Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Photos galore...

G5 Photos galore...
tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 03:44 PM

Apologies if this should be posted as part of a current thread, I couldn't decide in which one was best.

99mac.com has published a partial review of the first G5 European prototype, they have added tons of pictures to their review. The review is in Swedish but you can all at least look at the pictures, worth a look:

http://galleri.99mac.com/showgallery...ssword=&page=1

F

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 03:58 PM

wow..comparing it to the g4..that g5..i didn't want to say its ugly..but

its not growing on me.

at least in comparison to the G4 tower.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Jun 27, 2003 at 05:08 PM. )

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 04:06 PM

Its bigger than I thought it would be. I really like the simplicity, but before I make a final decision about it, I'd like to see one. Preferably on my desk.

tanhauser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 04:13 PM

I know, I particularly liked the comparison shot with the G4, as well as the Airport/Bluetooth antennas and the look at the inside of the panel door.

I actually really like the new enclosure, and it's much bigger than I thought... already ordered a Dual 2.0 GHz, can't wait to get it!

F

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2003, 04:20 PM

Cool beans. I think it looks really cool. Nice and simple. I also didn't expect it to be that large compared to the G4 tower, but still cool. Awh man, I want one.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 04:34 PM

Looks like there might be room next to the PCI slots for another hard drive.... Depends on the size of the cards you put in it. Need to see it in person I guess.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 08:07 PM

Hey it's the Sherminator!
Who'sDaMac?

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 08:25 PM

The system itself is exceedingly industrial looking which is a rather large departure from the Mirror door which IMO never had a cohesive design. By the end of the G4 run all the chrome started to look tacked on.

What I don't like is the white keyboard and mouse. White looks good with the iMac but the new PM is different beast. Black or dark gray would be better.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 08:40 PM

I'm still wondering...is one of the sides "clear" or "open" or something...I always see pics of one side in which you can see all of the computer's innerds, is the case's side just off or is it a plexiglass window?

At any rate, I dig both towers for their own personal reasons...both have seperate pros/cons. The "stick-out" AE/Bluetooth adapters are a tad odd though.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tr
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I'm still wondering...is one of the sides "clear" or "open" or something...I always see pics of one side in which you can see all of the computer's innerds, is the case's side just off or is it a plexiglass window?

At any rate, I dig both towers for their own personal reasons...both have seperate pros/cons. The "stick-out" AE/Bluetooth adapters are a tad odd though.
one of the sides comes off, but there is a clear plastic guard present, to keep the cooling effect/air flow intact. you can run the computer with the side off, but not without the plastic inner cover.

i really like the design. the G4 looks dated compared to it. the metal work looks great from the pictures, especially in the handles. i'd like to see one up close, so i can see the details Ive was talking about in the wired article.

tr

CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Hey it's the Sherminator!
Ahaha...I was thinking the same thing

dazzla
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 11:47 AM

Here's a translation of their (p)review from Cerbero:

Today, 99mac got the chance to have a closer look at Power Macintosh G5, and at that document it with a camera to give all the readers a possibility to form an opinion on the new model.

Apple Sweden and MacSupport trixed and fixed and suddenly a Power Macintosh G5 was in place for testing. The machine we tested was the top model with dual PowerPC G5 2Ghz and 2GB RAM.

- Power Macintosh G5 is arguably bigger than earlier models, actually a full 20 inches tall, which by pure conincidence is an inch to big to fit in a standard 19" rack.

- Power Macintosh G5 gives a more competent and industrial impression than the soft and plastic G4. The case is molded in one piece of aluminum and has a combination of wavy lines and somewhat sharp corners inside the case. The quality of detail is fascinating, I dare say that no computer has been so well built and designed into the tiniest detail. This is the Global or Porsche of the computer world.

- We open the case and are greated by a big windscreen made from plexi glass or translucent plastic. The windscreen is in place to control the flow of cooling air through the computer. A total of nine fans are supposed to be in the computer, but we were only able to find eight at our inspection. Without the windscreen the computer can't be turned on, it would probably combust without the proper amount of cooling air. However, running the computer without the side piece of the case - a way to impress other computer users. (thoughts drift to the Ferrari 360 Modena, which has a hud made from glass)

- On the inside the two G5 processors and their heat sinks are entirely dominant. There's no question as to where the processors are located. A huge mother board is pretty sparsely populated and covers the bottom of the computer. I an AGP slot is and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and there are three free PCI slots. A total of 8 memory slots for DDR PC3200 memory is available and must be filled in pairs - the computer uses so called memory interleaving which requires 2 of the same memory in the two memory banks.

- The heat sinks for the G5 processors are HUGE and our spontaneous impression is that it will be a while until a solution for the Xserve and Powerbook has been found. If it takes 9 fans and heat sinks the size of milk cartons in the Power Macintosh G5, one wonders how it would be possible to have this in a 2.5" Powerbook?

- There is only one slot for an optical unit and Apple delivers a 4x Superdrive with all Power Macintosh G5. A stylish solution is the aluminum door which disappears downwards when the tray opens. Perfect for trimming your nails? We tried it and the resistance from my fingers makes the door stop.

- Power Macintosh G5 is delivered with a Serial-ATA hard drive, an new standard which gives up to 150MB/sec, somewhat more than the earlier ATA/133. The biggest difference is that Serial-ATA uses a significantly smaller and more flexible cables which doesn't stop the important airflow in the computer. There is only one free slot for an extra hard drive in the G5. The harddrive is slipped into place and uses special hard drive screws as a cradle. Apple shows off by mounting these extra screws in a tiny stand inside the computer by the free slot - no risk of losing a small plastic bag of screws!

- On the front of the computer is a Firewire 400 and a USB2 sockets for easy access. During our showing the keyboard was connected to the USB2 socket on the front of the computer.

- On the back side there are sockets for (from top to bottom) Airport, Bluetooth, optical in and out for sound, regular earphone socket, microphone, 2xUSB2, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, 10/100/1000Mbit Ethernet, and modem. The graphics card has double outlets with one DVI and one ADC-connection.

- Since the case is made from aluminum, both Airport and Bluetooth must be mounted externally, otherwise the reception would suffer (you can recognize that from the first generation of Titanium Powerbook G4's). That has been solved with two plastic sticks which are easily mounted on the back side. A big Airport mushroom and a small Bluetooth stick look funny when mounted. Guess whether they will be a hit on the extra parts lists?

- The sound volume is surprisingly low! At startup the whole set of fans start rumbling for a second, but then it is completely silent. I actually ask Lars-�ke Bj�rk at Apple if the computer is even on! To my ears it is completely silent but of course you can hear a subtle whine if you put your ear to the computer. Impressing according to me! Someone has been listening the the criticism about the rumble of the G4's.

- So, is the computer fast? Apple shows the same performance tests Steve Jobs did during the keynote and it really does fly through both Final Cut 4 and Photoshop. Right now the work of optimizing both Mac OS X and a heap of applications for G5 and 64-bit operations. The machine we tested had Mac OS X 10.2.7 installed and Apple says that when 10.3 Panther is released, performance will increase even more through more optimizations.

- Seeing as how our machine is a prototype and that optimizations of both hardware and software is still going on, we are not allowed to publish test results and comparisons with the G4 machines yet. Spontaneously the computer feels really fast in OS X and the few applications we have been able to test.

- In a few weeks the first production example will arrive at 99mac and we will then release performance tests of popular applications.

BIG THANKS to MacSupport and Apple Sweden for your cooperation with 99mac.com!

Have a closer look at 60 G5 pictures in our picture gallery:
http://galleri.99mac.com (updated shortly!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules