coming up in the practical part of the course. K-turn, park, check messages, serpentine, text message three people, check messages, stop...

hmmmm

I was just in Belgium and although they drive insanely fast - everyone "seemed" to have control of their cars. One drunken step into the street and everyone stopped. Amazing.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 05:10 PM

for bad driving, try las vegas diuring and after a rainstorm. seeing that everyone here presumably moved from a state that has variable weather like rain and snow, its amazing how quickly people forget how to drive in such circumstances. it doesn't help either that the hard desert ground helps turn some major surface streets into rivers.

and back to the subject at hand, is there any chance a version of this update without the blue highlights might be available? for me the blue takes away from the subtlety of the overall theme. its still a top 3 theme for me though.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 05:15 PM

Great update! Awesome enough to make me switch from Somatic for the first time since SS2's release.

Sorry to hear about the driving test. Best of luck next time around. Listen to Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity" before you head out to do it. I guarantee you'll feel less nervous. It works for school tests and hockey games, so it'll probably work for driving tests too.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Great update! Awesome enough to make me switch from Somatic for the first time since SS2's release.

Sorry to hear about the driving test. Best of luck next time around. Listen to Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity" before you head out to do it. I guarantee you'll feel less nervous. It works for school tests and hockey games, so it'll probably work for driving tests too.
Youve been using Somatic all of this time?!? My GOD!!! CAN YOU SEE?!?!?

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

deej5871
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 07:14 PM

Wow. The states with these "10 minute" driving tests suck at life. Here in Ohio, I'm working on getting my license right now, and I had to pass the written test, and the when I have to drive with the instructor I'll definitely be driving on real roads. I might have to possibly drive on the ExpressWay, depending on which driving school I go to. I get nervous just thinking about it.[/offtopic]

mac15
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 08:06 PM

Just when you think this theme could not get any better... it does! Amazing job Max!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 09:24 PM

great stuff!

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 11:51 PM

Great job as always, Max. (And nobody pays more attention to detail like you do... I didn't even know many of the "fixes" on your list were issues!)

Only gripe is that while I love the new baby blue color, it makes the chocolate variant look a little weird.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 02:02 AM

I need to chime in here too.
Thanks for the Milk update MAX!

Your themes are very appreciated.

Good luck with the re-test.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by eyevaan:
I was just in Belgium and although they drive insanely fast - everyone "seemed" to have control of their cars. One drunken step into the street and everyone stopped. Amazing.
Please, whenever you come back, safely stick to your "seemed" assumption.
Oh, and give me a yell, so we'd meet

davidmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 07:54 AM

Quote; (sorry, that quote button wont work for me)
--Originally posted by SwarmyCurve--
"Thanks for the update. I hope your forum contributors update the popular Metal Milk (stroked) mod. That is always my very favorite."
---------------------------------

I'm glad you like my mod. Dont worry i'm hard at work modding the new version of milk with a few extra additions.

Stay tuned!

davidmac

P.S do those instant vB buttons work for anyone in safari v129.5 ?

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2004, 02:01 PM

GREAT update. Actually made me switch from Aluminum Alloy, which I've been running since, oh, forever.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Nice update. I'm keeping 2.2 though for the fully grayscale look. I'm surprised that doesn't change in the Appearance prefpane for the graphite color.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Although I think the blue is an improvement, having the gray as an option would still be nice.

Edit: One more thing you could add would be milk gradient style iChat bubbles, though thats asking a little much.
( Last edited by Caesar2099; Dec 11, 2004 at 09:01 PM. )

Covise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2007, 03:12 AM

Why i cant download?

glypht
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2007, 05:55 AM

Because the last post in this thread was from 2004?

Google is your friend…

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 07:27 AM

Check Max (the OP)'s profile and you get a link to his website.

Forum Links
Forum Rules