Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar on a beige G3

Jaguar on a beige G3
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 06:47 PM

Let me take you back to a time when Macs were Beige, had floppy disk-drives with no eject button and rainbow coloured badges, and Gil Amelio was CEO.

Has anyone else had problems running 10.2 on one of these Rev 1 (Rage II+) beauties? It could be memory, but I've never had a problem with any OS from 8.0 through to OS X Public Beta, 10.0 and 10.1. But Jaguar 10.2, 10.2.6 and 10.2.8 are basically useless because they usually lock up with 20 minutes of booting.

Chris

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2003, 08:35 PM

To put it as simply as possible: nope.

running it on a beige G3 333, though, so that should be a little different than yours. I have a Rage Pro II, not a 128 though, so it's similar.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 08:44 PM

Just fine here with a Server G3/300, 768MB and a UW SCSI card attached to an Atlas 10k. I must note that I have a Revision _A_ ROM, which seems to have caused people some problems, but not me. I've been running Jag on it for about 6 months now with narry a problem in sight.

Oh, the video is Rage II+, and OS X _is_ in a 7.5GB partition on the primary SCSI boot drive.

Dan

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2003, 09:21 PM

I have a rev B running Jaguar as we speak. Can't tell you about rev A though.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 10:03 PM

Curious....! thanks.

Like I say, no other OS has given me problems, but unless Panther can be made to boot on these machines it'll be stuck with 9.2 and 10.1 forever.

People have got X running on unsupported machines before though, haven't they? (603e/604e based machines with upgrades)

Chris

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 10:12 PM

I've had 10.2.6 server running on a Rev A 266 Overclocked to 315 with no problems.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 10:22 PM

Think yourself Lucky clebin! I cant for the life of me even get 10.2 to install on my Beige G3. And I have tried EVERYTHING bar different install CD's. I have stripped it right back down to stock and put the original G3 cpu back in (It normally has a G4 zif in it). Juggled about the ram chips, removed all pci cards, checked jumpers on the hd and cd drive. Its G3 rev 1 266mhz. Runs great in 9. Just doesnt accept 10.2 at all. It still has the original 6gig HD in it too though. Might that be a problem? Cant see that it would be..

Seems odd that it actually got further when I tried to install 10.3 on it. That still didnt work of course, But it did at least start to boot from the CD's, which it didnt do with 10.2.

Oh, and I am pretty sure there will be a patch around soon that will allow 10.3 to run on a Beige G3. I read about it someplace. Will post a link if I happen to find the info again.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

JRSTRONG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 03:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grrr:

I remember that I had to do something 'special,' like % the firmare rom, or something, to allow 10.2.6 to operate on the rev. 1 beige?

I had to 'flash' my B&W's rom (up to 1.1f) to allow me to transfer zif from my beige to the B&W, however I lost my partially functioning internal SCSI.

I had already 'flashed' the rom on a PC ATI 64mb PCI video card so as to run X in my Macintosh beige G4? It was not fast, buit it was 'usable, but I had upgraded my Beige G3/G4 all that I could, and since I found a cheap B&W, I've got a couple more years, unitl I need something higher for MacOS to run on?

Jeff
Jeff Strong and his wunderputer!
Performa 640(PPC-601)/LC040/52mb/(8.6)/10.3gigs Win95b/586dx2/100mhz/32mb, with only
1 Zoom 56k modem, 16" Apple monitor, 12 year old Stylewriter II printer, floppy, cd, kybrd, & scanner!

I moved "up" to an Apple beige G3 with a G4/500 zif chip o/c to 550mhz, running Mac OS X 10.1 with the same 16" Apple monitor now using 6mb vram, 768mb sdram ram, a 30 gig EIDE drive, another keyboard, same zoom 56k, a Yamaha SCSI CDRW 6/4/16, floppy, and future EIDE DVD, or.............transitioning a lot of this into a Powermac 9600!

Bill Gates "forced" me to buy one of his 'pirated' WindowsXP commodity-based PC's from Dell 'new' for $400, 2.8ghz (slower than G4/550), 17", CDRW, 512mb, DVD, and same OLD Zoom 56k!

tomfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 11:55 PM

G3 333 minitower with 448 MB, an Orange+ USB/Firewire, an iceKey keyboard, logitech optical scrollwheel mouse, runs 10.2.8 like a champ. I've run all OS X since the public beta on it. I put a Radeon 7500 in it 6 months ago and Quartz Extreme even works. The SCSI controller died, so I put a 40G ATA drive into it.

I'm hoping I can run 10.3 with the help of xpostfacto...

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 12:44 AM

Didn't the 7500 only come in an AGP version? I thought the 7000 was the highest-end PCI graphics card you could buy.... That's why i bought one...

-Biggie!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by clebin:
Let me take you back to a time when Macs were Beige, had floppy disk-drives with no eject button and rainbow coloured badges, and Gil Amelio was CEO.

Has anyone else had problems running 10.2 on one of these Rev 1 (Rage II+) beauties? It could be memory, but I've never had a problem with any OS from 8.0 through to OS X Public Beta, 10.0 and 10.1. But Jaguar 10.2, 10.2.6 and 10.2.8 are basically useless because they usually lock up with 20 minutes of booting.

Chris
I had a HELL Of a time installing 10.2 onto mine. Rage2 6MB. I had to take out all but one stick of RAM and then it installed. After I put the RAM back in and it has been solid for a year.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 10:38 AM

I did the whole works too with mine, like setting the Energy Saver settings to never go to sleep, removing all but 1 stick of RAM, zapping PRAM a lot of times, clearing out OpenFirmware, etc. I also babysat the install to make sure the machine didn't go to sleep (and my god was that a long 3 hours). But it works just fine.

dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules