Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switcher upgrade to Dual 2GHz

Switcher upgrade to Dual 2GHz
Hanul
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 03:42 AM

I am Mac-only since February, when I switched my Shuttle XPC (Athlon 1800+) for a Mac mini (1,42GHZ). I took the "low-cost" solution, just to be sure I could do without a Windows PC. If I had to switch back, it wouldn't have been so expensive. I don't miss the PC. Owning a PowerBook for 2 years now, I grew tired with the PC more and more.

Recently, I tried Apple's HD gallery and OMG the mini couldn't play the 1080 movies. That was so embarrasing Ok, I just looked for a reason to get the real thing - a dual PowerMac. Only had to convince my wife ("look at this, my computer can't even play HD content") and surprisingly she said yes.

Woohoo, just ordered a Dual 2GHz (1GB RAM, 250GB HD, Radeon 9650, BT, AE) from Apple Online. Have to wait a week, though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 03:57 AM

Congratulations, Hanul. I have had mine since July, and you can be certain that DP 2.0s absolutely ROCK.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 05:39 AM

Congrats, welcome to PowerMac ! You'll love it

- I have to work a lot harder to convince my 2nd half, lucky you...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 07:54 AM

Its no surprise the Mac mini can't play the 1080p HD videos. While it seems odd that "just" a video codec would require that much power to run, it really does require that much power. There's some very, very heavy math going on to decode HD video compression.

Your Mac mini will play raw, uncompressed HD just fine (assuming you had a couple dozen free GB on your hard drive)...

Try the same thing on a low-end PC and Microsoft's Windows Media 9 HD videos and you'll get the same choppy results. My old PC was an Athlon XP 2100+ with a Gigabyte motherboard (don't recall model #) w/ 4x AGP bus and a 128MB Radeon 8500 Pro. It could mostly play the WMP9 720p HD videos, but became a slide show when trying to play the 1080p versions at anything close to full resolution.

It was only until I swapped in an AXP 2600+ and an Asus motherboard with 8x AGP that WMP9 HD 1080p videos became playable at full, native resolution.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 08:14 PM

Congrats! I ordered the exact same config last Friday but it hasn't ship yet. My new 20' ACP should be here tomorrow though.

Hanul  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 03:18 AM

I bought my 20" with the mini. For the price I could have got an iMac G5, but somehow I knew, I would replace the mini soon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules