Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ok, did I get a smoken' deal? 17" PB - $2750?

Ok, did I get a smoken' deal? 17" PB - $2750?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 07:24 PM

I picked up an Open Box 17" PB at the local CompUSA today for $2750. Smoken' deal or not? I thought so. Yeah, I did have to buy the Apple Care and the CompUSA screen protection plan so it brought my price to $3200. But not a bad deal all in all - especially the CompUSA plan.

I know, I know, what "if" new PBs are coming out. But I just had to ask - deal or no? I think so.

Now I've gotta put my original TiPB 500 up for sale. Great machine, however expected wear and tear for a machine a few years old. One or two dings on the case, and the "usual" oil on the screen from the keyboard scruff marks. Far from me to say this is a 100% machine - let's be kind (to the buyer) and call it a 50% machine. What's the going rate?

thanks - danbrew

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 07:49 PM

i think it's a good deal. and don't worry about new PBs. the best that might happen would be a speed bump. and i think .25 Ghz wouldn't make that much of a difference. especially since it's still a G4. have fun with the new toy.
Ryan

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 08:11 PM

Congrats on the "new" PB. You're going to love it.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 08:26 PM

PB500s go for $800-$1000..... depending on extras!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 10:52 PM

Great deal. Hey why didn't you just get CompUSA's entire warranty plan and save on AppleCare?

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 10:59 PM

I got my 17" from a shady mail-order place here in LA for $2798, sealed box. Plus CAs butt-rape sales tax.

I wouldn't have ever sent them money and done the mail-order thing...but they said I could come by and pick it up and pay there, even though they really don't have a walk-in store. I did just that and count myself lucky that I got my machine so cheap.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 03:49 AM

That is a very good deal, so enjoy it. Don't worry, even if they do come up with a new version of the 17inch, it'll only most likely have a tiny cpu speed increase, and yes, .25 mhz won't make that much of a difference. Plus, if you get Panther later on, you might not even feel the difference at all in the speed. Same can also say even if you're using 10.2.6.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

moonman192
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 12:29 PM

Wow I can't beleive CompUSA gave you an open box deal on a Powerbook. I went in a couple weeks back and was looking at the Ti 15" 867 and 1ghz. The 1ghz was opened and returned, even had some unusual scratches on it. They wanted full price and told me Apple doesn't let them sell open items at a discount. Guess I just got a line. So I just went with the 17" PB. Congrats on the great deal.
17" Powerbook - 1GHZ - 1 GIG RAM
15 GIG iPod

beachmark
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2003, 03:02 PM

Guys,

The best of happiness with your new BigAl. I hope that you will be as happy with as I am at this moment. The deal you got is awesome and whatever improved version is being released later this week yours is still a super one. No matter what some others will say.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2003, 04:55 PM

Except for the sales tax and all the protection plans, I think it's a great deal.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2003, 04:58 PM

OK so that is the second "major" retailer trying to offer up 17" Powerbooks at discounted rates. Went by Fry's the ther day and they had "refurbished" 17" PB's for $2799; something they have NEVER offered her in my neck of the woods. They sometimes have open box offers at $100 off, but NEVER have they had "refurbs". Are you sure it was an open box return and not something they are dumping inventory with? Wonder how one would be able to tell? Last time CompUSA had "open boxes" was right before the iBook updates. Picked one up for the wife at a great savings. May have to get my CC and go shopping tonight.

Edit: Did they include any no payment/no interest deals???

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:
OK so that is the second "major" retailer trying to offer up 17" Powerbooks at discounted rates. Went by Fry's the ther day and they had "refurbished" 17" PB's for $2799; something they have NEVER offered her in my neck of the woods. They sometimes have open box offers at $100 off, but NEVER have they had "refurbs". Are you sure it was an open box return and not something they are dumping inventory with? Wonder how one would be able to tell? Last time CompUSA had "open boxes" was right before the iBook updates. Picked one up for the wife at a great savings. May have to get my CC and go shopping tonight.

Edit: Did they include any no payment/no interest deals???
I suppose it was an open box - it had one of those yellow stickers on the box and had already been started up - in other words, it didn't go through the new user registration when I turned it on. I formatted the drive and went through the new user routine after I brought it home.

:->

Forum Links
Forum Rules