Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems with GIF's and certain sites

Problems with GIF's and certain sites
iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2000, 05:15 PM

IE 5.0, at least for me, seems to hang on each and every GIF file there is. Most Mac forum sites (AppleInsider, MacFixIt, and this one) take forever to load, and the status bar notes it's loading a GIF.

I'm having problems with a lot of sites I regularly visit too. I can't get any RealPlayer files to run correctly on CNN, but Spinner.com and Real.com work fine. In fact, plug-in support seems sporatic at best on most sites, working today but crashing the browser tomorrow. There are too many JavaScript problems to list here and I keep getting a memory exception running large Java apps like Yahoo! Chat and Excite Games... that is after the damned GIF banners finally load.

Wells Fargo Online works, but a simple javascript timer on Nasa's Shuttle page doesn't. I've had none of these problems with Netscape 4.7 and I'm leaning towards going back to it. Netscape may have it's problems too, and less bells and whistles, but at least sites load and work the way they're supposed to.

A friend said to me "Congradulations, by downloading any x.0 version you're now an official Microsoft Beta Tester!" Maybe I should have waited until 5.01 before filling my System Folder with MS junk.

------------------
I work, I play, iMac!
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules