Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > JDM Cars

JDM Cars
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 06:23 AM

Has any one here ever ordered a JDM, if so was it a good buy?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 07:05 PM

wtf?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 07:08 PM

They certainly could have done a better graphic.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 08:12 PM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 08:16 PM

wtf are you idiots posting stupid pictures

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 08:22 PM

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 08:45 PM

Jdm Omg! Omg Jdm! Euro Turn Signals! Omg!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 08:48 PM

del sol

lol.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 08:50 PM

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 08:52 PM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Jdm Omg! Omg Jdm! Euro Turn Signals! Omg!
my god your a real dum ****, thats not the reason im interested in a JDM you thread wreaking asshole. Go get a life

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 10:25 PM

do you really want a RHD car in north america? IIRC it's a lot easier to get something like a skyline on the road in canada than it is here in the states.

i'd never drive a RHD here, there are too many two lane roads and i'd pull my hair out if i had to rely on my gf to pass a truck farting it's way over the rolling hills around here.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
my god your a real dum ****, thats not the reason im interested in a JDM you thread wreaking asshole. Go get a life
Dumb has a B at the end of it. BUT OMG JDM! You do realize it costs about 3 grand to even ship a freakin car from japan right? Quit reading super street.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 10:40 PM

What JDM car? That might make a big difference. You might be better served by going to forums specific to the brand and checking out the threads there.

But IMHO, its not worth it unless you are wanting RHD and want to pay through the nose for bodywork that is slightly different than USDM stuff. For instance, the JDM Integra type-R has a k20 engine that has 20 more hp than the USDM RSX Type-S, plus it has a limited slip differential. For much less than the price of getting that stateside in decent shape, you could have taken the head to a shop for some porting and buy an aftermarket LSD.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
do you really want a RHD car in north america? IIRC it's a lot easier to get something like a skyline on the road in canada than it is here in the states.

i'd never drive a RHD here, there are too many two lane roads and i'd pull my hair out if i had to rely on my gf to pass a truck farting it's way over the rolling hills around here.
A few people in the Vancouver Prelude Club have JDM's, the ones that kept it that way said it only took a couple days to get used to it, one guy did a conversion to LHD. I imagine it wont be to hard to get used to it. A friend is waiting for his Non Turbo skyline (took a year to find one) to get here in Jan, i'll have a chance to find out whats its like to drive on the right side.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower
What JDM car? That might make a big difference. You might be better served by going to forums specific to the brand and checking out the threads there.

But IMHO, its not worth it unless you are wanting RHD and want to pay through the nose for bodywork that is slightly different than USDM stuff. For instance, the JDM Integra type-R has a k20 engine that has 20 more hp than the USDM RSX Type-S, plus it has a limited slip differential. For much less than the price of getting that stateside in decent shape, you could have taken the head to a shop for some porting and buy an aftermarket LSD.
I was orginally looking at getting a car from maybe California or Flordia, some place where rust isnt a problem. All used cars in Canada sufer from some rust and I really like the older late 80's and early 90's cars. After looking at the hassal and costs of getting a US car it ended up being cheaper to get the same kind of car from Japan. For example shipped I can get a second gen fully loaded prelude for about 4000CDN. It was going to cost me about the same to get a USDM 2nd gen prelude from California. The car from Japan had only 100 000km, not even half of the one in California. www.jdmconnection.ca is the best place so far ppl have been telling me about. But with only 3 ppl owning a JDM in VPC i was looking around for other people that might own one to find out more about the results of there car. Overall the JDM cars are in really good shape which is what im looking for.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 12:35 AM

Dumb has a B at the end of it. BUT OMG JDM! You do realize it costs about 3 grand to even ship a freakin car from japan right? Quit reading super street.
dude please delete those oversized pictures.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2005, 01:17 AM

Here's a pretty nice writeup of what it takes to get a vehicle imported into Canada:

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/Import.html

And just for kicks:

http://www.bestjapancar.com/other1112.htm
http://www.bestjapancar.com/other11121.htm

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:59 AM

dude please delete those oversized pictures.
Dude. You drive a mid 80s honda prelude. It is worth less than most notebooks. Quit thinking about importing a car that you can't afford anyway and save your money for something worthwhile.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 03:10 AM

Dude. You drive a mid 80s honda prelude. It is worth less than most notebooks. Quit thinking about importing a car that you can't afford anyway and save your money for something worthwhile.
I doubt its worth less then your notebook, if its brand new I would say about the same. Whats your beef with imports anyways?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 05:18 AM

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 11:52 AM

I doubt its worth less then your notebook, if its brand new I would say about the same. Whats your beef with imports anyways?
Nothing. I own a subaru, my wife drives a honda. I have beef with little kiddies who want anything JDM and are willing to pay out the nose for something that's really not all that cool or different than what we get here. And guess what? People in japan pay more money for american versions of cars. What does that tell you? JDM isn't all that. People just want to be different, and honestly, you're not going to be that different if you're cruising around in a civic or prelude, if it's JDM or american or whatever.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 02:18 PM

Nothing. I own a subaru, my wife drives a honda. I have beef with little kiddies who want anything JDM and are willing to pay out the nose for something that's really not all that cool or different than what we get here. And guess what? People in japan pay more money for american versions of cars. What does that tell you? JDM isn't all that. People just want to be different, and honestly, you're not going to be that different if you're cruising around in a civic or prelude, if it's JDM or american or whatever.
Buddy do you read at all, my interest in a JDM has nothing to do with being different or cool. A lesson about Canada, 90% of the country uses heavy salt on roads because in winter most of the country is a frozen hell hole in Winter. There is a very limited supply of used cars that are decent over 8 years old because of RUST. Because of how expensive and how bad the traffic is in Japan, cars are a luxury and such old cars, the ones I like have lower KM then what you can find in North America. And because its more of a status symbol there they are taking care of. Also the competition is ferris there which means what is optional here is usually standard there. Because old cars have little value in Japan with all the taxes and stuff setup to always make it better to buy new and the fact the cars don't get exposed to salt and rust away, I can get the kind of car I want in great condition with more options for about the same price as a local, rusted, 3 times the KM with less options car here. Now does this make sense?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 02:57 PM

Also the competition is ferris there

Bueller!

But seriously, it makes no sense. It'd be wrong hand drive, which would make passing very dangerous. Shipping is expensive, and guess what? They use salt on the roads here in WI, and somehow I'm still able to find used cars in good condition. Especially cars like you mentioned.

- Rob

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 04:15 PM

Bueller!

But seriously, it makes no sense. It'd be wrong hand drive, which would make passing very dangerous. Shipping is expensive, and guess what? They use salt on the roads here in WI, and somehow I'm still able to find used cars in good condition. Especially cars like you mentioned.

- Rob
passing wouldn't be any more dangerous, you either look or you dont. Even with the shipping price, the cars are a better value, like I said I can get a 3rd gen NX prelude for 6000 CDN fully loaded in great shape, domestic 3rd gens with less go for 5000CDN.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 04:32 PM

Actually it would be more dangerous, because in order to look you need to stick your car into the oncoming lane twice as much in order to see. But whatever, it seems you know all the answers and have your opinions (stupid as they are) already formed, so I really don't see hte point in posting this topic if you weren't looking for input.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2005, 04:49 PM

Bueller!

But seriously..

- Rob

ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules