Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone malware? keylogger?

iphone malware? keylogger?
tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2013, 05:11 PM

iPhone 5, bought first day they were out in fall 2012, 64gig, Verizon.
I went to a cellphone-repair shop to get the sleep button fixed. When I got it back the device seems unstable. It had 7.0.3 on it before and after I took it in. When i got it back a few hours ago it kept pausing (for a second or so) during keyboard entry in the lock screen, in system preferences, and in password entry for find-my-friends (I had changed my icloud password when I brought the phone in) and a bank-app log-in. it didn't seem to pause in messages. It did pause when I was moving some icons around and swiping between home-screens.
I let it update to 7.0.4 -- it completed the upgrade. Since then the phone has crashed (odd waterfall-looking graphics on the screen for a second) and rebooted a couple of times. This is over a few hours.

Is it possible to load a malware on the iphone?

Does this sound like an issue anybody has seen before?

I intend to go home tonight and wipe the phone + restore from itunes backup. Is this a good plan?

Thanks for any advice.
Tadd

P
Nov 21, 2013, 06:01 PM

Sounds like whoever repaired it made some mistake. Take it back and explain what happens.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Kensington
Nov 22, 2013, 02:48 PM

hahahaha...I've noticed this crap happening with my Android phone....I've just accepted that it's probably just the NSA!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
hahahaha...I've noticed this crap happening with my Android phone....I've just accepted that it's probably just the NSA!!
This is an iPhone.

There is no way any system-level malware could be installed on it unless it was jailbroken (or, of course, it was built into the system by Apple, to address what I hope was at least a half-joke).

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 05:33 PM

Wipe and restore is a good idea, especially if you can brook not backing it up first.

DrSmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2013, 08:56 PM

Firstly, the power buttons on iPhones ARE NOT repairable along with any 4/4S screens. Any repairer claiming to do so will not be an official Apple Repairer and WILL void your AppleCare Warranty. It's no fun rocking up to an Apple Genius Bar to be denied service on this basis.

Take your phone to your nearest Apple Store Genius bar (make an appointment on your Apple Store App (walking in and demanding to be seen is a short order way to instructed by store staff on how to make a Genius Bar appointment!). They will replace your phone, so make sure it is backed up before your appointment. This the ONLY official way to fix a power button issue.

Do this and Apple can support your warranty with no problems.

With regard to freezing apps and unresponsiveness - quit all but one of your IM apps. Phones have limited memory and it's just ridiculous having several IM's running at once. Get them out of your notifications too or they will auto start with the phone.

Try Apple - Batteries for more information on optimizing your phones behavior. Also if near an Apple store attend an couple of free workshops if possible.

I've learnt heaps about my phone and the way its working just from these workshops alone. Highly recommended.

As it is right now I can say your unofficial repair is causing the issues you are experiencing. It's not the RSA or other conspiracy theory. It's a simple hardware repair that is unofficial and is now causing system wide graphic issues.

I can't stress enough that if a so called repairer isn't displaying a prominent black and white "Authorized Apple Repairer" in it's window - you are dashing your warranty and paying for non apple parts and unofficial "fixes".

Always take your devices to Apple, or use their AppleCare mail in service if there isn't a store near you. It's all free, it's all official and logged and Apple can take care of you and your phone.

It only takes and App, a bit of time to use it and book a GB appointment - total cost $0 vs $$'s you gave that cowboy who hasn't fixed your issue - in fact now it's worse.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 09:21 PM

His phone is out of warranty.

Also, multitasking and Notifications on iOS don't work the way you think they do.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
His phone is out of warranty.

Also, multitasking and Notifications on iOS don't work the way you think they do.
Fall 2012 to Now should mean he is still in warranty (isn't it 12 months in the US).
Apple would be very likely to have looked after him out of warranty anyway.

Of course, you're right about multitasking and notifications.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2013, 04:08 AM

Apple warranty is one year, worldwide, including Europe. It can be extended to two years for iOS devices by purchasing AppleCare, but if he had that, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because Apple would have already overnighted a replacement phone to his doorstep.

There IS a two-year warranty in Europe, but except for a very few countries, that applies only to defects that can be PROVEN to have existed at time of purchase (so in this case, faulty design or material defect from the outset).

I agree that this shortly out of warranty, Apple would have probably opted to help him for free or a nominal fee if he'd asked nicely.

P
Nov 24, 2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There IS a two-year warranty in Europe, but except for a very few countries, that applies only to defects that can be PROVEN to have existed at time of purchase (so in this case, faulty design or material defect from the outset).
It's worth pointing out that this legal warranty (right to reject) applies to the seller, not necessarily to the manufacturer (although again, exceptions exist). This means that you'd have to go to whatever company you bought it from to exercise that right - you can't go to Apple if you bought it somewhere else.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules