Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > This certificate was signed by an untrusted issuer

This certificate was signed by an untrusted issuer
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2009, 08:33 PM

In the iphone configuration utility in the 'Certificate' section, I see the message "This certificate was signed by an untrusted issuer".

What does this mean? How can I get a trusted issuer?

I am using iphone config utility 2.0.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 02:43 AM

Install profiles with CA Certificates to simplify enterprise Wi-Fi connection process

Has the company you are working for had their certificate(s) expired perhaps?

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2009, 10:35 PM

I don't use my iphone for work. I just downloaded the config utility one day to see what it was about. Does this certificate matter?
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2009, 03:26 AM

You can just ignore the certificate part if you are not using your iPhone in an enterprise system as such.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2009, 08:17 AM

"Trusting" an issuer is not something that some external entity does. YOU choose to trust or not to trust the issuer by looking at the certificate and evaluating how well you "trust" the issuer to not try to hose up your phone. If you recognize the issuer (the "identity" in the certificate), you'll most likely also know if you think they're up to no good or not, and you can choose to trust them and install their certificate.

But as Andy8 says, unless you need certificates in an enterprise environment, you can pretty much ignore them. I'd look at any certificate I get prompted on, but it shouldn't be really crucial.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2009, 09:47 AM

I run into this all the time at work and it really annoys me. My company sees a need for PKI certificates but they don't see a need to maintain current copies. Now everytime I go to our Intranet I get messages recommending me to not go to the website because the certificates are outdates/expired. An old certificate, to me, is like a thug in a cop uniform...looks ok but don't trust it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules