Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > And I thought mac users were about user friendlyness?

And I thought mac users were about user friendlyness?
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:03 PM

It has been brought to my attention that single 1.8 buyers have been riticuled by richer mac owners. Whats that all about? I may not be good with words, but I baught a mac so I could enjoy the friendliest userface on the market. Now all I read about is who got punk'd, who should have waited. Those who believe they have a better machene than others, should propbobly take a good look at whay they enjoy teasing others. Then they should take a good look at their reciept for their macs and realize they are a whore for consumer society.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:15 PM

Not all of mac users are like that, but the ones that are tend to be incredibly vocal. People get the computer that best fit their needs at that time. Any of them are a fine choice.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:21 PM

well put, I get a little out of control sometimes

CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 08:22 PM

...are you making fun of me...

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:25 PM

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 08:29 PM

I DON'T EVEN HAVE A G5. I HAVE AN 840AV THOUGH. 32MB RAM. BAM.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:

You know what my favorite key is?

How's that for user friendliness?

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 08:38 PM

Some mac owners/fans are real assholes. Just like in the real world you have to ignore them at one point or another to maintain your sanity.
Aloha

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:51 PM

well, I am glad there are real people out there, and by the way I still rock my performa 6300CD from time to time! 1oomhz, Bam, with speed doubler its clocked at like 117!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 19, 2003, 09:06 PM

True gangstas have B&W G3s.

Fo real.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 09:11 PM

The only 1.8 G5 owners I've seen getting any flack are the ones complaining that they've been somehow done badly by because Apple upgraded the 1.8 to a DP machine. Their Macs, as far as I know, run just as well, or not, as they did before Apple announced the new machines. I think a lot of the regulars on the various Mac forums have developed a low tolerance for whining over the years. (If I had wanted to wait, I could have saved $500 by buying the 1.8 DP instead of the 2.0 DP, but I didn't want to wait.)

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
True gangstas have B&W G3s.

Fo real.

PLUS

EQUALS

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 19, 2003, 09:19 PM

Hahahaha... You just made my night.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 09:35 PM

I see it more as good natured ribbing. Kinda like your brother rubbing it in when you spill food on your shirt If Apple came out with a dual 2.5 G5 for $1999 tomorrow I would feel a tinge of pin for a second and move on knowing my dual 2.0 is not an ounce slower than it was a day before. Computers WILL become outdated and OBSOLETE, the WHEN is the only variable.

-Jerry C.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 09:43 PM

... And all this time I though user-friendly meant that the OS and hardware were easy to use. But now I know that all this time Apple was referring to how friendly their users are.

Just look at that smile. I am obviously one of the more friendly users out there.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

MdntCommercial
Banned
Nov 20, 2003, 01:23 AM

The user face has traditionally been the easiest of use on the market, however the competition between users has seen serges in testosterone levels ever since late august.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2003, 09:23 AM

I have duallie G5 w/ 1gig of RAM and this is my user face;

The only time I came down on a 1.6ghz user was when I attacked a troll who claimed nothing, but problems w/ his 1.6, but didn't offer any explainations as to what those problems were. He mentioned he was doing Web design, music production, and graphics worx and video editing. I asked why he'd get the least of the G5's when he's doing the above.

Other than that. I have a 500mhz Tibook and 266mhz Tangerine iMac. Those are definitely slower than the 1.8Ghz G5. These should be sufficiently slow enough to have gained respect in this thread.
ebuddy

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 10:23 AM

This thread has AIDS.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 11:39 AM

Like most places, there are both good and bad, helpful and unhelpful here...

However, for the most part, the good out number all others... We're not all bad!

Peace,

Marc

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 11:43 AM

Oh and in the slowness stakes: I'm on a G3 466 SE iBook (Clamshell!) running Panther... until Apple releases a Powermac that offers me real VFM compared to the rest of the PC market.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 11:51 AM

In a continuing effort to keep this thread a "my computer sucks more than yours" debate...

G4 400 (Yikes! Model)
384 MB RAM
Panther

Oh, and I disagree that Macs offer you less value for your money than PCs. The top-of-the-line models in both departments are comparable. Plus, those eMacs are pretty damn cheap.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 12:38 PM

I've got a B&W G3/350 running Jaguar, and I have a friend with my original tangerine clamshell iBook/300 running Jaguar as well.

I can't complain about speed, because I do have a dual G5/9800, but still...

I think the new dual-1.8 is a great value, but if someone chose of their free will to buy a single 1.8 and were happy with it before the dual-1.8 announcement, then they should still be happy. If Apple had announced a dual-2.5, I'd still like my dual-2.0, as it would be as awesome today as it was yesterday.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Oh, and I disagree that Macs offer you less value for your money than PCs. The top-of-the-line models in both departments are comparable. Plus, those eMacs are pretty damn cheap.
Not a chance...

The 1.6 G5 in the UK, is pried around �1500 with 256MB RAM.

I was in a large computer store the other day, PC World the largest chain we have, and for a Compaq, Dell, or Packard Bell system based around an Athlon XP3000+ or 3Ghz P4, 1 Gig RAM, with DVD-RW, CD-RW, top of the line Gfx card (Radeon 9800 Pro), a 17" TFT LCD screen included, Microsoft Office, and a decent Canon printer, it came to around �900.

From some custom build firms, you can get an Athlon 64 based system complete with 17" LCD... for �850.

Basically you could get 2 Athlon 64 complete systems for less than 1 1.6Ghz G5 if you choose to buy an Apple LCD display with the G5.

I want REAL VFM from Apple, not perceived VFM...

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 03:17 PM

I have been running Panther on my trusty iMac DV SE 500 which, of course is a 500mhz G3, with 384MB ram. To be honest it is a great machine for email, web and even some occasional Photoshop, FCP, and Dreamweaver. I like my girlfriends DP 800 better though. I am sure the iMac will get a rest when my 1.25 15" Powerbook arrives on Monday...
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

MdntCommercial
Banned
Nov 20, 2003, 06:51 PM

i'm sorry, but Samuraidl takes the trophy with his performa 6300cd!

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 07:45 PM

I'm running a B&W 350 as my main machine, no problems with speed at all. I used to have a 8500/150, now that was a little slower.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 09:11 PM

Apple makes their product line-up a pricing game.

It was I who made the punk'd comment and it has nothing to do with class or race or that fact that we are all consumer whores. Especially cliquey boutiquey Apple snobs.

Apple does not tell people what their plans are. There is no road map, no way for a business owner to make intelligent planning on product cycles. They make it a crap shoot and I have long resented them for that.

Now, did single 1.8GHz owners get punk'd? Yes. Why? Because VERY early in the product cycle, Apple made that same price point a dual.

My current computer is a dual 2GHz. My last somputer was a dual G4/800. My last one before that was a dual G4/450. Before that I had a 9500 dual 180MHz. I passed on dual 1GHz, dual 1.25GHz, and dual 1.42GHz. Do I think dual processor Macs hold a distinct advantage and are more future proof. Clearly I do.

Was I making fun of single 1.8GHz owners? No. Was I pointing out a fact? Yes. Will single 1.8GHz owners think twice about buying a single processor unit again? Yes. Because of anything I said? No. Does Apple have a history of releasing stop gap computers because they suck at product roll-out? Yes. Was the single 1.8GHz model stop gap? Clearly it was.

Look, single 1.8GHz owners went up $500 in price point for a measly 200MHz. They were not willing to go another $500 for 2200 more MHz.

Look at it this way:

$500 = 200MHz
$1000 = 2200MHz + SMP

Which is the beter buy?

---

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Send your hata mail to Cupertino.
( Last edited by sodamnregistered2; Nov 21, 2003 at 12:18 AM. )
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 11:13 PM

I'm angry!

redJag
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:

Whoa dude! That must be kickass! I have a 640AV. 256MB HD yo. Yeah, eat that. The monitor has built-in speakers, booyah!
Travis Sanderson

dantley
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Some mac owners/fans are real assholes. Just like in the real world you have to ignore them at one point or another to maintain your sanity.
Yeah, I think you were acting like one when you responded to one of my posts.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by dantley:
Yeah, I think you were acting like one when you responded to one of my posts.

He does kind of Have special dispensation for his disposition around these parts...

Back in the days of 'JoeG4' and MacZealot' (previous aliases), he was the only member I have ever seen to get a 'Recovering from MacNN' Status and a minus post count as a result of some particularly heavy posting and flaming sessions! (1000 post Addicted status in 2 days, or was it 3? )

But this is traded off against the fact that he has the most emormously bad luck with Applecare. I challenge anyone to have worse CInema screen display problems than Link...

All in, a reformed character and valued stalwart of the boards...

Peace,

Marc

dantley
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
He does kind of Have special dispensation for his disposition around these parts...

Back in the days of 'JoeG4' and MacZealot' (previous aliases), he was the only member I have ever seen to get a 'Recovering from MacNN' Status and a minus post count as a result of some particularly heavy posting and flaming sessions! (1000 post Addicted status in 2 days, or was it 3? )

But this is traded off against the fact that he has the most emormously bad luck with Applecare. I challenge anyone to have worse CInema screen display problems than Link...

All in, a reformed character and valued stalwart of the boards...

Peace,

Marc
LOL, I didn't realize he was a recovering a-hole. I think he posted that I was a dumb lemming because I have a Dell laptop... This was amusing to me since I didn't buy the laptop, my company gave it to me. The laptop I paid for is a 15" PB.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 10:48 PM

My sister has a 1.8 G5 ...

and she LOVES it. I have a dual 1.42 dual/duel...so I'm set for a while.

Get the machine that does what you need it to do and never look back. I'll be happy with my 1.42 for a long time... at least until the dual 4 ghz G5's come out

proudponyride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 02:40 AM

Even though I've got my trusty Quadra 700 humming along over here on OS 8.1, I can't belive there's still a Performa ALIVE out there. Most of them were given altitudinal adjustments (thrown from second story windows, bridges, etc.) by their former owners. The only one that could de-throne you is a PowerBrick 5300... any out there???

Yes, the Quadra is my router, but the best Mac ever made, IMHO. My 7500 ain't too shabby neither.
All generalizations are false.

Forum Links
Forum Rules