Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > OS 10.3 panther: Faster annimation? Better for gaming?

OS 10.3 panther: Faster annimation? Better for gaming?
Slaved
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 11:19 PM

just posting to see what you people have heard about this new OS

OS X so far has not been very nice to me game wise

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2003, 03:23 AM

I'd say it's been decent game-wise. At least, for me. I have heard, though, that OpenGL is getting a big improvement with Panther. We shall see. All things are sure to get better with the next OS. And when new hardware comes 'round you won't have to worry. Well ... unless you don't have the money for new hardware.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 08:04 PM

unless I missed somehting NO ONE knows anything about 10.3 yet. Info will get out @ WWDC though but that's in late June and will likely be under NDA.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

mac freak
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 04:10 AM

10.2 was SUPPOSED to "fix" OS X for gaming;
however, it still is poor. Few games run better under OS X than OS 9 (Q3 w/multiprocessing or Black & White come to mind as exceptions).

Warcraft III comes to mind as a game that performs truly pitifully under X when compared to how it runs under 9... same applies to most other 3D games and ALL 2D games (Diablo II, Age of Kings, Baldur's Gate 2, etc).

I haven't heared anything, but I give 10.3 a 20% chance of "fixing" things.
Be happy.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 04:45 AM

i actually have no problems with the way war 3 runs on my Dual 867/ATI 9000. i switched from a 2000+/4200 and the performance is comparable.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
10.2 was SUPPOSED to "fix" OS X for gaming;
however, it still is poor. Few games run better under OS X than OS 9 (Q3 w/multiprocessing or Black & White come to mind as exceptions).

Warcraft III comes to mind as a game that performs truly pitifully under X when compared to how it runs under 9... same applies to most other 3D games and ALL 2D games (Diablo II, Age of Kings, Baldur's Gate 2, etc).

I haven't heared anything, but I give 10.3 a 20% chance of "fixing" things.
You have to give coders time. OS 9 had stable API's and alot of history. With OS X you have a new operating system with at times a moving API. This will take time to settle down. But in the end it will.

More good examples are..

F1 2000 has special graphics calls for OS X 10.2 only
Max Payne looks and runs great in OS X.

There are a few issues with support and speed but on the whole look at a early Mac OS X attempts and look at the games now, alot of games could not even be ported to OS 9.

Cheer up the world is not that bad..

Edwin

mac freak
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 02:06 PM

My post wasn't meant to be so negative... sorry it came off that way!

I was just expressing the fact that there's still a long road ahead for good gaming performance under Mac OS X.
Be happy.

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 06:19 AM

The strenght of UNIX is that it should prevent an application to totaly hog the computer. The flip side is that unix by definition never will wring out the last bit of performance of the computer as it keeps up its "house keeping" at all times.

That is the theory. In practice I would guess that OS 9 have legacy implemenations that hampers some of the performence. The UNIX will impose an other set of legacy, hopfully a better set

And as other remarked behind 9.2 we have 9.1--9.0--8.6--8.5--8.1--8.0--7.6--7-5.5r2--7.5--7.1--7.0 and so on. With the need for Classic support in X rapidly fading the progress on X should be rapid.

For the graphics the hard and software has improved a lot. It seem like the sound management is due for a update is soft and hardware

With the 68k to PPC transition the first generation nubus PPC really did not boost the performance as much as the wastly improved CPUs would imply. It really took time until the 604generation with fast PCI cards and bus speeds as well as CPUs to get them to really fly.

Just like the nubus PPC was a hot rodded Quadra the current towers really are hot rodded B&W 1999 towers. The post G4 CPU will vault the PM to game performances in X that is better than any OS 9 computer

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by mac freak:
My post wasn't meant to be so negative... sorry it came off that way!

I was just expressing the fact that there's still a long road ahead for good gaming performance under Mac OS X.
No probs dude...

Just posting about the other side of the coin. But then again my favourate game is Championship Manager 4 Which has no heavy graphics at all.

Cheers Edwin

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 12:04 AM

My theory has always been that if you want to play games, your best bet is to build a relatively inexpensive Wintel PC to do it. Apple has screwed the pooch since day one of Macintosh when it comes to games and things aren't getting much better. I can hardly think of one 'modern' game that performs better on the Mac than on the PC, price/performance considered. What's sad is that my friend's two year old 1.6ghz P3 with a GeForce 4Ti 128mb card plays most everything better than my 1.2ghz PowerMac.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 05:53 AM

Man... I sure hope the gaming will get better with the next version of the OS X. I'm going to need it.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules