Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple seeds new build of 10.2.7...wait a minute....

Apple seeds new build of 10.2.7...wait a minute....
silverlode
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 09:36 AM

From think secret:

"In a less-expected development, Apple also seeded a new Jaguar build, Version 10.2.7, build 6R34. In a seed note, Apple said that 10.2.7 "delivers various component updates." The company suggested that testers concentrate their testing on the following areas: USB, Graphics Drivers, FireWire, USB, and PCMCIA cards, particularly USB 2.0 cards."

The thing that caught my eye was the PCMCIA card part. PCMCIA cards go in laptops. Why would Apple want testers to concentrate on PCMCIA cards? I thought 10.2.7 was specifically for G5 equipped PowerMacs. Maybe Apple will blow us all away and release new PowerBooks with G5's in them this fall.

Just a thought.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:39 AM

Beautiful imagination.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Flash2000
Aug 6, 2003, 09:49 AM

Don't the current 15" and 17" have the PCMCIA slots? If so then thats why its being tested now lol. For all the laptops that do exist and people own.
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:41 AM

I heard they distributed the notes for 10.2.7 only, not a new build...

However if it is a new build, it does not bode very well at all for the delivery dates of the new G5 Powermacs ... October at the earliest anyone?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2003, 11:02 AM

I thought 10.2.7 was specifically for G5 equipped PowerMacs.
Sez who? It will be included on the new Power Macs, but that doesn't mean that everything else will be ignored.

I heard they distributed the notes for 10.2.7 only, not a new build...

However if it is a new build, it does not bode very well at all for the delivery dates of the new G5 Powermacs
When did the new build for the new AluBooks get released? I knew they were running it at Steve's demo (obviously), but was it released before or after the 12" was actually shipping? I can't remember.

djjava
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by silverlode:
From think secret:

"In a less-expected development, Apple also seeded a new Jaguar build, Version 10.2.7, build 6R34. In a seed note, Apple said that 10.2.7 "delivers various component updates." The company suggested that testers concentrate their testing on the following areas: USB, Graphics Drivers, FireWire, USB, and PCMCIA cards, particularly USB 2.0 cards."

The thing that caught my eye was the PCMCIA card part. PCMCIA cards go in laptops. Why would Apple want testers to concentrate on PCMCIA cards? I thought 10.2.7 was specifically for G5 equipped PowerMacs. Maybe Apple will blow us all away and release new PowerBooks with G5's in them this fall.

Just a thought.
My PB will expect a software update for 10.2.7..... can't leave it in the dark....
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 03:49 PM

Oh joy! Maybe Apple finally addresses the mess they made of PCMCIA card support for Powerbooks ever since 10.2.4. After all, its only been there for six months and through three revisions.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
Oh joy! Maybe Apple finally addresses the mess they made of PCMCIA card support for Powerbooks ever since 10.2.4. After all, its only been there for six months and through three revisions.
What PCMCIA cards do you use in your PowerBook? I have a Pismo and I don't think I've ever used a PCMCIA card in the two or three years that I've owned this thing...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Pliskin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 10:41 PM

I've got a Belkin wireless card, so would this mean that it would now work, without me having to pay out more money for drivers?

I got it today for about 30 bucks over at Office Max.

Pliskin.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:46 PM

Pliskin, welcome to the MacNN Forums!

It's quite possible that w/ the release of Panther, your card will work properly...do you already know it won't work in OS X 10.2.6?

[APi]TheMan, a majority of Pismo users use their PC slot for wireless cards. As for us newer PB owners w/ AirPort/AE built-in, the only real use I see is USB 2.0 hubs and possibly to transmit iTunes music to a A/V receiver wirelessly.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

rjt1000
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 10:59 PM

Hi all,

I regularly use the PCMCIA slot on my Pismo for downloading pix from my (somewhat older) Olympus digital camera. Just pop the smartmedia card into the PCMCIA adapter and all the pix are instantly available with the card mounted as a hard drive.

But then again, I nearly always use OS 9.2.2 rather than OS X which is kinda sluggish on my Pismo.

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
[APi]TheMan, a majority of Pismo users use their PC slot for wireless cards. As for us newer PB owners w/ AirPort/AE built-in, the only real use I see is USB 2.0 hubs and possibly to transmit iTunes music to a A/V receiver wirelessly.
Ah, I hopped on the 802.11b bus about a year and a half ago and srpung for a Apple Airport card. No need for a PCMCIA wireless card.

I'd be curious what I could find to use for that slot. The only upgrade I can think of now for my Pismo is a combo drive with a 24x write (I currently use a 16x Yamaha FireWire drive that's been working like a champ for over two years now.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 06:12 PM

I use my PCMIA slot on my Powerbook daily. My biggest use is a Socketcom.com card to hook my cell phone to laptop for my primary internet connection. Next is a video input card so I can watch TV (I use a vcr for a tuner). Next is sliding a Compact Flash card for transfering digital pictures from my camera. Way better than using the crappy transfer software provided by most cameras - mounts as a disk - just drag!

The last is pure convenience (but does eliminate a cable). I have a travel sort of job and move every three months. Too much effort and cost to move a TV and hook up a landline or cable four times a year. I can't imagine living without this slot. Every other option requires messy cables. So until Bluetooth is ubiquitous...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 06:49 PM

I use a Dazzle 4 in 1 card adapter (about $6),

I biought 10 128 MB Smartmedia cards when I was in St. Thomas ($15 each). I now can take thousands of 3megapixel pictures on a vacation without need to down lad to PB. When I get home I can just plug them in the Dazzle & iPhoto recognizes them. I even use them as 128MB harddrives to transfer files to a PC that doesn't have airport.

Pcmcia slot also saved me one time when my internal modem got zapped by hotel digital phone. Worked great until I could spare time to send it in for Safeware to replace MB,

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 08:04 PM

Sorry to sound uninformed, but what exactly does a PCMIA card do, or rather, what is it used for? I ask because I'm currently in the market for cable internet service and one of the requirements is a PCMIA card, I understand that 12" powerbooks don't have a slot for that card, but does that also mean that it does not have one installed at all?

silverlode  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 08:29 PM

Just to be accurate it's PCMCIA, not PCMIA.

It's nothing more than a standard, like PCI, NuBus, or ZIF. 3rd party manufacturers make cards that fit in the slot for various uses such as video input, audio input, networking, etc.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

rjt1000
Senior User
Aug 8, 2003, 11:28 PM

===============
Gauchogirl:

If you are looking for cable internet service, all you will need is your powerbooks ethernet port. The ISP's talk about a PCMCIA slot is for windoze laptops that might not have ethernet built in. (It would allow them to add it on in this slot). So go ahead and order cable broadband. It will work great with your powerbook.

================
[APi]TheMan:

I hope you are not planning to add a PCMCIA CDRW to your Pismo, since adding an internal combo CDRW/DVD drive is easy and will give you much greater portability. Check out this link for more info on how to install it in your OEM sled:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/oem...mbo_drive.html

While you're at it, check out their drive compatability database to read reviews about specific models that folks have used in the Pismo ("Powerbook G3 2000 Rage 128 mobility")
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

FWIW: I installed the LG GCC 4240N in my Pismo sled when the OEM drive bit the dust. I needed to hack the drivers for this model, but for some, no hacking at all is necessary. Now I can burn disks on the road at 24x and watch DVDs as well

BTW: how do you like the G3 900 Powerlogix upgrade? I've been considering it....
============

Best wishes,

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 12:45 AM

I use PCMCIA slot for downloading CompactFlash and SD cards in a PCMCIA adaptor (faster than USB). Also, especially for transferring files to/from my iPaq Pocket PC with adaptor for PCMCIA hard drives (2 and 5 GB).

Since 10.2.4, I've switched to USB CF and SD card readers and have to restart with the PCMCIA hard drives inserted to get them mounted. PITA.

Even pro photographer site robgailbrath.com's photo card reader review concluded that Mac Powerbooks are presently unsuitable for professional use due to the PCMCIA hang issue. Its unfortunate that Apple has ignored this issue for so long.

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 11:50 AM

===============
Gauchogirl:
If you are looking for cable internet service, all you will need is your powerbooks ethernet port. The ISP's talk about a PCMCIA slot is for windoze laptops that might not have ethernet built in. (It would allow them to add it on in this slot). So go ahead and order cable broadband. It will work great with your powerbook.
================

Thanks for the help, I was wondering why it was required and now I know

osxisfun
Aug 9, 2003, 11:51 AM

you might want to look at DSL instead. verizon has a $29 a month deal with great bandwidth.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by rjt1000:
[APi]TheMan:

I hope you are not planning to add a PCMCIA CDRW to your Pismo, since adding an internal combo CDRW/DVD drive is easy and will give you much greater portability. Check out this link for more info on how to install it in your OEM sled:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/oem...mbo_drive.html

While you're at it, check out their drive compatability database to read reviews about specific models that folks have used in the Pismo ("Powerbook G3 2000 Rage 128 mobility")
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

FWIW: I installed the LG GCC 4240N in my Pismo sled when the OEM drive bit the dust. I needed to hack the drivers for this model, but for some, no hacking at all is necessary. Now I can burn disks on the road at 24x and watch DVDs as well

BTW: how do you like the G3 900 Powerlogix upgrade? I've been considering it....
Hey there, rjt1000.

About the 900 mhz upgrade: I took the plunge about 2 months ago and I've not regretted it since. I love the new life it put into my Pismo. I can decode DivX/Xvid at fullscreen on an external monitor/TV at wonderful speeds. Most applications launch in one bounce, it's awesome. Combined with my 768 RAM and my new Travelstar 30 gig drive this thing's got a new lease on life.

Regarding the combo drive: Yeah, I've been hearing about these combo drives that work in the Pismo's drive bay. I'd be semi-interested in purchasing one, but I'm not sure if it's a real good investment for me (I've spent enough money this summer as it is). And also, as my laptop is pretty much my desktop, my 16x Firewire CD-RW should do just fine for the time being. However, should my current external drive break I'd be even more accepting of dropping $200 for an internal combo drive. How much did you pay for your drive?

rjt1000
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 09:57 PM

Hey [APi]TheMan:

(re the combo dirve) If I remember, I paid about $150 on eBay. About the same as what some of the used OEM drives were selling for at the time.

If you decide to take the plunge, the best way is to search the xlr8 database link I mentioned and pick a combo drive model that people seem to like. Then do a search on eBay.

Yeah, I've been tempted to do the powerlogix upgrade. Then I keep hoping the new 15 inch PB will be released and I keep delaying....

Best wishes,

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 11:34 PM

do you think the 900 g3 is better than their 500 g4 upgrade? im wondering whether or not to buy one of them...also do you have to send in your pismo for them to do it? wouldn't you pay for more labor?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by spitty27:
do you think the 900 g3 is better than their 500 g4 upgrade? im wondering whether or not to buy one of them...also do you have to send in your pismo for them to do it? wouldn't you pay for more labor?
Yes, the benefits of the G3 900 far outweigh the G4 500's. OSX loves clock speed. Now if the G4 upgrade were a faster one it'd be a different story, but this G4 at only 500 mhz really doesn't yield much of a performance gain when compared with the G3 900.

This machine I'm on at work is a G4 500 desktop and Mac OS X is unbearable on it sometimes. It's a desktop so it's got a nicer video card to help with X's candy. It feels kinda like my old 400 mhz Pismo used to feel when I was using X. My 900 mhz is way faster. If you're going to upgrade... get the 900.

And to answer your question, yes, you have to send your processor card in to Powerlogix in Austin, TX. They don't charge more for labor, though I assume it's already figured in with the flat rate of $350.

( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Aug 13, 2003 at 03:39 PM. )

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 08:44 PM

nice...and i am to send in the whole computer or just the processor. do they have instructions how and how to package and where to send? i am REALLY considering doing this to my 400 pismo..but on the other hand im saving up for my g5
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 11:07 AM

nice...and i am to send in the whole computer or just the processor. do they have instructions how and how to package and where to send? i am REALLY considering doing this to my 400 pismo..but on the other hand im saving up for my g5
Yep. Once you place the order they send you an e-mail detailing how to package it all up (they send you a padded box with shipping labels already on it.)

Save up for a G5. But then again, you might wanna wait for second rev G5s or maybe G5 laptops. Who knows. I love my upgraded Pismo, I think you would too. though I don't game or do anything really video card intensive, all my tasks can be enhanced by the upgraded processor and don't really suffer from the 8meg video bottleneck.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 11:20 AM

yeah im gonna go with the 900 upgrade. even still im over 1.5 grand short of the g5. ill have a gig of ram, 900mhz and a 30gig hd (been using it for over a year). yeah i watched their flash how to take out the CPU. they give u the metal thing to remove the cpu, do they give you the philips flathead? do you keep your ram, and just ship the cpu? how long does the WHOLE process take from the day you order..and when will i be able to use the computer because school is starting soon, and i would like to have it ready by then.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 04:37 PM

yeah im gonna go with the 900 upgrade. even still im over 1.5 grand short of the g5. ill have a gig of ram, 900mhz and a 30gig hd (been using it for over a year). yeah i watched their flash how to take out the CPU. they give u the metal thing to remove the cpu, do they give you the philips flathead? do you keep your ram, and just ship the cpu? how long does the WHOLE process take from the day you order..and when will i be able to use the computer because school is starting soon, and i would like to have it ready by then.
They don't include a Phillips screwdriver with the package... You don't include your RAM when you send your processor card to Powerlogix.

The process takes about 10 days. Good move, man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules