Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > [For NIN Fans Only]

[For NIN Fans Only] (Page 2)
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 11:14 AM

demonoid

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2005, 11:41 AM

ok...I want it NOW!!!! (please, please, please... )
Joe

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 06:32 PM

Hello all-
For quite some time I've been interested in the idea of allowing you the ability to tinker around with my tracks - to create remixes, experiment, embellish or destroy what's there. I tried a few years ago to do this in shockwave with very limited results.
After spending some quality time sitting in hotel rooms on a press tour, it dawned on me that the technology now exists and is already in the hands of some of you. I got to work experimenting and came up with something I think you'll enjoy.
What I'm giving you in this file is the actual multi-track audio session for "the hand that feeds" in GarageBand format. This is the entire thing bounced over from the actual Pro Tools session we recorded it into. I imported and converted the tracks into AppleLoop format so the size would be reasonable and the tempo flexible.
So...
You need a Macintosh and you need GarageBand 2.0. If you have a newer Mac, you already have the software. The more RAM you have the better. I did this on a PowerBook 1.67 w/ 2G RAM but it has been running on far less powerful systems.
Drag the file over to your hard disk and double click it. Hit the space bar. Listen.
Change the tempo. Add new loops. Chop up the vocals. Turn me into a woman. Replay the guitar. Anything you'd like.
I gave this to my crew and band to test out and all work effectively stopped for a while - it's fun to mess around with. I've now heard a country version of the track as well as an abstract Latin interpretation (thanks, Leo).
There are some copyright issues involved, so read the notice that pops up. Giving this away is an experiment. I'm interested to see what comes of it, what issues are raised and what the results are.
Have fun-
Trent Reznor
April 15, 2005
http://www.nin.com/current/index.html

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 06:37 PM

Downloading nin_garageband.sit now

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 08:04 PM

****ing. Awesome.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 08:08 PM

but if anyone wants to give me free tickets to the atlanta show, feel free to do so. i hate sold out shows.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 10:08 PM

Trent ****ing rules. I always wondered how complicated a NIN song was and now I know. Very cool stuff.

BTW, I agree with Chris on the album. I listened to it 2 times today and it is really great stuff.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann

Downloading nin_garageband.sit now
I did. I just starting messing around. Cool to see all the tracks involved. I feel like a producer now.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2005, 12:15 AM

That's just awesome. I'm looking at theis GB song thinking "I don't wanna mess with it". I might. I'm impressed that Trent did this.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 12:55 AM

Good stuff. And a nice touch for an artist to allow people to "play" with his music.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 06:08 AM

VERY cool.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 09:47 PM

I agree that it is very cool. I'd like to see more artists do this. Encourage remixing, and get people interested in this side of music. They put a lot of effort into the production, and when people recognize that, I think they gain an appreciation for it. Plus its cool just to mess with the tracks.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 12:27 AM

i know we are all zealots (mac), but this album is less than impressive. i wish i could say that it was innovative or exciting in any way, but i cannot. there are a few songs that stand out and i appreciate them. i am glad i gave it an early a listen or 3 because i would've been pissed if i'd dropped money for it. as i listened i kept waiting to really get into a song or be blown away like i was in the past, but there was none of that. hell, "only" starts out like "electric ave." "getting smaller" is good and there are a couple of others. all in all a real let down. too bad.
if you are looking for a good new release check out the new gorillaz.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 17, 2005, 12:36 AM

This took a lot of balls on his part.

Plus it shows just how intricate his songs really are.

Too bad he has to be pretentiously "scary"

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 12:41 AM

the release of the GB shite is quite cool. i gotta hand it to him for that.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2005, 12:21 PM

i got that link off of tuaw.com. i never played with GB before, but had to download that song. very cool to release your music in that form.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 04:43 AM

I just bought the CD.

Nice. Although my favourite NIN ablum is still The Fragile.

My fave tracks so far from With Teeth are "You Know What You Are" and "All The Love In The World". As you can see my taste still lingers in the Fragile era.

Overall a solid effort from Trent. As usual, many of the tracks take time to grow on you. I expect this CD to be on heavy rotation on my stereo.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 06:01 AM

Glad to hear you like it, I just wish I could say the same. Their 1st album that I skipped over every song after hearing part of each, kept thinking next song is gonna pick it up. Oh well, I paid for the album, so hopefully that money will go towards a better one next time. Too much hype after so many years for what we got.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Glad to hear you like it, I just wish I could say the same. Their 1st album that I skipped over every song after hearing part of each, kept thinking next song is gonna pick it up. Oh well, I paid for the album, so hopefully that money will go towards a better one next time. Too much hype after so many years for what we got.
Yup, I know eaxctly what you mean.

I felt that way about Ava Adore from the Smashing Pumpkins too. Every subsequent album after Melon Collie was a bit of a let down for me. I kept expecting it to improve, but it just went on a downward spiral...

Well, like you said, you already paid for the album, perhaps giving it a chance to grow on you may work. If not, hope your next purchase is better.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
I felt that way about Ava Adore from the Smashing Pumpkins too. Every subsequent album after Melon Collie was a bit of a let down for me. I kept expecting it to improve, but it just went on a downward spiral...
That is odd, almost every pumpkins fan I know would rank Adore as one of the best albums they ever put out. There is so much emotion and it is just so different I think it is a pinnacle album and probably my second favorite. I mean songs such as Shame and Crestfallen are just so not the same old crap it deserves to be recognized for what it is.

I also love Machina/Machine II and TFAEOMM albums all have some amazingly real songs on them. I will say I am VERY disappointed in the new solo album and am Glad I never paid for it.

As far as NIN is concerned With Teeth for me was kind of a let down, I suppose just on the name alone, to me with teeth implies get ready to get your ass kicked, yet the album is more of the same. I will say Only is an awesomely melodic song that only Trent could pull off and the video for it is just very cool.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
That is odd, almost every pumpkins fan I know would rank Adore as one of the best albums they ever put out. There is so much emotion and it is just so different I think it is a pinnacle album and probably my second favorite. I mean songs such as Shame and Crestfallen are just so not the same old crap it deserves to be recognized for what it is.
I suppose for me I started my Pumpkin-mania with their earlier works, Siamese Dream and Gish. Then after their mainstream breakthrough with Siamese Dream came the huge Melon Collie, which to me was their peak of creativity. After that, their creative direction took a change in tack and went more towards the Ava Adore style. While Machina had it's moments for me, they never really recaptured the musical heights of their early days.

just my 2 cents.

And I didn't really enjoy Zwan either. I'm waiting to check out Billy's solo release some time soon.

And at risk of this NIN thread turning into a SP thread... here's a random NIN pic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules