Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Tablet Wars thread?

No Tablet Wars thread?
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 12:32 AM

I think Microsoft has thrown down the gauntlet:

Windows 8: Less talking, more doing - YouTube

Chopsticks, anyone?

I think we can all snort at the price comparison, given the lousy specs of the VivoTab screen. But advertisements aren't about specs. And Microsoft has re-ignited the "Apple products are overpriced" meme with a vengeance.

I'm very curious about the overall direction of the tablet market. Lots of strange and interesting form-factors are being introduced, and lots of tablets are finding unusual ways of integrating a real keyboard and stand into the design. Tablets with fold-up covers are floppy and would never work in your lap (Apple's Smart Cover, VivoTab's Transverse cover), tablets with kickstands barely work in your lap (Microsoft's Surface), and keyboard covers with a slot to hold up your tablet (like the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover) can't fold back behind the tablet. And then there's the fixed-angle problem for all three designs.

I think Microsoft's Surface keyboard covers have the best overall design because they don't require a separate battery, can fold over the front and the back, and are really thin. (Too bad about the crappy trackpad). But because of the kickstand, you can't use this comfortably in your lap.

I hope Apple is working on this problem. A well-integrated keyboard cover with an adjustable viewing angle that can also fold back behind the tablet unobtrusively is really a worthwhile goal.

The Acer Iconia almost has these problems licked:

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 12:49 AM

Well, this is really disingenuous:

Windows vs. iPad: Compare tablets - Microsoft Windows

If you scroll down, you'll see Microsoft say "iCloud on the iPad gives you less free cloud storage than SkyDrive on the VivoTab Smart."

But this is a lie, because the iPad can access BOTH iCloud and SkyDrive. What a strange comparison to make.

And only Microsoft would be so mendacious to compare these lower density, lower resolution screens to the iPad.

BTW, I had no idea that there were iOS versions of OneNote and SkyDrive before now. Thanks Microsoft, these anti-Apple ads have really improved my iOS experience!

OreoCookie
May 23, 2013, 01:48 AM

Also, you will note that they use different iPads for the different tablets, they compare the 64 GB iPad to a tablet with 64 GB storage -- even though Windows 8 with 64 GB storage have significantly less free space than a 32 GB iPad. While it is not quite as bad as for the RT version, Windows RT is still much less efficient in that regard.

In any case, what's interesting is that Microsoft has a sort of reverse Mac-vs.-PC ad going now
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2013, 11:58 AM

From the thread title, I was hoping for a video of a tablet war. Throwing tablets around will get expensive quick, since they haven't released unbreakable screens yet. Even a short video could toast $50K.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 06:27 PM

Looks like Microsoft is having problems with their math. Their web page says the screen on the ASUS VivoTab Smart is 36% larger than the iPad screen, but it's actually 3% smaller.

curi: Lying Microsoft Advertising

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2013, 02:57 AM

I think Gruber made a good point when he said that it feels like Microsoft is aiming for second place.

Yep, it's a reversal of roles from the Mac-PC "wars". Let MS and Android duke it out; this doesn't really concern Apple at the moment.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 09:15 AM

A number of new Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT tablets come with a docking keyboard, which converts the tablet into a laptop with a real hinge for tilting the display.

That's what my Asus Transformer has, and it beats the pants off any of the other tablet + keyboard options out there.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
A number of new Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT tablets come with a docking keyboard, which converts the tablet into a laptop with a real hinge for tilting the display.
If I have to carry around a device as heavy as an ultra book, I might was well get an ultra book, since the tablet+dock is gonna be less capable in terms of overall software and performance, if we're talking about RT tablets here.

This is why I think the Surface Pro is the better design, since it's laptop power in a tablet design, while so many convertibles are tablet power in a laptop design. Too bad it's still too heavy.

That's what my Asus Transformer has, and it beats the pants off any of the other tablet + keyboard options out there.
Powerful machine, but my problem with this design is the dock is at least as heavy as the tablet, and it doesn't swing behind the tablet, and even the undocked tablet is still really heavy.

EDIT: can you tell which Transformer you have? There seem to be a lot of models.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; May 24, 2013 at 06:26 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2013, 09:52 PM

Does anyone else think Apple should try a "you get what you pay for" kind of ad? Or would that be admitting that their products are more expensive? Would that matter since everyone knows that anyway?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2013, 03:57 AM

Price is not their topic. Why make the only talking point the others have your own?

Apple has returned to success by selling what they are, not what they aren't. "We're not cheap crap" is a denial message, not a positive affirmation of quality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules