Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US ISP Options

US ISP Options
OSXFreak
Oct 27, 2003, 06:44 PM

I'm visiting Orlando, FL next week (I live in the UK) and would like to document my hols on a blog. I'm planning on taking my Powerbook, but am unsure how I'm going to connect to the internet. My hotel has modem lines, but which ISP can I use? What's my best option? Is the wi-fi hotspot around Apple's store any good?
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 27, 2003, 08:06 PM

your hotel won't have broadband? That'd be free.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 12:32 AM

No matter what your going to pay.. especially in Orlando FL. Where they "love" their tourists.

Broadband is often free in places like NYC where Business clients often stay. It's enticing for them. They go where they get access.

In resort/recreation places, like Orlando... not quite so common. Would perfer you pay for it. They know you don't really "need" it... you would "like" it. So you'll pay if you want it bad enough.

For business customers. They know they are going to buy it. So they build it into the room charge. And offer it "Free", as an enticement to stay there.

Typical trend (sadly).

I'd bet your hotel will have an ISP for your use though. Either Broadband that you can just plugin to, or an extension your modem can dial to get access (depending on the place). Fees vary greatly. I've seen it anything from $1/hr (not so bad), to $0.01/min + $4 charge. Pretty raping. And everything in between.

Good idea is to ask your hotel before you book if you care enough. If you get a hotel that often hosts business clients (conventions, etc.) you might get some free access. If it's pure recreation... you'll most likely be paying.

I personally leave my laptop home. Vacation I don't check Email, IM, or anything. I go unplugged. That's what vacation is right? My vacations are the only time I go unplugged.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 02:10 AM

Pick up one of the 75,000,000,000 AOL introductory CDs that are littering the American landscape. Then you can get 1000 free hours (or whatever the latest offer is), and cancel the account when vacation time is over.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

OSXFreak  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 02:33 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Proof once again that the mac community really does care.

Pop down to FL next week and I'll buy you all a drink for your love and attention
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules