Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PC vs Apple

PC vs Apple
demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 01:38 AM

( Last edited by demograph68; Oct 23, 2007 at 10:14 PM. )

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 01:42 AM

That's a ****ing riot.

"OS X is built on a BSD core though. That makes it relatively secure, but if you are running OS 9x you are retarded or live in a dirt hole."

Aloha

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 01:43 AM

Dude, why did you post this? Do you really expect any unique responses?
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Link:
That's a ****ing riot.

"OS X is built on a BSD core though. That makes it relatively secure, but if you are running OS 9x you are retarded or live in a dirt hole."

OS 9 is still better then Windows
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 01:45 AM

Really, it all depends on whether you are stupid or not. If you are stupid, you will buy a MAC, and make everyones life hell. If you are smart you will get a PC and run something other than Windows on it...like BSD.
GOLD! i'm selling all my macs and taking this guys advice. btw why would i want a MAC!
/sarcasm
http://www.mafia-designs.com

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Dude, why did you post this? Do you really expect any unique responses?
Dude, either be of some help or stfu.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Dude, either be of some help or stfu.
Help: This thread will in no time quickly dive into being a circlejerk of "hurr macz are bettur" "NO PEECEEZ ROOL LOL", and there really isn't any clear reason why this needs to be.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 02:14 AM

I hear Apple's are good for graphics.

My cousin is a artist and he has an iMac.

/sarcasm]

[xeo sez: overdid the spacing juuuust a tad... i left you some tho]
( Last edited by Xeo; Feb 15, 2005 at 02:19 AM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 02:17 AM

That thread isn't even very funny except for the guy who asked if they were stuck in the 80s.

Arguing about computers, video game consoles, cars, and other material possessions is really dumb. It's just a way for you to convince yourself you made the right decision. The Xeo has spoken.

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 02:28 AM

( Last edited by demograph68; Oct 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 02:33 AM

I happen to be rottenwomb, that's why I posted it here. I guess I wasted everyones time, so lock if you must...
Na, it's not like you are posting crap just to post it. I just happen to think arguing about it is dumb. If I closed every topic i thought was dumb, you'd see a lot more locks out there.

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 02:34 AM

Help: This thread will in no time quickly dive into being a circlejerk of "hurr macz are bettur" "NO PEECEEZ ROOL LOL", and there really isn't any clear reason why this needs to be.
I understand what you mean so I apologize.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
The Xeo has spoken.
ALL HAIL THE GREAT XEO!!!

ALL HAIL! /group]

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 11:52 PM

Update: You might find it humorous this time.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 12:04 AM

"It all comes down to what you want to do with the computer. Most people in a graphic-related field prefer Apples. This was originally the case because the Apple processor was better at processing floating point units for better graphics. Then along came graphics cards. Now everyone still uses Apples because they are stupid. All the programs that run on an Apple run on a PC also...almost all of them, except for Apple shitty proprietary software.

You can run linux on a MAC box though...but you have to do some trickery of the MAC boot partition. On windows you would need to get a boot menu."

Wow... apparently the G4 came out before graphics cards... who knew

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
"It all comes down to what you want to do with the computer. Most people in a graphic-related field prefer Apples. This was originally the case because the Apple processor was better at processing floating point units for better graphics. Then along came graphics cards. Now everyone still uses Apples because they are stupid. All the programs that run on an Apple run on a PC also...almost all of them, except for Apple shitty proprietary software.

You can run linux on a MAC box though...but you have to do some trickery of the MAC boot partition. On windows you would need to get a boot menu."

Wow... apparently the G4 came out before graphics cards... who knew
Stupid + Stupid = Still Stupid

I think he's referring to the use of GPUs as a means of acceleration in compositing graphics in the UI.

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 02:19 AM

it's a well known fact osx is far, far superior to windows. i give you that. but going for a mac just for the os makes no sense. it all comes down to my previous argument of "you can do everything a mac can on an ibm, plus everything else"
So it ends there for now.... I really hate debating with them though it's hard not to. I wish I didn't have to be so passionate over **** like that. I think I need to lay low for a while. I must be truly pathetic, given that I'm defending the honor of a piece of metal and plastic. Ughh... kill me now...

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 02:26 AM

It's not the honor of a piece of metal and plastic, to us mac users it's more like defending our honor and ideas! Why? I dunno!

It certainly isn't the tool, for example to artists, that makes them good artists -- Picasso and Monet would have been just as great on a piece of toilet paper as they were on a piece of canvas.

However, for those of us who do, it's like a whole.. I dunno,.. but it's fun to defend, and I take offense especially when people pull the "I can't imagine why ANYONE would use those things when x86 works fine for me!" crap .
Aloha

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:39 AM

1024x786 image used as avatar = win.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
1024x786 image used as avatar = win.
768. Tubbeh.

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 03:00 AM

768. Tubbeh.
OWN3D

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 03:02 AM

LOLDOUBLEPOST

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 03:02 AM

OMFG I SUX AT NMUBRE KEYS>

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
OMFG I SUX AT NMUBRE KEYS>
Homer

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2005, 03:19 AM

So it ends there for now.... I really hate debating with them though it's hard not to. I wish I didn't have to be so passionate over **** like that. I think I need to lay low for a while. I must be truly pathetic, given that I'm defending the honor of a piece of metal and plastic. Ughh... kill me now...
Basically, you have to look at what they are saying and realize they are making stuff up because it's the internet and they can. Case in point, the guy who claimed Win 95 doesn't crash (I don't even claim OS X doesn't crash). Also, the guy who said his linux has a year's uptime (not uncommon) but that one use of a mac and it crashed... well if that's not fabricated then he's certainly gone out of his way to find an instance where his claims are backed up.

If Apple didn't force us to restart on OS upgrades, most of the people on this forum would have S00P3R D00P3R uptimes too.

And now here I am arguing about the topic. But the point of what I'm saying is that any argument which involves blanket statements is almost surely worthless, and as such, if arguing with people using that tactic, it's better to just leave it alone.

Originally posted by Kilbey:
ALL HAIL THE GREAT XEO!!!

ALL HAIL! /group]
The Xeo approves.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Na, it's not like you are posting crap just to post it. I just happen to think arguing about it is dumb. If I closed every topic i thought was dumb, you'd see a lot more locks out there.
You think arguing is dumb and you're a moderator of an internet forum? Dude, I have some chains and whips to sell you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 06:47 AM

Yeah, I guess I'm too stupid to own a media access control.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
You think arguing is dumb and you're a moderator of an internet forum? Dude, I have some chains and whips to sell you.
Not the general idea of arguing. Just arguing about what material good gives you the bigger epenis. However, most arguments do end up being worthless.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2005, 11:36 AM

Why can't tooki shut down threads outside of MacNN

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules