Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Home Theater Advice

Home Theater Advice (Page 5)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2022, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
(Glenn’s photo)

Glad to know I'm not the only one clinging on to an HD DVD player, even though I have like ten of them.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2022, 03:38 PM

There’s some nostalgia. When the Lounge of a Mac help site had the most in-depth discussion of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray on the net.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
"Rando Face Funk" is a fantastic band name.
I think it could even be its own genre.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 9, 2022, 03:43 PM

Man, the HD vs. Blu-Ray thread back in the day was epic.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=318481

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2022, 04:00 PM

Seeing Eug again, it’s time to address unanswered questions.

Eug and Eug Wanker are the same person?

Why “Wanker”?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2022, 08:22 AM

Wonder what happened to that guy.

Blu-Ray has come and essentially gone since then. And now we’re stuck in the data-transfer conundrum: how to deliver new 4K/8K content via streaming. This beat goes on….
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2022, 11:35 AM

My Blu-ray player is basically the Denis Villeneuve box.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 10, 2022, 11:54 AM

I still have a Blu-Ray player on the main TV upstairs. The last time we tried to use it we checked out a movie from the library. About 20 minutes in the movie started freezing and skipping. No amount of rubbing the disc on my t-shirt solved the problem. But the movie was already on Netflix so I just played it there...

Probably a sign that I should just delete the Blu-Ray player and clean up the wall-mount install. If you want to watch a disc you can go downstairs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2022, 12:01 PM

‘Member how on VHS rentals if a scene had boobs, that part of the tape would be stretched from previous renters pausing it?

Or, even more old school, movies in the theater skipping during boob shots because the projectionist would nick a frame. Saw that happen as “recently” as Interview with a Vampire.

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2022, 12:41 PM

We use our bluray player quite a bit, even to play non-blurays. Both from our collection and the library. We have special spray for cleaning off grubby fingerprints, but very little will help the disc someone dropped on the gravel and danced the watusi on. The library has a polisher that can get some of them but at a certain point f*** it.

Happened to us with Aliens. The original was only paid streaming at the time, we didn't want to pirate, but the library DVD was very beat up. We ended up finding alternate methods and felt good about at least trying to behave.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2022, 12:48 PM

I just told a friend who wants to own a particular episode of The Twilight Zone that he should buy a copy of the VHS, throw that away, and then torrent a rip.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2022, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one clinging on to an HD DVD player, even though I have like ten of them.
I have a very few films on “every” medium they are/were available on, including HD DVD. 2001, Blade Runner (Special Edition), Forbidden Planet, and Serenity are all of ‘em.

However, most of the time we can use the HD DVD player to play audio CDs through the stereo amp. The CD laser on this player is kinda iffy though, and the player will choke on some discs that are absolutely solid on almost any other player.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I just told a friend who wants to own a particular episode of The Twilight Zone that he should buy a copy of the VHS, throw that away, and then torrent a rip.
This is not terrible advice. It’s probably not entirely kosher, but “I AM NOT A LAWYER”, and I actually don’t care about whether it could pass a legal test.

I still have a 60GB iPod, the kind with a tiny physical hard drive. It has about 85% of my iTunes library (including rips) on it. The only reason it’s not 100% is that I haven’t updated it in a long time - I have to reorganize my library, catch up and add stuff, and so on, before I do that. And I think it still has some movie trailers and such from a long time ago that probably don’t need to be there, so I also need to do some housekeeping on it.

So anyway, if having a bunch of audio digitally stored on an iPod is not copyright infringement, and since you CAN save videos on iPods (even my ancient beast), I think it would take some extremely weasely wording to even begin to suggest that someone who actually paid for a legit copy of a work was out of order when they created a digital copy of it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules