Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Omniweb with Dropbox to sync bookmarks

Using Omniweb with Dropbox to sync bookmarks
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 01:47 PM

Hey, I did a search for this and I wasn't able to come up with any other solutions here or on the web.

My ultimate goal is to use the bookmark syncing feature on Omniweb 5. I don't have a .Mac account and I don't know how to set up a weDAV server (although I do have server space that I serve my website from).

I love using Dropbox, and I came up with an idea for using it to sync the bookmark file/folder: by relocating the bookmark folder to my Dropbox, I theoretically should be able to sync my bookmarks with any computer that I also have Dropbox installed on.

The problem is that there is no option to relocate the location of the bookmark file/folder in the Omniweb preferences. I was going to use TextWrangler and look through preference files for any strings that reference the bookmark file, but that can take a while, no? Does anyone have an idea for an easier solution?

p.s. I tried to use the "public link" feature of Dropbox: it doesn't work because you can't link to a folder and the whole folder is needed.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2010, 02:52 PM

The Dropbox sync any folder feature will let you add the Omniweb bookmarks folder to your Dropbox account... devs have said it's coming soon. But if you use Dropbox to sync the bookmarks folder you're not using/relying on Omniweb's syncing at all.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The Dropbox sync any folder feature will let you add the Omniweb bookmarks folder to your Dropbox account... devs have said it's coming soon. But if you use Dropbox to sync the bookmarks folder you're not using/relying on Omniweb's syncing at all.
Oh yeah, huh? Ha ha, I didn't realize that. So technically Dropbox could be used to sync bookmarks between any browser. I love that program! I also love Omniweb, which is why I guess I want to make full use of it's features.

My website

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2010, 01:52 AM

You could for most browsers, but there are better syncing mechanisms (namely Xmarks) for the major browsers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2010, 09:53 AM

You could for most browsers, but there are better syncing mechanisms (namely Xmarks) for the major browsers.
Seconded.

However, I don't know if Xmarks works with Omniweb.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2010, 04:03 PM

It doesn't, but Omniweb isn't a major browser.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

It doesn't, but Omniweb isn't a major browser.
True. Except that this thread is about enabling sync on Omniweb .

Still, Xmarks looks like a cool app, I'm glad it was shared.

My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules