Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Filesharing and Music Sales � Scientifically Examinated

Filesharing and Music Sales � Scientifically Examinated
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/Fil..._March2004.pdf

A longstanding economic question is the appropriate level of protection for intellectual property. The Internet has drastically lowered the cost of copying information goods and provides a natural crucible to assess the implications of reduced protection. We consider the specific case of file sharing and its effect on the legal sales of music. A dataset containing 0.01% of the world�s downloads is matched to U.S. sales data for a large number of albums. To establish causality, downloads are instrumented using technical features related to file sharing, such as network congestion or song length, as well as international school holidays. Downloads have an effect on sales which is statistically indistinguishable from zero, despite rather precise estimates. Moreover, these estimates are of moderate economic significance and are inconsistent with claims that file sharing is the primary reason for the recent decline in music sales.

[...]
( Last edited by Developer; Mar 31, 2004 at 01:39 AM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 06:09 PM

amusing. the music bastards must be annoyed.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
... inconsistent with claims that file sharing is the primary reason for the recent decline in music sales.
Duh. Crappy music is the primary reason for the decline in music sales.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 06:20 PM

Yup, totally. When I read it, my first thought was "Duh!" as well.

tooki

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 06:50 PM

Yep now people can download a few tracks from an album, then say "I ain't paying for this crap", before they would have had to have bought it, then realised it was crap.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 10:15 PM

Well, I never bought tons of CDs, before or after filesharing. But I'd say that I actually buy slightly more CDs now, though, since I preview stuff I like, and if I really like it, then I want a pristine copy, and tracks that are often too obscure to land on the networks.

tooki

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Well, I never bought tons of CDs, before or after filesharing. But I'd say that I actually buy slightly more CDs now, though, since I preview stuff I like, and if I really like it, then I want a pristine copy, and tracks that are often too obscure to land on the networks.

tooki
same here, i used napster mostly for previewing albums before i bought so i could have a perfect copy of the song. now i use itunes for previewing, no more file-sharing at all.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 10:31 PM

For me, previewing a song means listening to it in its entirety more than once and seeing if I still like it after a week. A lot of songs' appeal wears off very fast. I buy music I know I'm going to listen to many times, for a long time.

tooki

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 01:03 AM

Downloading music allowed me to stop listening to music on the radio that I didn't really like, and introduced me to indie rock, which I really like.

CDs purchased per year before downloading: 1 or 2
CDs purchased per month after downloading: 4 or 5

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 31, 2004, 01:29 AM

Haha, I just read the title of this thread carefully... "examinate"!

That's not a word, in fact... the verb is "examine", and from that, the noun "examination" was formed.

tooki

P.S. Random linguistics lesson of the day: the process of taking a word and re-creating a root (be it the original one or not) is called "back-formation".

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 01:41 AM

Haha, very funny.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules