Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple announcing plans for $100B on Monday

Apple announcing plans for $100B on Monday (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How do you remember such things?
Let me google that for you

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't think Microsoft has added anything to Word since ca. 1992 that is of even the *slightest* relevance to anybody
This was what I was getting at. There remains many people who think they need Office to get through the day but the percentage of them who use anything like advanced or new features on Word or Excel is tiny. The vast majority of them could get by easily with Notepad, its just that they learned on Word in school and they are used to it.

Even Outlook hasn't added any essential or killer features since 2003 or before.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2012, 08:48 PM

Engineers like to find uses to all functions available in Excel, and when they dom't find something they need, they program a macro.

How's iWork going to enter this market? With prettier calligraphy?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2012, 09:06 PM

Back on topic:

Rather than giving a dividend to a bunch of undeserving shareholders, Apple should have bought a California proffessional soccer team for cheap and absorb all 22 good players in the country, then play against the other 22 US players, and be on top of the [US] world forever.
Then they would sell specially etched sport edition iPads to the whole 44 soccer fans in the 52 states.

There's an insidious insider aspect of Monday's financial announcement: the buyback. Are Apple managers pumping their stock, through dividend and buyback, to then dump it, running away with their fortunes in triplicate?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2012, 09:53 PM

They could probably buy Glasgow Rangers for about $10 right now and move them to the states.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How do you remember such things?
For one, I was there at the time, and for another memory is easily verified by wikipedia.

I don't think any Mac user in the 90s who'd been working with Word 5.1 and ignored the total boneheaded catastrophe of Word 6 does NOT remember the hideous, but unavoidable, mess that was Office 98.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Mar 24, 2012 at 05:29 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2012, 09:00 AM

I used to love Clarisworks 4. The documents I used to print out from that were beautiful compared to the hideous crap churned out by my classmates on Word. I never worked out at the time if it was a font thing or something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules